430 - F1 Transmission - P1741 code | Page 2 | FerrariChat

430 F1 Transmission - P1741 code

Discussion in '360/430' started by ditpixs, Sep 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ditpixs

ditpixs Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2019
    Nor Cal - Tracy
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Wanted to update this since it has been a week or two of troubleshooting with a lot of help from flash32. (Summary is the problem is still happening).

- Had battery load tested. It is fine per Interstate (2 yr old AGM).

- Lots of sensor checks and watching the voltage of the battery with car on/off and after it sits. We did find the alternator seems to be a running a bit low based on what I have seen with other cars. Running voltage with or without accessories on seems to be around 13.6-13.9 volts.

- F1 pressures are holding well / good leakage rates.

- P1741 cleared on its own the first time after sitting for a few hours and I was then able to shift again.

- Unable to repro error in the garage. Able to cycle through all gears with Launch. Dash reports correctly.

- Finally took out to try and repro. After about 15 min of driving and getting coolant temp up to around 90c, transmission light came on I was unable to shift from 4th to anything besides N. Coasted to a parking place (luckily). Tried to clear the error, but it was still active. It would let me get into R, but nothing else. Not wanting to get it towed again, I let it sit for 2 hours and came back. Fired right up and error was gone. Able to drive it home normally.

I did get a recording with the Launch of when it happened, but I am not sure how to interpret the values returned by the F1 potentiometers. It was showing the TCU calling for 3rd gear, but it never left 4th when it happened. Voltage seemed to be steady the whole time, but hard to really know given the launch refresh rate.

So next steps, unless there are other ideas, is to pull the actuator and inspect the pots, possibly replacing them (on order). If I notice any fluid leakage on that end, I will probably have the actuator rebuilt by GTE.

@flash32 - Anything else I am missing?

flash32 likes this.
  2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I think you covered it all

Coming down to heat related issue.. so it definitely points to a bad sensor or possibly a alternator issue

Since you have the parts on order .. I would start there

Remember that a shop would have saw the error and started there anyway ..we were trying to be too scientific and took our time to see if voltage was coming into play

At this point we need to start somewhere and the sensor given everything we did would be my vote

In my prior life . We used to call this analysis paralysis .. lol .. ..as i mentioned i always try to get to the most likely part since parts with Ferrari tax is a killer

Hopefully it was time well spent

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

ditpixs likes this.
  3. ditpixs

ditpixs Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2019
    Nor Cal - Tracy
    Full Name:
    Aaron
  4. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    My original pots had a smear of that grease but nothing like the quantity you have there.

5. ditpixs

ditpixs Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2019
    Nor Cal - Tracy
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    That's interesting. I'm thinking of cleaning it up, replacing the sensors with new ones and seeing what happens. What's odd is there isn't anything in the docs that mention using a grease at all.

6. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    There does seem to be an excessive amount there. I also reassembled mine without that grease and all is well.

FYI my project thread has some details of how to confirm if the pot readings are sensible.

flash32 likes this.
  7. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    The problem is that the sensor starts acting up with heat so i was guessing measurements cold wouldn't reveal anything.. i had suggested that but then rethought it

mwstewart likes this.
  8. frankgoodson

frankgoodson Rookie

Dec 25, 2008
  9. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
  10. ditpixs

ditpixs Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2019
    Nor Cal - Tracy
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Well hopefully this will be the final update… I replaced the F1 sensors, cleaned out 90% of the grease I found in there and put everything back together. Did a re-learn with my launch before starting the car and that procedure completed properly. I was able to shift through the gears using the launch and the dash matched up correctly.

So…Finally had time and a clearing in the weather this AM to take her out and it seems that the shifting issue is resolved with the new sensors.

One note is that before I did the relearn, when I would use the launch to cycle through the gears while the actuator was off the transmission, the dash would occasionally show the incorrect gear number. I suspect this was just due to having not done the re-learn yet, and I didn’t want to do that with the actuator off the transmission.

Of course, in the process of putting the cat back on, something wasn’t lined up correctly with the header/donut gasket so I had an exhaust leak. Took it apart and then managed to break one of the welded bolts which mount the muffler to the exhaust flange. A trip to a local exhaust shop and $60 solved that issue (just ended up using a new bolt and nut once the broken on was removed). Once all back together, the leak was resolved and everything seems good so far.

Also interesting - Serkan @ GTE called me yesterday and said there should be a reasonable amount of molly grease or similar in there and it is not documented since it isn’t considered a user-serviceable part. His thought was that whomever put that together may have had a rough night and was distracted :) Not sure it could cause my issue, but probably didn’t help.

And a pic since she got a much needed bath before the rain comes back tonight.

Many thanks to those who have helped me work through this, especially to @flash32. Dominick has been my biggest supporter and I am grateful to call him a friend.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Glad to hear everything worked out .. definitely made another friend..thank you

ditpixs and Schmidty23 like this.
  12. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    Hummmh...

looked up code P1741 again in my dictionary and it translated to:

"time to convert to 6-speed manual"....

glad all worked out :)

Jackson32, ditpixs and Qavion like this.
  13. ditpixs

ditpixs Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2019
    Nor Cal - Tracy
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I had that thought… but this was a $500 fix and not 30k :)

DOWORKFCAR, catdog, DBomb117 and 2 others like this.
  14. Jackson32

Jackson32 Rookie

May 29, 2017
    North Carolina, U.S
    Full Name:
    Jackie
    I too have the same error on my 07 430, It shifts fine until it gets warm and then will go into a limp mode where it will not shift past 2nd. After it cools down, code clears on its own and I am able to shift in all gears then the issue re-appears. Unfortunately I have had left the bonnet open and completely drained the Optima battery, which I have had on a charger for two days and still will not fully charge, may have killed it. I'll have to pull it and have it tested.

15. ditpixs

ditpixs Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2019
    Nor Cal - Tracy
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    @Jackson32 Sorry to hear you are having a similar issue. Mine actually wouldn't even really go into limp mode - when it was at its worst I was left with R and N until I let it sit for a few hours.

I would definitely make sure you have a solid battery which test to 12.6 volts when the car is off and comes back after a load test.

Do you have a tool like the Launch to read the codes and monitor voltages as well as the signals coming from the potentiometers? I would be curious to know what code(s) you are seeing.

Jackson32 likes this.
  16. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    If you guys need help brainstorming let me know ..

17. Jackson32

Jackson32 Rookie

May 29, 2017
    North Carolina, U.S
    Full Name:
    Jackie
    Yes, Just purchased a Launch after reading through your thread, should be here by Thursday. I'll be able to dig into on Saturday. I'll get batt tested and then Post codes.

ditpixs likes this.
  18. Jackson32

Jackson32 Rookie

May 29, 2017
    North Carolina, U.S
    Full Name:
    Jackie
    Thank you, will do. And very appreciated.