F1 Pump Relay Cycling... | FerrariChat

F1 Pump Relay Cycling...

Discussion in '360/430' started by DitPun, Feb 20, 2018.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DitPun

DitPun Rookie

Sep 16, 2016
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Srinivas Rao
    Hi All,

I have a 2006 F430 F1 Spider, and I recently purchased and installed the Scuding F1 pump relay; aka, "SMART EMT F1 RELAY ECU". What I've found is that I'm often getting the warning from the relay when I come to a stop ( e.g., a stop sign or red light) that the pump is on for too long, suggesting it's taking an excess amount of time to build/maintain F1 fluid pressure. (The error consists of a set of rapid beeps and the red led on the remote turning on. Both clear within a few seconds.) The car typically is in 4th or higher gears when this happens. I don't seem to get errors when doing more routine shifts, presumably because these are single gear upshifts or, at most, double gear downshifts. Of note, I haven't changed any of the standard parameters for the device, other than the audible confirmation of routine pump activation.

So my questions: is this normal? Do others notice this with routine driving when using this relay? If not, any suggestions on where I should start debugging would be appreciated. The F1 fluid was flushed ~14 mos. ago, but I don't have any evidence that the accumulator was changed in the cars life.

Thank, in advance, for your help

2. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I get the same warning beeps. I contacted Stef and he said its basically just something to watch out for.

I turned my beeps option off and set it to only come on when there is a valid fault.

All is quiet now :)

Dan

3. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Just a thought. Why are you in 4th gear or higher when coming to a stop? I always pop it into neutral.

02360spider likes this.
  4. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Dan. I watched the video on how to silence the beeps but still came away confused. I must be an idiot. Any hints? And do you have to run thru the whole programming cycle or just the first no beep procedure?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

5. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Bob, you are not an idiot by any means. The configuration set up mode is not easy to understand.

I made a cheat sheet and can email you a copy when I get home from work tonight. Kindly email me at [email protected] and I'll send you a copy tonight.

Dan

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

6. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks Dan. Will email ya

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

7. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    So Dan, is this a software issue with the product? Are the parameters in the software "too tight" or stringent? Thus causing an unnecessary warning?

8. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    are you sure you don't have a bit of air in the system, it will run longer if it is not building up hydraulic pressure, but a mix of fluid and air

DitPun likes this.
  9. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Dave, it's a feature of the smart F1 relay.

Stock mechanical relay has no beeps or warning indicators so the F1 pump can run for a long time with no warning to the driver and burn out the F1 pump.

Smart relay let's you hear the beeps on how long the pump runs before fully primed. Let's say norm is 10 seconds or 10 beeps. If you hear the pump starts talking 20 seconds or longer to prime it's to alert the owner that there may be pump issues.

I will post info from relay manual tonight

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

10. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Dan, not necessary, I have read the information on the website. I guess my question is: If they have set a warning to alert... is the warning warranted or not? Is this extended run time truly a problem? Or just something to monitor for the moment and the alert is more of an "advisory" versus truly a problem?

11. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Great question.

Its not a fault beep/message. Its an "indicator" beep to make the owner aware of how long pump runs.

12. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Okay, thanks Dan. I guess I am confused, as the OP is implying his pump is exceeding a programmed parameter and thus he is getting a series of "warning" beeps and it is displaying a red led. So this is not to be taken as a warning, but more of just "informational"?

13. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    There are 2 parts to this.

1) Beep. By default, the smart ECU beeps whenever the pump is running.

2) If the pump is running longer than the smart ECU is expecting it will record a fault which is shown as a red light. Then it beeps once the engine is off to let the driver know there is a stored fault. You retrieve the fault and in this case my understanding is the ECU is saying that the pump is running longer than the pre-programmed default.

14. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Thanks Dan. I guess the next question is how was the default run time determined? And if it is being exceeded, what is the recommended course of action?

15. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    Is the smart relay worth buying ? Can anyone post up where they mounted the notification panel.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

16. DitPun

DitPun Rookie

Sep 16, 2016
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Srinivas Rao
    Hey Dan, thanks for the feedback. I just turned off of the beeps that indicate the pump is running, as that got old very quickly. I left the beeps that indicate a fault on, and that's what seems to be happening now. Not every time I come to a stop, mind you, but maybe 10% of the time. It sounds like you're not hearing that, so I may have an issue.

Srini

17. DitPun

DitPun Rookie

Sep 16, 2016
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Srinivas Rao
    Interesting. I typically don't put the car into neutral at speed when coming to a stop. Even when driving a stick, I've always left it in gear until the rpms drop, and then pushed the clutch in and slipped into neutral. With previous DCT M3, it would also just downshift, as I recall. That's how I've been driving this car.

18. DitPun

DitPun Rookie

Sep 16, 2016
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Srinivas Rao
    Let's just say it took a few attempts! Definitely not obvious.

19. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Srini, I do get a fault beep about 10% of the time just like you. I just ignore it for now.

I will ask the dealer to check my F1 system when I bring it in for annual service next month.

Dan

20. DitPun

DitPun Rookie

Sep 16, 2016
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Srinivas Rao
    Hey Dan, thanks for the update. I, too, will get it checked out at the next service. However, I won't panic for now ;-)

Srini

whatheheck likes this.