F12: Future Collectible? | FerrariChat

F12: Future Collectible?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Eilig, May 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    F12 is the last Pininfarina V12 design, a bit more raw and edgy than 812 (from what I hear), and beautiful to many people's eyes. It is still depreciating, but will it one day go back up in value due to being collectible? Especially if/when it is hybrids only or (dare I say) Ferrari no longer offers a V12??

Gene Dongieux likes this.
  2. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I'm convinced that one day in the future the F12 Berlinetta will be a classic collectible but the difficult answer is how long will it take. Despite having been produced in larger numbers (around 5000 made) than other elegant GT's like the Maranello, the F12 has the necessary ingredients to become one day a classic. Like you mentioned, the F12 is the last Pininfarina V12 design and is assertive but elegant with that imposing front grille which is a forceful interpretation of those used on the GT's of the fifties and sixties. It has also other design elements which are unique and give the F12 charisma and personality. Contrary to it's successor the 812, the F12 is a car that looks good from every angle and for that to happen the design has to be very appealing and competent on it's all. Soon all future GT Ferraris V12 will be hybrid and the F12 will mark the end of an era where the ICE dominated. This technological change in paradigma might turn the F12 into a semi-classic sooner than what we have anticipated.

-CD-, Makuono and Gene Dongieux like this.
  3. Luk77

Luk77 Rookie

May 6, 2018
    Even if I have a F12 I don’t think it will become “collectible”. It’s a normal production car, big number. 812 will be the last V12 NA without hybrid parts. But also for 812 I don’t foresee a collectible future.

That’s my opinion, only guessing...

Roland1688 likes this.
  4. Gene Dongieux

Gene Dongieux Rookie

May 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Gene Dongieux
    How do you know/are you sure the 812 will be the last V12?

5. Luk77

Luk77 Rookie

May 6, 2018
    I wrote: “That’s my opinion, only guessing...” :)

However I mean V12 NA without any Hybrid parts. Of course not considering the future TDF.

6. Gene Dongieux

Gene Dongieux Rookie

May 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Gene Dongieux

Got it. Thx

7. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Only LE's will likely become collectible.

8. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Doubt it. The problem with "new collectibles" is that people see the old ones and then go out of their way to preserve things hoping they'll be collectibles, but never realizing the thing that makes them so collectible and valuable is that back when the old ones debuted, no one really cared to keep them up since there was no expectation of them having value later. Thus they are now rare.

There will be way too many well maintained F12s for them to every be collectible IMO, and they'll have to compete with 599, 550, etc. They're all just V12 Ferraris at the end of the day. 50 years from now, there will not be much of a difference between a 599 and an F12. There seems to be a big difference now, but over time there won't be much of a reason for either to be more desirable than the other.

If they all get salvaged and there are only 200 left, then yes, they will probably become collectible. Otherwise probably not.

9. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    ......last Ferrari with a conventional key too. ;)

10. 4_Eff_Sake

4_Eff_Sake Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The TDF, yes - there is something very special about that car. The Berlinetta - not so much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

otakki and Roland1688 like this.
  11. WilliamB

WilliamB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    William
    Obviously can't tell what the future holds. Would guess that, due to the production numbers, it will not greatly hike in price. Liked it will be always.
    For now the F12 gained popularity as the second hand market did shrink due to the slow delivery of the 812 (long waiting times). Well, that's what I have been hearing around. Got an interesting offer myself but believe I am going to stick to my baby!

MDEL likes this.
  12. Zedtt

Zedtt Formula Junior

May 29, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Terry
    Life is too short and unpredictable. No point in risking buying now for collectibility. Drive what's exciting now. And buy whatever is collectible then. Win Win.

Mc11 and otakki like this.
  13. WilliamB

WilliamB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    William
    Due to long delivery times of the 812, demand for the F12 seems to be increasing and stocks (second hand) are getting low ... have received an attractive offer myself in exchange for a GTC4 Lusso (V12) but won't as I love my F12. Believe it to be a keeper!

MDEL likes this.
  14. 4RE F12

4RE F12 Karting

Apr 19, 2016
    B.C., Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew W.

Both the F12 and the 812SF are hi volume production cars and therefore unlikely to ever be a super appealing 'collectible'. The F12TDF on the other hand, is production limited to 799 per year with all the technological advancements of 'short wheel base' so, from the viewpoint of technological innovation and the market driver called "supply and demand", I think the TDF is a much more likely "collectible" candidate (IMO).

