F1 Pump, the real deal repairs? | FerrariChat

F1 Pump, the real deal repairs?

Discussion in '360/430' started by DanielG, Jul 5, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DanielG

DanielG Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2005
    Veradale
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Okay, I have looked and looked for the answers regarding the F1 failures and the consensus appears that the majority here has had very good luck.

What I cannot find is cost of failures for the minority. I have found speculation for pumps, but real cost for hoses only not pumps etc.

So how about a culmination of hard facts only? And please no comments from the peanut gallery of "if you have to ask, you can't afford it". I can afford it, it just makes no sense if the cost of repair is out of proportion i.e. the alleged 20k pump is just stupid to me. It's basic hydraulic's controlled by a computer in a nutshell.

So if I can get some real data, I will put it all together somehow in a legible format. For this exercise I am looking at three cars that float my boat actually four depending on the outcome, to replace my 94TR. F1 would be great except for the above stated possible issue.
    Thank you everyone in advance for your help, here at Fchat I believe this could help many.
    360 F1
    F430 F1
    575 F1 (wrong group put could have interesting comparisons)
    the fourth would be a 550 obviously no F1.
    And a final question just to keep it all together, F1 clutch vs manual clutch cost for R&R.

2. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

can't agree more.

to be honest, I personally think that any experienced industrial hydraulic application practitioner can fix an f1 system like those in our cars. cost for repair should be less than a few thousands

I am currently dismantling my spare actuator and trying to replace all seals myself!
    People always say US $2000+ repair cost of the actuator at seattle or florida is a bargain and I can not agree! that repair should be less than $500. Even cheaper here in China.

plus , the pump is a repairable unit too, I did it for labor+material US $140 here locally in China and it worked like a charm

i mean, these are very basic applications, i am guessing we had these tech 50 years ago, although not an automobile application probably.

3. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    I have had a bit of experience here...
    The first issue I had was the hydro hoses. Ferrari wanted to replace the whole f1 kit, 28k. Had the hoses done by a race shop through my independent for approx $1800 installed. Then had a recurring issue with slow down light. Pump over heating. Thought it needed replaced but it turned out to be the E-diff solenoid. Turns out that is a common issue that can burn out the pump... That cost $1400 installed, part was $950. Actuators are about $2500 rebuilt or 18k for new.. Pump motors are approx $900.00 plus install. That is pretty much all that goes wrong.. Actuators from my understanding are rare and usually from no use. Hope this helps

Pj796014 likes this.
  4. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    if repairing a F1 pump is 20k, I guess you can easily retrofit the car to manual for less than that.

brookliner7 likes this.
  5. Jonkheer

Jonkheer Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Christiaan
    A replacement F1 pump for a early F430 (same as 360) costs about € 1800,- for only the pump at a Ferrari dealer in the Netherlands.
    They also replace de relay at the same time.
    With labor and taxes it is about € 2200,-.

There is a pump available that is exactly the same that Ferrari supplies but from Alfa Romeo that cost about € 500,-.
    I do not know the part number from Alfa Romeo.

6. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I believe the F1 pump is in the manual car, too, it runs the e-diff.

7. alkizz

alkizz Formula 3

Jun 27, 2015
    West Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Alton
    #7 alkizz, Jul 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Yes it is. AND for the other poster, a new pump isn't $20k. That is yet another urban legend being propagated on the net.

9. DanielG

DanielG Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2005
    Veradale
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    #9 DanielG, Jul 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
    Sorry for the confusion, What I said was F1 pump, I should have said the alleged 20k F1 system failure. Still basic parts used industry wide for many applications.

And this is what I'm looking for, keep the info coming. More hard real cost, not estimates.

Estimated or quotes:
    Hoses------------Actuator------------Pump-----------Whole System
    -----------------$2500 rebuilt---------$900------------$28000
    -----------------$18000 new

Actual cost:
    $1800

10. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    You need the e-diff solenoid on that list. If it goes the tranny will not shift correctly

11. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    Many of the pump failures I have seen are a direct result of unresolved issues within the F1 system. They last many, many years and aren't expensive to replace. It is a non-issue, that has been made into an issue.....

12. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    Eddie what do you find as the biggest issue in the F1 system?

13. fahlmanb

fahlmanb Karting

May 14, 2014
    Mount Pleasant, MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Fahlman
    I had my pump replaced at the MI Ferrari dealer last Fall:

F1 pump: $2783.57 (includes 10% discount)
    labor: $675

Hope this helps.

14. London

London Karting

Aug 29, 2009
    London
    This is the Alfa Romeo pump: Brand new Genuine Alfa Romeo 147 Selespeed Pump 51736315 12 Months warranty | eBay

P/N 51736315, £215 shipped

Swapping out the electric motor only is a 1 hr DIY job.

15. DanielG

DanielG Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2005
    Veradale
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Not making and issue, just want hard facts for when crap occurs, because it does. And if it happens to occur to me I want to know in advance hard facts. If it's 1 in 5000 cars I still want to know the real deal and I'm guessing others also.

16. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I have had the CS for 5 years and no F1 pump issues. I did buy the Ricambi heat sink to help with the heat, shortly after I got the car..

The pumps are not expensive. To pay $2700 ++ is just a badge of honor and grab your ankles pricing. It took all of 10 seconds to find this one and there are some very good videos available on replacing them in about an hour. $425

Electric Motor 12V DC for F1 Pump Ferrari 360 430 Maserati Lamborghini E Gear | eBay

17. fahlmanb

fahlmanb Karting

May 14, 2014
    Mount Pleasant, MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Fahlman

It's very true that the motor can simply be swapped without the need of flushing the system. However, I wouldn't overlook replacing the pump. Mine had internal deterioration & they found metallic fragments in the fluid that had to be removed by extensively flushing the system...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    If I remember correctly, when the pump 'only' is replaced there is no fluid leakage. If you had allot of debris, I would think it came from somewhere else.

$425 is for the pump. Flushing the system and replacing the fluid is always a good idea... it's just not a $2700 idea. :)

19. DanielG

DanielG Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2005
    Veradale
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    #19 DanielG, Jul 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
    Thank you everyone for your responses. I'm trying not to create a debate of should of could of, I know a guy who can do it cheaper, Alfa part conversions etc.

I must quote Sgt. Friday.." just the facts Ma'am"

Estimated or quotes:
    -----------------$2500 rebuilt---------$900------------$28000
    -----------------$18000 new

Actual cost:
    $1800--------------------------------$3458.57

20. fahlmanb

fahlmanb Karting

May 14, 2014
    Mount Pleasant, MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Fahlman

To clarify, the price of my pump replacement was the actual cost, not an estimate :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Actual costs last year......

Marelli F1 Pump £200, fitting 90 minutes labour plus fluids £150.

Actuator is listed on Eurospares at £3900 plus tax. Complete F1 system £9000 plus tax.
    I believe Ferrari have reduced the prices recently and I'm sure when I've looked in the past the actuator was more.

Like others have said these should be simple and inexpensive to repair if the metal parts are in good condition.

22. Joegnsx

Joegnsx Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 1, 2012
    Valrico, FL & Franklin, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Gliksman
    Actual cost--F1 pump and electric motor $425. Labor was 30 minutes of my time (only the electric motor). I've read the pumps are quite robust.

23. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    I've heard pumps priming for 25 seconds or more on opening the drivers door, even when stood for short periods. Many fail to spot, or don't bother to repair the issues which cause the pumps to be running for longer periods and at shorter intervals. Leaking actuators, lines, bleed blocks and weak accumulators are all typical culprits. Yet the blame gets levelled at a pump that is often at least nine years old anyway. I'd say four in every ten cars I see are running around with underlying F1 issues.

24. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    You need to add the e-diff solenoid. It is part of the F1 system and if goes the car will not shift. It is $950 from ferrari + install.

25. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I always take note of the length of time the pump primes when the door is opened. So far, no leaks, fluids cleaned and maintained, hoses fine..... ~10 seconds of priming.