F1 vs. 6 SPEED | Page 3 | FerrariChat

F1 vs. 6 SPEED

Discussion in '360/430' started by JC360, Mar 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    good point

2. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    What is the 'early' 360(99-?) and what is 'later' 360? Which years?

3. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    they all have drive by wire. except the very early cars were magnetti which for reliability and other issues was changeg. The later 360 because of software improvements seem to be a bit smoother.

4. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    they all do

5. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    ok a good point?????

how often have f car drivers in normal driving revved the car to 8K and then dropped the clutch?? these comparisons are silly!

6. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    My '04 360 F1 works in slow traffic very well. No lurching or problems starting off. And, if one were to have problems starting off in first, you can always do it in second as the manual states to get an even smoother slow speed takeoff.

Having said that, driving my F1 in traffic scares the you know what out of me because of the clutch slippage. You can't modulate the clutch as you would in a manual and it will add up to much more wear and tear. Whether my concern is valid or not I don't know. I'll let you know after I need my first replacement clutch.

7. 512tr

512tr Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    montreal
    Full Name:
    tony
    I have driven a F! 360 on the track it was amazing shifting in the corners, both hands on the steering and one foot doing all the work, A lot less to think about and just full out driving. I think that this is what the design of the F! transmission was meant for, certainly not for traffic situations Being part of The Ferrari Club in my region each year we participate in couple of parades and if I wouldn't know better the impression of SOME guys with F1 Transmission was that they didn't know how to drive a standard it sounded like they were riding and popping the clutch and you could hear the remarks from the onlookers.

As for resale value of a F1 360, I think it will deter a lot potential buyers if the car is out of warranty. The repair costs are totally out of whack and especially if the buyer is one that has worked hard to save up for this car like most of us, well than this might keep him/her away for the car. I have heard of already 3 cases from my region of cars out of warrant with burnt clutches and all 3 owners have their regrets.

JMHO

8. urraco

urraco Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Mexiko
    Full Name:
    Nitram
    if I was gonna buy me a 4RE . I'd make sure it'd be a totally differnet driving experience thing than any other car so I'd go all the way and get the F1 transmission. no doubt about it.

9. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have been struggling with the same issue here, 6-speed vs. F1, and have waded through all the posts. This is what I have concluded.

1. The people who have owned BOTH the 6-speed and the F1 are the people whose opinions should be valued the most on this issue.

2. The people who have owned both the 6-speed and the F1 and have commented to this thread, have all stated that they like the 6-speed better.

How can anyone argue with that?