F12 how quick are the shifts? | FerrariChat

F12 how quick are the shifts?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Bounce, Nov 27, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bounce

Bounce Formula 3

Nov 30, 2009
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Does anyone know how fast the shifts are in MS? The 458 is 40/50ms as far as I've found out perhaps even quicker with the latest DCT update so curious to see how Ferrari have evolved since then.

Apparently the lastest Ferrari is always the best Ferrari! I just don't see it getting much quicker than 40/50ms...

2. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    The advertising I have seen with the FF was "instant" shifting, zero delay, and it feels like exactly that when in the Sport mode. My California was described as 20ms by Ferrari advertising and you could feel that delay. I would assume the F12 would also be instant shifting, at least in Sport. The FF softens the shifts a little in Comfort, and even softer when in snow but there is no 'long' delay like the older F1 transmissions.

Rick

3. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Anyone know the comparative shift times among a 3 pedal manual (well driven), the DCT and the F1? I wonder how much time is shaved from 0-60 just due to shift speed.

4. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
  5. London John

London John Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London & Melbourne
    Full Name:
    John
    Physics says you're wrong.

6. Bounce

Bounce Formula 3

Nov 30, 2009
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Well VW used to advertise their DSG boxes to do 0MS, not sure if that's still the case though.

Wonder what the future will bring, we've already over taken Formula one car shift speeds....

7. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Marketing bollocks really. There is no such thing as 0 time! Even light needs some time to travel from one place to the other. By most accounts the F1 transmission is close to 40 ms. Mind you, Formula 1 cars shift gears in about 20-30 ms.

8. pride355

pride355 Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2006
    Istanbul/Turkey
    Full Name:
    MOT
    Actually fastest F1 box can shift as qucik as 60ms. It is the F1-super fast on Scuderia and 599 GTO. As far as I know, it is the same gearbox Ferrari had used on Formula 1 race cars around 2003-2005.

9. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Drive each and you will see the difference, F1's even the latest are very slow compared to the Cali DCT which does not feel instantaneous but you get very little head bob from it and the FF DCT is WAY faster and feels instantaneous and there is no head bob, none. I must assume the F12 is the same as the FF. Now for the crap house lawyers that have never driven any of them, who cares if there is a 2 nanosecond delay:). And anyone that thinks a three pedal stick is as good probably drives a Beeemer too. :D

Rick

10. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    By F1 I was referring to the latest dual clutch box, as it retains the same nomenclature. Anyway, I find all semi-auto boxes very quick.

11. michal12

michal12 Karting

Dec 13, 2005
    But it is different construction. F1 does not use double clutch gearbox. In double clutch the next gear is pre-selected so it engages at the same time as the previous disengages.
    Speaking of which, there probably is some kind of delay, but I think it is programmable by SW.

12. michal12

michal12 Karting

Dec 13, 2005
    Be sure the DCT really is a game changer. I read in EVO the other day that you can change gear while actually performing powerslide. Shifts are that seamless.

13. FJerry

FJerry Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2004
    United States
    Upshifts are nearly instant for most of these high performance DCTs. In how it feels, it feels faster than in the Scud but not massively faster for upshifts. The place DCTs are weaker is on the downshifts- but there also, I think unless you're comparing to the Scud or 599 GTO, you will be very happy with the DCT. In short, out of all the things you could consider worries with any of this new generation of cars, the DCT should not be it. The DCTs are extremely well done.

14. London John

London John Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London & Melbourne
    Full Name:
    John
    DCT is way better than Scud clutch IMVHO, but I haven't driven a GTO

15. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I tend to agree but there is that guy who's had >3 DCT replacements in his California!

16. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Not the same gearbox, but about the same speed from that era yes.
    I can do that in a manual transmission car...

17. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Are there any hard numbers on sport/race shift times in the FF vs. 430 Scud ?

18. pingit00

pingit00 Rookie

Jun 24, 2015
    Frankfurt, Germany
    "0" ms vs 60 ms.

0 ms because the forward gear is already pre-selected before you request the change per paddle shift. As already pointed out the relative weakness of DCT is in downshift, and also its higher weight due to more parts...

The feel/feedback you get from DCT while up-shifting is not due to any gear engagement latency but is purely artificially created via software programming. Early Ferrari DCTs (on the F12 at least) were too "soft" and could later been reprogrammed via software update to provide a feeling/feedback reminiscent of that which the old F1 gearbox provided.

Other manufacturers also make use of this technique on their DCT-equiped sport cars in order to provide their customers with more feel on gear change during spirited drives.

19. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    There's no such thing as 0 time. That's why Ferrari says that every new version of the double clutch gearbox is even quicker than the previous.

20. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I've not heard of this service. Is this a dealership or a tuner thing? Seems making it artificially kick would have to sacrifice reliability given the power. After all, its a DCT not a manual.

21. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    FF Sport mode has a little kick, Comfort is smooth. Factory.