F12 LED steering wheel | FerrariChat

F12 LED steering wheel

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by HORNETDRIVER, Apr 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HORNETDRIVER

HORNETDRIVER Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    TX
    Would anyone purchase an F12 WITHOUT this option???

(I don’t have it on my 599...seems somewhat cool, but I don’t think I miss it on my car...I could be wrong)

Thx

2. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    I actually don’t like the LED steering wheel. Would prefer an all leather or all Alcantara steering wheel (depending on the model of F car). However, would not be brave enough not to spec it on a new order, or brave enough to buy a previously loved car that does not feature it, simply because it seems to have become such a Ferrari trademark (to misue that term) most people will favour a car that features it when it comes to trade up for you next F car.

I would be less worried in a Lusso of FF - there I would indulge in an all leather wheel with no LEDs. But for an F12, for the above reasons, I would get one with an LED wheel and then regret it everytime my hand touches the cold carbon inserts (that, let’s face, just feel like plastic - tough, impervious plastic - but plastic none the less). Not as tactile as leather.

If/when I spec my 812 order, I would order an alloy steering wheel in all leather but with the LEDs - much like Mark Moon’s steering wheel in his F12. There is a chance I would go with a carbon wheel - but still wrapping the whole rim in leather (like - If I recall correctly - Fantastic’s Lusso (although his does not have the LEDs (I think). Would only do carbon wheel wrapped in leather if i plumped for the carbon central tunnel. Whether i do this will depend on the continuity of an all leather central tunnel. The photos i have seen of the non carbon central tunnel show three different materials with an unsightly join before the rising arms that sit adjacent to and either side of the transmission selector bridge.

3. HORNETDRIVER

HORNETDRIVER Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    TX
    Any other opinions?

4. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I have it in my F12 and like it but don't think i'd miss it too much as you can soon audibly learn when an upshift is due.

5. OC3

OC3 Rookie

Apr 5, 2016
    Wheaton
    Full Name:
    James
    I think for an F12 in particular, it is a necessity. Seeing the LED's light up as you accelerate is a pretty cool feature, as not too many cars on the road have that. Just my thought though

6. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    I like them. I had one in my 458, and now in my FF. But I wouldn’t worry much about it one way or the other. If you have a preference go with what you like. Lots of cars specked both ways.

7. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Not having it will be a financial strike against you should you want to sell the car eventually.

8. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    R J likes this.
  9. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
  10. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Isn't that only on the new models like 812 (and maybe Lusso - not sure about the Portofino)?
    I think the Pista still has the same circular red LEDs as the 488 GTB.

11. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    Correct. It is only on the new design steering wheel (image below):

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The Pista still has the previous design steering wheel (so has the round LEDs) (image below):

12. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    Portofino also has the new style wheel with the rectangular LEDs - if the LED wheel is specified when you order. Image below:

13. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    You can get the LED steering wheel wrapped in leather. I love it and would always spec it.

CETH and R J like this.
  14. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    Leather wrapped wheel with LEDs. The right choice.

Caeruleus11 likes this.