F1 ROLEX SAKHIR GRAND PRIX 2020: RACE ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄▀▄ | Page 23 | FerrariChat

F1 ROLEX SAKHIR GRAND PRIX 2020: RACE ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Dec 5, 2020.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    What Schumacher was accused of was assumed to be traction control was actually the blown diffuser. As Vettel showed years later, if you're confident how to use it, you'll be untouchable.

Senna also didn't understand Schumacher's driving style and how he used the throttle to manipulate the car.

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    That shows just exactly how good that Merc is over the rest and how bad Bottas is. Doesn't know the buttons, doesn't fit in the chassis, 1 size smaller shoes...only a couple of sessions in the car. Was winning the race, team ****ed up royally...gets it all back, tyre failure...another pitstop, and finishes just 2 seconds behind Bottas.

375+, stavura, Nortonious and 2 others like this.
  3. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Dan Ricciardo left RB because Max was getting preferential treatment, we Aussies don't take second place to anyone.

DR was more than a match for MV but that doesn't mean Max wasn't good, he just lacked the racecraft Dan has but he is getting better :)

4. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Hahahaha good one mate, I didn't think you'd do it :p

I like the fact LH is out there all the time doing pitstop practice ....... what !!!?? He's not ?

Oh well :D

5. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Natkingcolebasket69 and ktu like this.
  6. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Very true mate, Nico was better than him as was Button who I think was highly under-rated :)

jpalmito and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  7. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    That bloody big rock !!!

Sorry, I hate Michael for going skiing, would love to see him teaching the young drivers of today , such a waste

greg328, JJ and jpalmito like this.
  8. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Neither did Barachello (who was a lot closer to Michael).

Michael wanted the front end absolutely planted and would use the rest of the controls (mainly throttle and brake) to position the rear of the car. This end up very fast but hard on tires--which was not so bad in the days before pit lane speed limits (saved 5-8 seconds a stop).

In my own F355 I have noticed that I can make the car turn in strictly on brakes, As you add pressure to the brake pedal, the fron end pulls the car into the turn, just before the retardation is great enough to make the car push out of the turn. So, you an dial in about 15% of normal steering angle, and hit the brakes (50%-60%-ish) and the car will just turn right in wihout any more steering effort. If you do this with the foot still on the gass, you can release the brakes smoothly and the car will stop turning in and start tracking out (all without moving the steering wheel.) It is hard on the rotors (weenie roasting hot once you get back to the pits.)

Bas, ktu and DF1 like this.
  9. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Daniel demonstrates this year again he is one of the best in Formula one.
    We already know that since 2014 to be honest.
    Nevertheless his last year with Max in 2018 was not just about preferential treatment.
    With more experience young Max was a lot better than before in race pace and the new chosen one by Horner and co.
    I don’t think Daniel could beat the 2020 Max even on the same material, but that’s just my assumption.

10. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet

It seems that when Hamilton goes on vacation by the Red Sea, it immediately opens up under his feet..

11. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    Remember the guy who rode Secretariat? Man O War? Me neither.

Nortonious likes this.
  12. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    #562 LamboLover, Dec 8, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
    Mercedes wasn't a powerhouse when they signed Lewis though, their only relevancy at the time was being the final seat for a GOAT driver. Lauda played a role into bringing Lewis there & a lot of people questioned Lewis' decision b/c Mercedes was unproven. Clearly it wasn't luck Lauda saw in him as a potential key to Mercedes' success.

The only "luck" involved was Mercedes mastering the hybrid era first.
    Lewis isn't going anywhere, & Toto has already said Russell's race will have no impact on negotiations. Suggesting 1 race might affect the negotiations is getting a bit high up in the clouds of "What if".

Lewis consistently delivers & has shown beyond the race craft, his ability to play the long-game (as another member said) by keeping the car under perfect control, is just as much contribution to his success. That's what Toto will have Mercedes pay for; reliability & veteran experience. Russell has had one race & while the car performed as it was expected, it's not enough evidence to prove Russell himself has finessed his personal approach to the race in the car. Would he adopt Lewis' strategies, or would he be like Max & Charles who are phenomenal drivers, but also very aggressive in their approaches which has led to some less than desired outcomes. It's a shame both drivers went out as they could have easily influenced Russell's race & shown areas Russell may need to strategize a bit when the situations arise. It has also already been said, Lewis has more than enough familiarity with the car to question team orders, Russell knows that would've been a very dicey move as a "rookie in the car" to question the team's decisions.

