F1 Memorabilia | FerrariChat

F1 Memorabilia

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Soichiro, Nov 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Soichiro

Soichiro Rookie

Nov 9, 2004
    #1 Soichiro, Nov 9, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Soichiro

Soichiro Rookie

Nov 9, 2004
    #2 Soichiro, Nov 9, 2004
  3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Welcome to FChat!

Your collection is absolutely unbelievable. Beats mine hands down. Congrats! The steering wheels are cool, so are all the car parts.

Did you make the cutaway models yourself? They're awesome!

Post more of your stuff please, it is not often we see such a terrific collection.

4. Soichiro

Soichiro Rookie

Nov 9, 2004
    >>Post more of your stuff please
    Flattery will get you everywhere! Here is the complete rear wing off a 1986 Brabham, and a close up of the 1:1 and 1:4 F2003 steering wheels.

Yes, I make the cutaways myself. They are modified Tamiya or (I forget the brand name) another Italian kit. I have sold a cutaway Ferrari on eBay.

5. Soichiro

Soichiro Rookie

Nov 9, 2004
    #5 Soichiro, Nov 9, 2004
  6. Soichiro

Soichiro Rookie

Nov 9, 2004
    #6 Soichiro, Nov 9, 2004
    And here's the garage. The Ferrari nose is a replica, all others are real. I sold this nose recently on eBay. Apologies about the car in the foreground!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ok, sell your F1 memorabilia and with the money replace the car in the foreground...
    :)

Are you by any chance from South America? Reason I'm asking is, that about a year ago somebody from Brazil (?) offered me a Ferrari nose like that along with replica Senna etc helmets. I didn't go for the offer, but had to admit, that it was better than anything I've seen in the US. Here a replica nose like that would have cost a lot more.

Anyway, let me repeat my kudos about your collection. Absolutely fascinating. I've made cutaway models like that with some rocket models, but never thought about it for F1. Good idea. After all I've built similar kits from Tamya and always thought it was such a waste to build up the whole car and not being able to see the interior.

8. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

outstanding collection... thank you for sharing!

9. Soichiro

Soichiro Rookie

Nov 9, 2004
    I am not from Brazil. I live in Atlanta, but grew up near the Mosport track north of Toronto. Going to F1 races in the 70's was very different from today - you could simply walk into the pits, ask people for autographs etc. After a race they would throw damaged parts away and were available for the taking.

About 15 years ago I started collecting more seriously. At that time there were a few sellers of this stuff around the world. Now of course there are many more.

The Lotus stuff, including the nosecone from Senna's first win, came via a fax auction when Lotus went broke. It's a fascinating story, I don't think they really understood the value of what they had. Also, I had to wire the money to them. They then did nothing for 7 months(!), then sent my pieces by overnight FedEx (from Europe) in a wooden crate. The cost of that dumb move would have bought another piece! BTW the Lotus pieces are signpainted - the sponsor graphics are NOT vinyl decals like the rest, but painted by hand. Beautiful work, not seen nowadays. The best F1 paint is on a Benetton piece, but the CART pieces I've collected have much higher quality paintjobs. Must be something connected with weight (make the F1 paint as thin as possible?).

gm

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Totally awesome. Yes, the F1 decals are intended to be as thin as possible. CART has a higher car weight, so they don't have to go to extremes. Speaking of: I noticed the CART engince cover with the hole for the pop off valve. Cool.

I got lucky a few years back at a USGP in Indy where a guy was trying to sell some pieces from IRL and CART and the F1 fans couldn't care less. That's how I ended up with a real carbon fibre nose section.

You were obviously lucky on your Lotus deal. Bankrupt F1 teams are always a good source. Similar lucky strikes were possible recently with Arrows.

Currently one can buy Ferrari F1 memorabilia at their shop in Maranello and the Sauber team also has a shop and website where they sell some of their stuff, but all to horrendous prices.

11. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i'm blown away... Steering wheel room... LOL, that's awesome...

12. cram

cram Rookie

Sep 22, 2004
    just a question. is that senna lid an actual senna helmet? my f1 collection isn't as diverse as yours but more concentrated on anything and everything ayrton senna. the reason i ask is i just dropped a large amount of money a few years ago on a signed 1988 helmet and balaclava from the ayrton senna foundation and i have yet to meet another person with an authentic senna lid.

and i lve your cut away mp4's

-marc

13. Soichiro

Soichiro Rookie

Nov 9, 2004
    When Ayrton was alive I was offered a race-winning helmet of his for $8,000. I declined. Soon after his death the same helmet changed hands for nearly $25,000. Then, at a charity auction in Monaco, the same helmet went for $50,000.

Obviously it was time to act. I took an old helmet and had it painted in Ayrton's colours for $150! It goes well with the car parts and pictures of his car.

I did meet Ayrton coming back from the Canadian GP in .... 1993 I think. He was the person ahead of me in the customs line. I said to my buddies Geez that guys looks like Senna, and of course they thought I was nuts. I followed him into the duty free store and had him sign my boarding pass, which is framed alonside the picture of him sitting in his McLaren.

14. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    phenomenal collection!

15. 250GTE

250GTE Karting

Mar 21, 2004
    Outstanding collection!

16. cram

cram Rookie

Sep 22, 2004
    i spent a "little" more on the signed helmet and balaclava than what it went for at your auction, but it's one of the crowning pieces to my "shrine" i suppose you could call it...he's my hero. i'm VERY jealous of your lotus 97t nose cone...if you're ever willing to part with it, let me know ;)

i also met ayrton in phoenix with my wife in '91 by chance at a park just outside of the road course. he was strolling with gerhard berger and i nearly wet myself. the grand prix wasn't too popular back then, so they wern't being hounded or with an entourage so my wife and i respectfully caught up to them and shook their hands. i was kicking myself for not having a camera at the time, but i was definitely star struck and it is one of the fondest memories i have.

17. gerard.hansen

gerard.hansen Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Hattiesburg/Petal MS
    Full Name:
    Gerard D. Hansen
    Looking to sell if you are intersted, I Ayrton Senna upper a arm off of his first grand prix car a 1984 Tolman. I have many posters, Long Beach Grand Prix originals some, Detroit Grand Prix posters. Alpha Romera model 1/8 Pocher.

I also have many Cavalino magazines for sale. No 26 through 70. 3 no 47's and 3 no 46's.

Ferrari model cars, metal. Nose piece off of a 1979 Arrow's F1 car, also a wheel. Wing off of a off shore race boat, which belonged to Popeye's World Record Boat.

Boat Race Originals from the boat races in New Orleans. More stuff, but don't want to be boring.

Tim D.
    [email protected]

18. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Awesome collection soichiro - the steering wheels are fantabulous.... Maybe all you need is a 1:1 or 1:4 Ferrari F200X engine to go with it and you have a ready F1 museum