F1 vs. 6 SPEED | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F1 vs. 6 SPEED

Discussion in '360/430' started by JC360, Mar 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com

I thought of getting the F1 in the first place because I couldn't not find a 6-Speed 360 anywhere. I first thought "it's a Ferrari, who cares about Automatic or Manual right?". Well, I was wrong the moment I drove the 6-Speed.

I drove both the F1 & the 6-Speed, and I'm sorry to say that I find the F1 very disappointing. It shifts slower than I expected and I don't understand why the F1 transmission would kick to "N" while waiting in the traffic. Also I hate the fact that any one who can't drive a stick can just get in my Ferrrari, press the "Automatic" button and drive away.

Most importantly, you do not get the feeling of the Manual-Shifting in the F1. I really enjoy the actual clutch that my left feet and stump on and the "Cling-Clank" sound of the gated shifter everytime I shift.

The previous statements are IMHO of course, I understand everyone has thier own opinions towards Auto Vs. manual.

However, to show you how bad I wanted a manual. I end up paying almost $40,000 over MSRP just because I insist on this:

2. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    A closer look:

3. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
  4. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    well of course you have what best suits you.

Its clear from so many of these posts that many have not spent time with the F1 and therefore cannot give a true opinion.

It rather reiterates my point before, that to get a balanced view you have to ask people that have OWNED BOTH manual and F1.

You cannot have any idea from a long test drive and with the car in sport mode - to say its a slow change im afraid is WAY wide of the mark!

You know its all going down hill when individual talk about 'pressing the auto button' no serious person uses the auto switch for the F1, autochange is not what it was designed for. And that the problem with posts like this- all the gear and no idea!!

5. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I guess I'll throw my thoughts in on this one. I had an 01 F1 360 coupe, now I have an 04 spider with gear shift, and I can honestly say I like them both. The F1 is great in the curves, keeping both hands on the wheel and downshifting through a corner, it can be a bit of a pain in traffic. I do agree that in takes time to really get used to the F1 and how get the most out of it. A test drive just wont do it for most people.

I do have to say that I feel more connected to my new car with the gear shift, hey it could be just me but I feel more in control when I'm driving the gear shift. I do have a paddle shift Maser coupe which I love so I guess I go both ways. I do not think I would ever say I would not own a Ferrari if all they made was one or the other. For me there is a feeling I get from driving these cars that I have never had from any other car I've driven and it starts at the wheel in the waythe car handles,and the way the car performs, the way the engine sounds. All those things to me make up the driving experience.

6. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    People say the F1 is more difficult or cumbersome around town or in traffic. Why is that? I would think the opposite?

7. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    You'd think so, but my buds with F1's tell me the weakest aspect of the F1 is a smooth, slow takeoff from a stop in traffic, and puttering along at slow speed, where it tends to lurch and buck. The faster the pace the better for an F1.

Gary

8. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    #Have to agree with you reference the "auto" button have used this only once just to see what it was like it feels awful but there again it might be okay on long distance driving,as I said prior I love the F1 gear shift and would certainly have to give very serious thought about going back to a manual and I further agree it can be a pain in traffic but as you get used to it you can "feather"it to work for you no prob.
    Dave Mc

9. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    I have only driven a new Maserati with the paddles and I was very disappointed. I expected the formula one type shifting, but was surprised by the lag felt during the engagement of the clutch and the shift. Even at full throttle, the shift seemed slower than any automatic I have ever had. Is the Ferrari version the same transmission?

10. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    The lurch and buck was also common on the M3 SMG's. On the M3 board it was referred to as the "washing machine cycle" Was very embarrassed a couple of times when my car just would go nuts and start bucking as I would pull away from a light or stop sign. I drove the car for two years and got pretty good at driving the car but still ordered the Spyder GT as I missed the clutch for fun drives. But I did feel it was a great feature over all, But will always come down to personal preferences. In a few years will not matter anyway as I think there will not even be a 3rd pedal option.

11. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003

well if its ones intention to mainly use an F1 car in town then I would buy a manual car.

What the F1 system lacks is consistency, so for example as the clutch and flywheel heat up in traffic it does not always behave in the way it would given almost identical situations. In fact its even more difficult in an early 360 F1 where you have drive by wire throttle.

12. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I've owned both. The passion on this topic (on both sides) shows that it is truly individual preference. I like the 6 speed more, but both have their place. Where I feel the F1 is particularly weak is low speed manuevers (for example backing up a hill). I experienced what I felt was excess clutch slipage and resultant "fried clutch" smell. For people who drive and park in cities, who want to back their car into a garage up a steep driveway, these might be issues.

Clutch wear may be an issue (it is difficult to know, as cars can be driven with vastly different levels of aggresiveness), and previous threads have suggested that the initial F1 option cost is not necessarily recoverable at resale.

Cheers!

Scott

13. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    well they eat clutches when people with 'all the gear and no idea' either

1. drive like a hooligan
    2. drive in auto mode like it was an automatic car
    3. do racing starts

Of the 5 F cars that I know they are both on original clutch at 16K miles

14. pozzi

pozzi Formula Junior
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 28, 2004
    Brasil
    Full Name:
    Fabio Pozzi
    Last week I followed an 360 F1 '03 during heavy traffic and seemed difficult to get a slow takeoff... the engine revs a lot first before engaging the gear... the guy was just pressing gas and brake, gas and brake.... when the gear engaged the car just jumped forward and the driver had to break... For sure it would be easy with the 6 speed... althout I thing that have traffic are not the place for f-cars...

15. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    well youve hit the nail on the head! the place for these cars for engine and gearboxes is on the open road not driving to the supermarket in traffic.

The problem is that the wrong people are buying them!!

16. banduga

banduga Karting

Mar 22, 2004
    Hong Kong
    I am also on the look-out for my first F-Car, and deciding between an F1 and a 6sp 360 for over a month. What I have read here has helped me make up my mind. 6sp for sure! Why?

I've test-driven both, and my findings were pretty much in line with what has been written here. Basically, low-speed was a nightmare. The clutch never seemed to sound like it was fully engaged! I'm probably being silly, but even at full trot, I still felt like I could hear it slipping!

Living in a concrete jungle, I know a lot of my driving will unfortunately be in heavy traffic, and I don't want to spend that time sounding like I'd just passed my driving test, especially with bystanders all around!

Having said that...

If I were to live in a place with easy access to wide open roads... it would be MUCH harder to decide.

17. pozzi

pozzi Formula Junior
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 28, 2004
    Brasil
    Full Name:
    Fabio Pozzi
    And the right people can't buy then.... LOL !!!

I will never put an F-car on heavy traffic... just for pleasure driving... without worry's on clutch, engine overheat...

For heavy traffic you have a lot of good options, as Audi and BMW... that can give you a LOT of confort, silence and other things to face heavy jams like we have here in Brasil...

18. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    having driven both f1 and 6speed 360s extensivelt, and 6speed 355s,..the f1 is diffenitely better for the track and racing just as shumi does it...however for very day driving the 6speed gives more to the driver to do and as someone who grew up loving sports and driving...i lov ethefeel of a good speed andclutch!!! ..i also worry about possible long term maintance issues...theres more that can go wrong with the f1...but you cant go wrong either way and i intially almost bught an f1 but i am very glad i didnt and got the 6speed

19. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    If it seemed like the clutch was not fully engaged then thats a matter for adjustment of the POS ( point if slip)

If its properly adjusted I would not describe it as a nightmare! obviously the car you test drove could have been better adjusted.

Im not defending any system but so much of whats written is because

1. its a test drive
    2. they dont know hoe to drive it
    3. they never OWNED and F1 to trully say what the differences are.,

AGAIN I state the only way you can offer valuable advice to a prospective purchaser is to HAVE OWNED BOTH and say WHY you feel the 6 speed is better or the F1 is better

Also many on here making comments aboiut the 360 manual. The 360 manual box is very good- far better than a 355 manual box so the input is not valid!

Lets help a person decide not come up with rather meanigless statements!!

20. Dino

Dino Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    San Diego
    Like it or hate it...it seems clear Ferrari (and other manufacturers) are producing more F-1 trannys than the 6-speed. I wonder what the thinking is there? I thought I read that 75% or more of future F-Cars were going with the F-1. Perhaps because the F-1 has been so successful in racing as a transmission.... Isin't it true that the F-1 produces a technically faster gear change and thus.... a faster car.... all other things equal??? Take care.

Dino

21. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Not all the time; There are two short straights at TWS where making a deliberately slow shift allows you to arrive at the next corner with the correct amount of speed so it can be taken flat out. A faster shift would require breathing the throttle or a touch of brakes, both of which upset the chassis; the later more than the former.

22. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    On the track the F-1 should post a better lap time, But in 0-60mph and 1/4 mile, 6 speed will win due to more aggressive clutch dropping. When I was buying my M3 SMG I was told the car would be quicker with it, But many road tests I have read showed the 6sp quicker off the line

23. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Seems there really is not right answer to this question, yes Ferrari is making many more F1 car than six speed, and since they get close to ten grand more for an F1 who can blame them. Traffic jams and stop and go driving is not fun in any car in my opinion. One thing I will say when I first bought my F1 car it took me alittle time to realy learn the best way to drive it, the six speed no time at all so during a test drive, I really doubt that anyone could master it in that limited time. I now have a gear shift and for me it is a better way to go, but I would say to anyone who was trying to decide, drive both, and not just once, take some twisties in the F1. If there is a Ferrari club get together near you go, there might be owners there with both, Im sure they would take you out for a ride, if you are with someone with experience with an F1 it might give you another perspective.

24. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    And in reality how many owners are 'dropping the clutch and driving their f car as thiugh they are road testers?? you only do that if you want your transmission all over the road and collect it in a hoover bag.

This is boys own stuff- lets get back to reality!

25. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Forgive my ignorance. Do the early 360's have drive-by-wire throttle and the later ones don't?

Gary