F12 excess throttle / high idle? | FerrariChat

F12 excess throttle / high idle?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by ryalex, Jan 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    After 5 relatively trouble free months, started the car tonight and the idle jumped up to 2k rpm. Put it into R and it lowered but was still pushing a little more than normal.

Get to the light, put into neutral:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Shifts, but slightly sluggish. Under load the revs go down but it’s still pushing and throttle response not as sharp as normal.

On and off twice, get gas. Back a mile or so home and it’s intermittently idling high. Press the throttle in neutral and instead of immediately dropping to idle it takes 2 seconds to wind down from 5k rpm.

Anyone experience this?

2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    of2worlds and ryalex like this.
  3. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Yes, they just confirmed the TPS was out of calibration. Also an error code related to a brake sensor. Replacing both.

of2worlds, Gh21631 and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  4. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    brake switch ok?

5. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    They are fixing a brake component I can't remember if they said switch or sensor. I'll keep it posted. They said they've never seen this throttle issue on an F12.

of2worlds likes this.
  6. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    This being said, I believe it is not an unknown issue with Ferrari. Dan from NormalGuySupercar on YT just had his throttle pedal changed for the exact same reason, and I would imagine they are the same hardware in between models.

ryalex likes this.
  7. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    OP states it was TPS not the throttle pedal. I've not read anyone posting about this before but not everything get posted I assume.

8. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Sorry, but what is TPS? Thanks.

9. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    Isnt TPS "Throttle Position Sensor"?

of2worlds likes this.
  10. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Yes. I have replaced them before and they were integrated into the throttle body at the engine intake. I'm guessing that doesn't apply to fly by wire gas pedals which now that I think about it makes sense so thanks for that. Just strange to think of a pedal itself as a sensor. It's really not measuring the position of the engine intakes but more the position of your foot. Maybe a FPS would be more accurate nowadays.

11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    All throttle bodies have a TPS, no matter if it is mechanical linkage or drive-by-wire. The latter is just a servo operated linkage rather thzn a cable. But the injection system sill needs a TPS to reference the throttle position. A TPS is essentially nothing more than a potentiometer that changes resistance depending on position.
    When installing a new EFI system or create a new tune from scratch, it is always the first thing that is adjusted. Then the IAC(Idle Air Control) is set. Those are usually the two things that can be at fault if an engine has problems with idle or throttle response.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Got it back and it’s as good as new. This was the fault:

To make the text searchable for other users it was logged as:
    21254 code p2135 throttle/ pedal voltage correlation malfunction. Inspect for aftermarket device none found. Inspect voltage from pedal intermittently out of spec. Replaced accelerator pedal.

they also replaced a brake switch that was only a few bucks. That wasn’t the main error but I did get that AVH error one time a few weeks ago.

350MH83 and Solid State like this.