F12 Jerky on low speeds | FerrariChat

F12 Jerky on low speeds

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Patryk09, Nov 14, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Patryk09

Patryk09 Karting

Oct 27, 2022
    Full Name:
    Patryk K
    I have an F12 and I was wondering if anyone has experienced this. My car is a little jerky sometimes at low speeds and small throttle openings.

2. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    wow no have not heard of that. mine is super smooth

Patryk09 likes this.
  3. Patryk09

Patryk09 Karting

Oct 27, 2022
    Full Name:
    Patryk K
    What year is your F12?

4. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014

Patryk09 likes this.
  5. Patryk09

Patryk09 Karting

Oct 27, 2022
    Full Name:
    Patryk K
    Maybe it’s the tune on my car, yours is fully stock?

6. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    Yes fully stock.

7. fender911

fender911 Rookie

Aug 22, 2012
    I have a stock 2016, and have noticed the same depending on driving mode, auto vs manual, and most importantly, brake pressure. I think it’s one of the characteristics and charm of this generation of DCT. My 458 was a lot less refined than the F12. The newer DCT in the 488, F8, 812 etc is more like the PDK in a Porsche. My recommendation, drive it a little more spiritedly and make throttle inputs, braking, and shifts with intention, and that seems to smooth things out

Patryk09 likes this.
  8. Patryk09

Patryk09 Karting

Oct 27, 2022
    Full Name:
    Patryk K
    Yeah I heard with small throttle inputs, the car gets a bit confused and will jerk a bit. Spoke to my local Ferrari dealer they said it’s normal for these. I’m glad I’m not the only one that noticed this at low speeds. When I actually input some throttle it’s perfectly fine. Even this article online states it when the F12 first came out. Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I recently bought an FF which is similar at low speeds. I find when driving in traffic Auto mode deals with 1st to 2nd shifts in a much smoother manner than when using the paddles, so to that end I switch in and out of Auto when required. Throttle input is also quite sensitive, especially if you've been driving in a spirited manner, the ECU has a short term "memory" is expecting any throttle input to want maximum acceleration. Once you've pottered around for a while serenly it "learns" again and clams down.

Once on the move I tend to change gear using the paddles as Auto is in a rush to get to 7th as soon as possible.

So yes, these cars can be a bit jerky, after a while you figure out how they behave and drive accordingly.

LeoBRK, montegoblue and Patryk09 like this.
  10. Patryk09

Patryk09 Karting

Oct 27, 2022
    Full Name:
    Patryk K
    I noticed the smoother gear shifts in auto mode as well at lower speeds. In manual mode it is a bit jerkier. I guess you confuse the car by thinking it’s about to take off when it’s not in manual mode.

11. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Realistically it took me about 2 months (2000 miles) before I got to grips with what worked where, when it came to driving modes and throttle input.

I often read on here people stating "I've never used the Auto setting on my car in 10 years" or similar...and I wonder why, it really is smoother when in traffic or crawling.

ryalex and Patryk09 like this.
  12. Patryk09

Patryk09 Karting

Oct 27, 2022
    Full Name:
    Patryk K
    The f12 is a recent purchase for me so I’m still learning and getting comfortable with it as well.

I feel those are the people that don’t really drive their cars, probably 3-4 times a month so when they take it out they just beat on it so yeah of course they won’t notice it being jerky in traffic because they don’t drive it at crawling speeds.

ryalex likes this.
  13. Rabies

Rabies Karting

Apr 4, 2020
    UK
    Strange - I drive my F12 at least once a week (30K miles on it now) and unlike others on here, I find changes much smoother in traffic when in manual mode with the manettino set to sport than auto in any setting. Auto seems to have a real trouble in stop-start traffic in any manettino setting with clunky switching between gears (particularly 2nd-3rd). It feels like it is constantly trying to guess (badly) what you are going to do next. I find it gets even worse with in hotter weather (air temps above 25C/77F)

14. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    This might be an FF vs F12 trait as the FF has comfort & Sport whereas the F12 is Sport & Race.

My car spends most of it's life in comfort.

Sport + Auto in the FF is a disaster at anything other than 80%+ throttle.
    Comfort + Auto is continent cruising stuff, so it may be different ECU settings.

15. Rabies

Rabies Karting

Apr 4, 2020
    UK
    Sounds about right

16. Patryk09

Patryk09 Karting

Oct 27, 2022
    Full Name:
    Patryk K
    One of these days I’m going to spend a couple hours driving my f12 and see what mode is best in traffic lol

17. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    I drive my FF in Sport mode all the time, if in AUTO - I do not like the jerkiness or what one might call it when in comfort. Even WET is better than Comfort....And well during winter here in Sweden I either drive in Sport or Winter somewhat depending on weather. Also, when I drove to Oslo in the beginning of 2022, we had baaaaaaad weather - I mean realy realy bad weather... That day I drove ONLY in Manual mode, so that I never lost traction (only gears 1-4!) on the front wheels.

For what it is worth: I like the ability to adjust the settings according to weather and well the circumstances that are valid at the moment for driving. There is no auto software that can adapt all the time.

21ATS and Patryk09 like this.
  18. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Yes a little, but really only when just starting for the day or really cold. Once warmed it is fine.

Patryk09 likes this.
  19. Patryk09

Patryk09 Karting

Oct 27, 2022
    Full Name:
    Patryk K
    I mostly notice it in traffic, pressing and letting go of the gas with small throttle inputs it’ll jerk a little

ryalex likes this.
  20. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    downshifting while coasting too, it slams a bit. The computer seems to predict better when either on throttle or on brake. My understanding from the Ferrari techs is that the DCT prepares and sets the clutches for upshift on throttle, and downshift on brake.

Patryk09 likes this.
  21. Patryk09

Patryk09 Karting

Oct 27, 2022
    Full Name:
    Patryk K
    That makes a lot of sense, so in stop and go it doesn’t know what it wants to do when small throttle inputs are given and coasting with foot off the brake too

ryalex likes this.
  22. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Surprised to hear about this. Mine is very smooth. The transmission learns your behavior over time so it doesn't surprise me that a journalist would get a car that many drivers evaluated and it never saw consistent driving. I have also changed the DCT and diff fluid every five years and the difference is noticeable.

Patryk09 likes this.
  23. Patryk09

Patryk09 Karting

Oct 27, 2022
    Full Name:
    Patryk K
    Just had a DCT & gearbox service done at Ferrari, very important to extend the life of it. I just bought the car so maybe it has to adapt to the way I drive like you said

24. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I use comfort (or wet - I live in the UK after all!) and manual most of the time. I find very little difference between comfort and sport when in a manual mode, mainly as I'm pressing the bumpy road button if I'm ever in sport.

I will add here, I only use Auto when in crawling traffic, stop-start, traffic lights, roundabouts, city centre stuff if I'm in there for an hour or two. The first to second changes in that specific range are dealt with far smoother than in manual. When the traffic starts flowing in any reasonable way I'm back in manual so I can lock it in gears and stop the box "hunting" and suddenly unexpectedly dropping gears.

I figured out quite quickly to just let the box change down itself when in manual. The downshifts can be quite jerky when decelerating off brake, but when you're on it the downshifts are pretty crisp.

ryalex and Patryk09 like this.
  25. ChaosAD!

ChaosAD! Karting

Jul 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    John Shinas
    I only experience that when I’m in auto mode. The car is hellbent on changing gears quickly when in auto mode and that causes the jerkiness. In manual mode not at all. I don’t use auto mode unless I’m cruising on the highway.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Patryk09 likes this.