F1 race in downtown Miami being discussed for 2019. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F1 race in downtown Miami being discussed for 2019.

Discussion in 'F1' started by 11506apollo, May 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I hope they don't kidnap Vettel.....

BMWairhead likes this.
  2. V12 Speciale

V12 Speciale Formula Junior

May 22, 2017
    I wish they would have the Canadian GP, United States GP, Mexican GP AND Brazilian GP all in consecutive order. It just seems funny that they go from Spain, Monaco than fly over seas to Canada and than back to Europe. They always say the European season starts with the first race after the Canadian GP but really the Spanish GP is the start.

If they had Canada at the end of September or first week of October it would still be great weather than they could work their way south

3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Until 1982, that's when it was, and the weather was often bone-chillingly cold and/or wet. It's better in June.

4. Hmmmmm....:rolleyes: 'Know not of Danny's exploits off track. Mebbe I could swap tales of Tim Richmond's daliences with ya..... :)

5. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Some are probably puzzled about my comment. Danny was in a Miami Vice episode playing a driver in the GP of Miami. He picked up a hooker named Florence Italy, then dumped her body on the road course the night before. Crockett and Tubbs investigate and discover it is actually Danny's father that was the killer.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

FerrariFR33458, tifosi12 and crinoid like this.
  6. Aaahhh, yesss. I remember reading that he would be on the show but missed seeing it (Miami Vice was not a priority of mine). Quite the coincidence, as Richmond had a part in a movie too.
    I don't remember what movie and I saw it not also.

Thanx for the info. You're mention of Danny and the hooker had me thinking in another direction (real life) regarding Tim....probably resulting in his death.

7. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Would the city of Miami be willing to cough up whatever $$$ the FIA and FOM wants?

8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #34 Nembo1777, May 4, 2018
    Last edited: May 4, 2018
    Good one:)

I attended the Indycar or Champcar race downtown Miami several times as well as the IMSA one, it was a bit chaotic and a hassle to park but there was a nice atmosphere. I got to meet Montoya there briefly when he was honorary starter (and a 1000 watt smile from his wife Connie:)).

The key is the transportation logisitcs so yes the subway or whatever they call it would come in handy. Re traffic they could learn a lot from how it is handled around the Speedway at Indy, very smartly.

I would definitely come for a Miami GP but yes as Barton says October means hurricane risk and it already happened in the 80's for the first IMSA city race. For F1 it would be a huge disaster. Food for thought...I think Melbourne has a guaranteed first race agreement but Miami could be the second one right after...

9. Of course, 'depends on the crunched numbers and how well they're presented. I gather we'll know soon enough.

10. As it was at the monsoon shortened original IMSA Miami GP (not quite bone chilling, but 'still ended up with pneumonia attending) in late February, 1983.

11. You're first sentence above is exactly why what is said is said....Canada is not in Europe. ;)

12. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ira, you liked my post. Do I take it, you'd be at the Miami GP as well?

Would be nice to meet up if it comes to fruition.

13. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    From the look of the white car I'd say our very own Mr. Glick was involved. :)

14. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  15. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    If this GP happens, it'll be the first time in F1 history that a Ferrari or Mercedes will be carjacked on track.

Finlander and F2003-GA like this.
  16. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    I thought Miami was a done deal; should have been announced by now..........from someone here. Barton? Other?

17. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Andreas- I am in FL often (and keep my Ferrari there), so I'd look forward to a Miami GP- see you there!
    Ira

18. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    3 things: You may well be right about Vegas, but 1) Does NASCAR doing well in Vegas mean F1 will? Not too many crossover fans, NASCAR vs. F1. 2) What other US venue could handle SEMA or CES? Isn't Vegas the biggest expo area in the land? If not, there isn't much competition 3) Vegas may be just as much as a negative as a positive. I, for one, would pay extra NOT to have to go to Vegas.

19. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Part of the problem is you have to literally close off that part of the city for almost a week. Long Beach has the same problem. Its disruptive to business in the area.

For Long Beach they literally have to find alternative housing for some residents who complain about the noise.

Not everyone likes racing.

20. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    :D:D:D

21. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    My point is that race fans have no problem going to see outdoor racing events in Vegas twice a year.

Second, Sema could move anywhere it wants but it likes Vegas because it attracts a huge west coast crowd. And it's cheaper compared to most venues. Orlando and Chicago have larger convention space than Vegas. Luckily Vegas is adding a huge new wing in two years.

22. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    The City Commission votes on it on May 11.

I just spoke with a major Miami player who was intimately involved in the original Miami Grand Prix
    and construction of Homestead International Speedway and he says that Homestead/ISC has $20M to
    $30M to fight the GP being run downtown and they want the Grand Prix at Homestead running at
    night.

Also, the proposed date is in October, not March as previously expected.

BHW

23. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  24. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name: