F1 race in downtown Miami being discussed for 2019. | Page 7 | FerrariChat

F1 race in downtown Miami being discussed for 2019.

Discussion in 'F1' started by 11506apollo, May 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

This is a pity, IMO.

georgia and Simon^2 like this.
  2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I greatly enjoyed various versions of the Miami GP in the 90' an early 2000 (Imsa and then Champcar) but walk a block west and there was garbage, depressed shops, not very impressive.
    It's a pipe dream but having the course in Miami Beach would be fantastic -and there are some nice curves here and there, not just 90 degree block corners- but that would never be accepted...or would it?

3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Parts of Alton Road are a hoot to drive, even in a road car!

Nembo1777 likes this.
  4. Sadly true of most forms of pro racing I'm afraid... They have to meet the demands of the audience.

'Been stating that since I got on this site. Sign of the mentality of the newer "racing fans". :(

(Qualifier: 'not denigrating anyone; 'just been my observation)

5. The Bicentennial Park circuit was great, for sure. 'Worked for GTPs and CART which went pretty good but hard to make it meet FIA standards for F1 methinks.... :shrug:

6. V12 Speciale

V12 Speciale Formula Junior

May 22, 2017
    Toronto is much much bigger than Miami.....its the forth largest city in North America, some americans would hate to admit that.

It also has the worst traffic in North America, study just came out this year.

.......do you see why this is relevant.

7. (A) Why would someone "hate" to admit it?

(B) So they're "used to" traffic then, right? So are Miamians (Is that a word? 'Doesn't look right...:))

(C) No. Elaborate, please...'really curious. :)

8. V12 Speciale

V12 Speciale Formula Junior

May 22, 2017
    Toronto is much larger than Miami.......there is never a fuss......Toronto is proud of the GP every year.

Toronto traffic is as bad as it comes.......there is never a fuss......Toronto is proud of the GP every year.

Toronto is very crowded.......there is never a fuss......Toronto is proud of the GP every year.

This is an INDY race not an F1. F1 would bring A lot more money to the city than Indy but still the race goes on because they are happy to be the only Canadian race on the Indy calendar.

No sarcasm just explaining that not all street circuits are poo poo'ed on by the locals

9. I gathered all that from your post I replied to. No sarcasm here either, but, other than the rhetorical "penis size envy" syndrome, what's the relevance to holding a race in Miami?
    My southern neighbors, heck, S. Floridians in general, are not race fans. ;) (don't even mention Homestead, that came along 20 years ago and all that's left is NASCAR, which is a diff cup of tea...)
    I'm with TheMayor in this case:
    Miamians (?) are not just all snowbirds from Toronto, so what makes you think they feel the same way? It's great to be able to vote, have representatives, etc., etc., no? :)

10. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I live in Florida and would not attend a Miami GP. F1 needs to get their head out of their butts on this one and rengage Vegas where they have accommodations, infrastructure and knowledge of managing a spectacle and an ancillary draw for fans. Imagine a nigh race in Vegas.

11. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    The opposition to the Miami Formula One Grand Prix is being led (and let's not kid ourselves here)
    by Homestead/ISC which I'm told has $20M - $30M to spend to try and upend the event from taking
    place.

As pointed out in the Florida Section, they're using scare tactics to try an convince residents, even
    all the way down in Brickell that the noise from F1 is "louder than a jet engine" and how set-up and
    tear down of the circuit is going to affect traffic for "weeks on end".

Then, there's this whole thing about how its going to cost taxpayers $50M ($500M over the course of
    a 10 year contract) to pave the streets to FIA standards. Given how most of the avenues around
    Miami are like driving on the moon, not sure how this is a bad thing. Now, if they'd just get the stop
    lights coordinated, we'd be all set!

Seriously, from the beginning, the proposed Miami Formula One Grand Prix was facing a long
    uphill battle. We remember what a fight Homestead/ISC put up when the Miami Grand Prix of
    the Americas was here in 2002-03 to the point where it was not certain the '02 event would
    even happen right up until the first practice session as their last gasp effort to thwart the event
    was turned down and the Commission gave the thumbs up moments before the first session
    started.

