F1 pump & relay on 2008 430 Scuderia | FerrariChat

F1 pump & relay on 2008 430 Scuderia

Discussion in '360/430' started by KJM3SMG, Jan 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KJM3SMG

KJM3SMG Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2006
    Loudoun County, VA
    Full Name:
    Karl - KJ
    According to my shop, this looks like this is in need of replacement. 5k miles on the car. How long do these things usually last? Is it the same type on the regular F430?

Clutch control solenoid seems to be affected but not sure until the above parts are replaced, according to my technician.

Any experience on these items? Looking for feedback as I get educated on these machines. Thanks!

2. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    Do you have good F1 system pressure?
    Are you experiencing rapid bleed down?
    Could the F1 pump motor be getting weak?
    Have you checked the amps at the F1 relay or at motor?
    It is my understanding that the F1 pump motors go bad before the pumps themselves.

May behoove you do put on SD2 for diagnosis.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    No way the F1 pump and 50 amp relay should need replacing in only 5 years. What does need doing if it has not been done (every 3 years) is an F1 fluid change and everything that goes with that (bleed, leak check, self test of F1).

XLNLIFE, whatheheck and f355spider like this.
  4. KJM3SMG

KJM3SMG Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2006
    Loudoun County, VA
    Full Name:
    Karl - KJ
    taz, did u mean 5k miles or 5 years? coz the car is 10+ years old. I've had it serviced regularly.

The car is at the shop now and I've been quoted $3800 total for it which seems pretty good.

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    What are your symptoms?

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Karl- The F1 relay and the F1 pump are not regular maintenance replacement items. No way they should need replacing at 5 years or 10 years unless there is a specific problem identified by the SD3. Especially not on a Scuderia with the latest generation pump and 50 amp relay. F355s, 360s and early 575Ms had problems with their 30 amp F1 relay, but much less of a problem with the 50 amp relay also used in the engine compartment of some Ferraris.

Zed82 likes this.
  7. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Replacing the F1 relay is relatively inexpensive...$85 part if memory serves me right, but ignoring a bad relay and continuing to use the car can result in a big repair bill.

I remember when I had my Scud in for service, the technician working on my car said there was a cautionary code that popped up (nothing ever showed up on my dash) and he recommended I just replace the darn thing, which I did. He was the one who explained to me that not replacing it could lead to costlier transmission problems down the road.

8. KJM3SMG

KJM3SMG Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2006
    Loudoun County, VA
    Full Name:
    Karl - KJ
    The car was not shifting properly and I heard a beep during my short drive. Then technician said the red light turned on that is the trans failsafe light. By not shifting I mean I was in 1st gear wouldn't shift up... until later, and the shifts seemed to stack up and queue and were delayed so that it went 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th... and even downshifting.

9. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #9 f355spider, Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    Relay really can't affect shifting the way the op describes, though replacing is simple and cheap, so worth a try. If it fails, it will fail "always off" meaning the pump won't turn on (no shifting), or "always on" (more common failure mode), meaning the pump is always running, so shifting is fine, until the pump motor burns up. ;) The relay is $20 for the factory part on Ebay from Ferrparts.

I'm hardly and expert on the subject, but as Taz says, pump failure is rare, and there are a lot of other things that could be a problem, like the accumulator, pump motor, or simply a fluid change is in order. Might want to get a second opinion, or at least an explanation from the technician on how he came about with pump and relay as needing replacement.

whatheheck likes this.
  10. KJM3SMG

KJM3SMG Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2006
    Loudoun County, VA
    Full Name:
    Karl - KJ
    He basically said "F1 pump is going bad". Of course I'd ask for the old parts. Would it be possible to test if the part is indeed going bad? This is the risk of going to any shop... how do u know they aren't just trying to replace a good part for extra work and part upcharge to bill for?

11. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2014
    on my F430, it has the same symptom. shop replaced potentiometer...

12. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    That makes alot more sense IMHO

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

13. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Flea7 likes this.
  14. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
  15. KJM3SMG

KJM3SMG Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2006
    Loudoun County, VA
    Full Name:
    Karl - KJ
    update, it's fixed. I was told by my service advisor that what he noticed was if u jump start battery, and leave it idling, it can burn out the F1 pump components? Is this true? If it is, I was better off buying 20 batteries on stand by rather than jump starting and idling.

16. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2014
    what was fixed?

17. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Prevailing wisdom on this board is that we never jump start our cars. Lots of threads about bad electrical gremlins resulting from jump starting...

Flea7 likes this.
  18. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    KJM3SMG likes this.
  19. KJM3SMG

KJM3SMG Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2006
    Loudoun County, VA
    Full Name:
    Karl - KJ
    what was fixed? replaced F1 pump and relay.