If anyone is a spot of uncertainty, it's Bottas. Bottas plays the perfect wingman for Lewis & Mercedes more than likely wants him in that role. Otherwise, it's been shown time and time again that despite the same race craft, Bottas delivers on Saturday & gets stuck behind a Renault on Sunday. If Mercedes are banking on the future, it's continuing to let Lewis' experience lead the way & put Russell behind him. George is still a young buck at 22 with 2 seasons under his belt & a guaranteed Williams seat for next year. Let Bottas' contract expire at the end of next year, sign Russell, & chances are he'll be more than content with learning from Lewis, knowing that Lewis will likely be out of the sport in 2-3 years if he resigns. This notion of Mercedes saving money also means placing some uncertainty into the future; Russell is not a guarantee replica of Lewis. Why risk if you can wait a year & have both.

It's as you said, Bottas was unfortunately the biggest loser of the weekend. Getting stuck with those worn hard compounds only amplified Russell outshining him. It would've been interesting to see if Russell had the ability to pass Bottas on more even terms, than making a bold, superb move as he did. Even while down, Mercedes apparently did not instruct either driver to swap.

And if anyone needs any further gossip to add to this, Bottas & Russell have reportedly removed Mercedes & Williams' from their IG bios.

13. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Why, are they getting highly discounted after Sunday?

sammysaber, stavura, JJ and 1 other person like this.
  14. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Well bottas is useless, I don’t want Hamilton replaced but Bottas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpalmito likes this.
  15. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

What’s interesting to me is:
    -Lewis fan praise him , rightfully so, for his pace, race craft etc That it’s not the car.. Got it.
    -Same folks(not you in particular) are now out there bashing vettel as trash whilst the guy won 4 in a row in a dominant car.

Lewis is likely above Vettel. No problem admitting this... but if it say Max in the Mercedes with bottas as a teammate he also wins 4 straight, same for rosberg etc.

I see no glory winning in such a dominant car with a weak teammate YET I’m not questioning LH skills and talents as he has proven them from day one but his first 3 titles home more value then those last 4 to me.
    The more I look at things objectively the more I value what Prost did. He faced real competition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Picchu88, 375+ and jpalmito like this.
  16. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I personaly think Charles is faster, and i think both of them are above the rest...mybe danny is third

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  17. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    According to Lauda, Mercedes R&D'd this turbo hybrid engine since 2007...7 yrs before anyone else. Mercedes, along with Renault, were adamant to get this formula passed in 2012.

I'll agree, every manufacturer agreed to this turbo hybrid formula. I will also agree that every manufacturer agreed to the token system and engine freezes at the time to cut costs BUT the token system and engine freezes also hampered engine development....in essence no parity with Mercedes and the rest of the engine manufacturers

The only time there were engine freezes as well was during the Vettel RedBull dominance era....but there was parity with all engine manufacturers.

So, given the rules and regulations of this turbo hybrid era, Mercedes "mastered" this turbo hybrid era...and Lewis, along with Rosberg, enjoyed the fruits of Mercedes labor with non-competitive ease...with the exception of 2017 & 2018 which Ferrari as a whole dropped the ball.

Going forward, drivers like Mazepin and Russell, whom have had little to no time in the car, prove just how dominant THE CAR really is. THE CAR laps cars halfway through the race (track specific). The only competitive driver Lewis has had in this turbo hybrid era was Rosberg.

There are other drivers on the grid who would be multiple WDC holders given THE CAR in this turbo hybrid era. Lewis is great...but so would others be as well.

Picchu88 and Bas like this.
  18. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    My hope is that you recognize this is nothing new to F1. Fangio's, Senna's, Scumi's etc. cars were crazy dominate at times. Most older people who follow F1 are wondering what's all fuss about Mercedes, they've already watched this movie before.

19. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    You can't compare era's rules and regulations.

During the Schumi era, the FIA, since 2000 thru 2005, tried to slow down Ferrari.

The FIA had done nothing to slow down Mercedes.

20. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    You just made my point, the Ferrari was so ahead FIA had to step in. So nothing new with dominant cars in F1. Still all champions who drove those cars are still worthy.

21. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Huh??? o_O

What has the FIA done in this turbo hybrid era to stop Mercedes dominance???

22. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Rules changing for 2022, but its irrelevant to my point of F1 has always had dominant cars.

23. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Yes 2022.

Yes, F1 has had dominant cars (you're not telling me what I and most FChatter's already know)...given the rules and regulations of said era.

ktu likes this.
  24. Zeus

Zeus Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2007
    Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    I haven’t read through this thread, so don’t know if this was posted before, but this is a photo of Lewis taken during Sunday's race:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

LVP488 and Igor Ound like this.
  25. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    haha I like that one!

Igor Ound likes this.