Everyone may B&M about Miami but the thing is, this event is happening so come down and
    join us, wait till you see what we've got planned already, its going to be epic!

BHW

tifosi12 likes this.
  12. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Louder than a jet engine? LOL. We all wish F1 cars were actually loud again. We all know they're not. Sadly.

Traffic being affected for weeks on end? Not so. Not in Monaco, not in Singapore, not in Montreal, not in Baku. Simply not true.

Yeah, street paving could cost money. As it should. Streets are supposed to be smooth. Duh.

I don't know this Homestead/ISC but what's wrong with them? A GP especially at the freebie deal Miami is getting from Liberty is a great way to promote a city and to get $ into the tax coffers from all the visitors over the weekend. Plus I'm sure with all the South Americans living in Miami there is probably a good home crowd of people who would attend the race as well.

13. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  14. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

You didn't fall for that one, did you ?

Unless an event is completely financed by sponsorship up front, it always ends up being a drain on the public purse: the local tax payers.

Those who benefit from large events are big companies, some traders and the hospitality business.

Studies have been made about major events like Olympics, Football World Cup, major tournamants held in different countries.

Invariably, the majority of résidents around these events see their taxes go up to sponge part of the organisation cost.

15. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Let's wait and see what happens in Sept. Just so you know.....

Miami very unlikely to happen next year I (Tobi Gruner....my computer does not have the umlaut u) was told today. So only 20 races in 2019. #AMuS

16. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    The Miami GP will be moved to 2020.

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Fair enough. Just hoping it'll happen then for sure. I'm starting to run out of GPs to attend, so instead of going to Miami next year I'll book another city venue: Monaco :)

18. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Also Andreas, I saw an article where Miami wants to hold the GP for the next 20yrs...:eek: If I find it I will post. Should not be that hard to find.

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks!

That'd be terrific. I'm perfectly fine with an annual trip to Miami. Easy to do and easy to sell to the wife. :) Unlike going to Austin, which gets stale after a couple times. Montreal is awesome but I've been there now six times for the race, so I"m running out of things to do outside the GP. I'd love to go to more Euro races but they're all in the middle of summer and Europeans don't know AC.

20. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales

Miami set to vote on 20-year grand prix plan

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/miami-set-to-vote-on-20-year-grand-prix-plan-1061088/

also another new track proposal:

[​IMG]

21. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  22. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    New track layout in post 170 is better but that is clearly not the main issue...

23. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Putting together a street race takes a coalition of many parties, including people and business in the area as well as all the politicians, city services and departments (probably the Feds as well as local), insurance companies, banking, marketing and advertising groups, sales and sales support for tickets and vendors and an entertainment group.

This is NOT easy for a 4 day event.

24. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Tue and it can all end up a dismal failure: I was at Phoenix for the GP in 1990, a useless track and the best view of the only challenging curve was from...the prison's cells. Everyone wondered what they were doing there and a local ostrich race gathered a larger crowd....

25. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Miami delay means Hockenheim talks back on

JULY 24, 2018

A delay in Miami could have reignited Hockenheim's chances of staying on the F1 calendar.

It has now been confirmed that the 2019 schedule will not include an inaugural street race in Miami.

"We have decided to postpone sign-off until later in the summer, with the aim of running the first Miami grand prix in 2020," announced F1 commercial boss Sean Bratches.

The bad news out of Miami could be good news for Hockenheim.

It is believed Liberty Media may simply prefer to plug the calendar gap with a substitute race, even though talks for a 2019 German grand prix broke down recently over the cost.

But Hockenheim's Georg Seiler told Kolner Express: "I'm not interested in whether Miami is on the calendar.

"I thought we would not be back until 2020, but I've also heard that Liberty Media is interested in being in Germany in 2019 as well.

"We are curious as to what they propose," he added.

Seiler also told the Mannheimer Morgen newspaper that he would need a decision about 2019 "in the next few weeks".

He wants a deal with "no financial risk", and bemoans the lack of government support. Last weekend, Seiler met with German federal minister Andreas Scheuer.

"If politicians are interested in keeping formula one in Germany, that's a good sign," he said. "But we are far from that."