News

F12 Alternator Belt Failures

Discussion in 'FF/GTC4Lusso/F12/812S' started by F12lover, Jun 15, 2019.

1. F12lover

F12lover Rookie

Oct 17, 2016
    Hoping some one can help with some advice and/or knowledge. For the second time my 2016 F12 has thrown the alternator belt or had it completely fail. The first time happened when it had under 5,000 miles. Ferrari replaced under warranty and thought it may have been a faulty belt. All pulley alignment and tensions were verified as fine. A second dealer inspected the work and also found no issues. Now with just under 20,000 miles and about 16 months later (yes, I drive my car... lots and not during the winter) the belt failed again. Luckily it happened very near home the day after completing a 1,200 mile drive on remote roads! In any event, has any one else had this issue with their F12 and/or have any suggestions on a proper repair? This should not be happening and is a major concern when I am traveling. It is also not something that is easily accessible to carry out a self repair while on the road. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crinoid likes this.
  2. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    This was very common on F12's. Ferrari released and update kit to fix the issue. There is a factory technical bulletin that covers the problem and the repair. What is the assembly number of your car? If it is 121256 or below, then it has the older belt guide shoe, which has been replaced by an additional guide pulley.
    You can look at the parts breakdown on Ricambi to the see difference between the old and new style belt drive for the alternator:
    https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v12/gt-group-2-seat/f12/ac-system-water-and-freon.html

3. F12lover

F12lover Rookie

Oct 17, 2016
    Great information. Thank you. My chassis number is 214119 so that appears to be later in production. Also how disappointing that two dealers would not pick up on the issue if indeed my car has the old system.

4. F12lover

F12lover Rookie

Oct 17, 2016
    Also, what would you think could be the problem if I have the revised set up and this is still occurring? I will double check but I think that I do.

5. F12lover

F12lover Rookie

Oct 17, 2016
    Yes, I checked my car and I have the revised pulley and tensioning system. So why would this happen (again)?

6. Wheels1

Wheels1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Not a Ferrari, but my wife had her belt go twice on her Volvo in 2 years, shortly after the second time, the alternator went wrong, mabybe that was causing the belts to break?
    Just an thought.