Boomhauer and otakki like this.
  15. WilliamB

WilliamB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    William
    Well Andrew, that's absolutely true. Limited production cars always are in demand. Though believe that, once the end of a just NA V12 is announced, a NA V12 will remain high on the wish list. But it will take a while (and many of them end their 'lives') before it will really become collectible.

16. Zedtt

Zedtt Formula Junior

May 29, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Terry
    When I am looking through car magazines, websites, forums, etc I find myself thinking about what cars I would like to have. However when I am behind the wheel of my F12, aha, I have thoughts for no other whatsoever. Currently “collectibility” is fantasy. I want to drive!!

Caeruleus11, otakki, MDEL and 2 others like this.
  17. WilliamB

WilliamB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    William
    Completely agree Terry ... that's what I do as much as I can ... enjoy!

18. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Staring at my F12 glistening in the sun and listening to the hum at idle while warming up is like watching a beautiful woman from a distance. By the time I have left the driveway I am in love again. :)

19. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Production is far too big for "future collectible"
    However the sheer loveliness of the car make it "future desirable".
    That puts a floor on values (see 599 prices) but means you can still drive it.
    Rejoice !

Caeruleus11, MDEL, Zedtt and 2 others like this.
  20. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Enjoy the word splicing there. Similar to Limited Production versus Limited Edition! We all know that serious collectors only have floor space for the LEs, vintage and hypers. However, if there ever was a modern production vehicle to break the rule at some point down the road it would be the F12. The reviews were outstanding (too fast?) and the car continued to be ordered even after the intro of its replacement. It matters not as just about universally the current owners desire the car and forego money concern. The 599 is also a seriously wonderful supercar but it is, respectfully, no F12 or I would have bought one instead.

Thecadster, Caeruleus11 and MDEL like this.
  21. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    In some decades from now the F12 Berlinetta will always be remembered as being the last Ferrari designed by Pininfarina and wearing it’s badge. Like with paintings that were the last creations of famous artists which already passed away, the F12 Berlinetta is in fact the last Ferrari created by the charismatic design house that helped shape Ferrari. Despite having been produced not just a few hundreds but some thousands, the F12 Berlinetta has some unique design features that were revolutionary when the car was launched and are part of the annals of Ferrari history of achievements. Innovative systems of air flow through the bonnet "aerobridges" which make this car absolutely original, are unique, and a true marriage of technology and aesthetics. Also a rear characterized by a functional reinterpretation of the KAMM tail which seamlessly integrates the two vertical fences of the rear diffuser resulting in an original T-shape . In the F12 Berlinetta there is a clear balance between a clean volume, elegant lines, simple yet full surfaces, pronounced muscle, great stance and proportions. That’s the fantastic formula Pininfarina has been able to materialize many times with Ferraris and which lacks now in some of the new models that don’t have the masters signature anymore.
    Graham (635 CSI) put it perfectly; May be the F12 Berlinetta will never be a "future collectible" but will be a "future desirable" for sure.

-CD-, zim32, WilliamB and 5 others like this.
  22. PJ72

PJ72 Karting

Jun 1, 2017
    +1.
    No disrespect but sometimes I find these threads similar to people discussing buying a painting at a flea market hoping to be an undiscovered Picasso. I own an FF and I love it but future collectible? Why? I want to enjoy the car and if it plateaus in value like other v12 ferraris I will be very happy. Hoping for more is pointless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caeruleus11, MDEL and otakki like this.
  23. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think you have a point but how you made it is a little bit extreme. I think the best way to say it is the F12b is likely to always be appreciated by Ferraristi (do I have the plural right) but, with rare exception of some crazy provenance, a nice example F12b is not going to be regarded as truly collectible. It really shouldn't matter to most of us except from the stand point of market valuation. In that regard, I'd like to say its going to hold up better than past 2 seat V12s, but I don't think it will be appreciably better. It might be a little better because it really is a modern Ferrari- Id say 458/FF generation and forward would be modern. They have DCT and feel better built.

24. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    It should be ! I never thought a car could be so amazing.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  25. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    It really is the best car ive ever driven, but how many did they make? Is it low run like the 575 where only 2000 or so were made? Repairs are going to be tough with all the electrical components in an F12 down the road. We'll see I think it still drops ALOT more before it goes up if it ever does, very curious about production figures though