F1 system reliability ... | FerrariChat

F1 system reliability ...

Discussion in '360/430' started by W00dEar, Mar 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Is the F1 tranny as reliable as the traditional manual?

I assume, just like the BMW SMG system, both Ferrari manual and F1 use the same tranny, so quality and reliability of the parts should be the same. How about the electronic and software part of the F1 system?

The reason I am asking, is that there are many cases of SMG problem with BMW E46 M3, not the hardware problem, but all software/electronics problem, such as it shfts from 2nd to 5th straight skipping 3rd and 4th, etc. I personally will not own a SMG M3 once it is out of warranty period, but still the repair cost on BMW is no where near high as Ferrari.

So, in general, is the F1 system in Ferrari trouble free? If disregardnig price difference and the driving experience, only based on reliability alone, would you guys prefer F1 or manual?

2. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    this is an interesting thread as Iam in this position my self.

I think it faor to say the early 360f1 1999-01 were not reliable and there was a change from magneti to bosch which solved the problem.

I have a 355F1 and have had no problems at all but they 'can' give problems.

It is not uncommon for the actuator to go £2500 and if the pump goes tahts £7500.

I love the F1 but considering changing to a manual fro this reason.

Also with newer hardware and software being developed the system will be outmoded for example with DSG (for audi) it is a step above a single clutch system. I have not heard of software problems though. In the initial 360s yes.

Having said that ive not heard of the 'skipping change' scenario you mention and I would not say the F1 system is unreliable in general.

But to answer your question, based on relialility alone would you buy manual or F1, manual because the cost of rebuilding a complete gearbox is less than the actiuator alone