News

F12 lost of power steering and multi system failure/limp mode on tail of the dragon

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso/F12/812S' started by GTEE3, Jul 21, 2020.

1. GTEE3

GTEE3 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2019
    Champaign, IL
    Full Name:
    Chia-Hao Lin
    Went to Tail of the Dragon with friends last week to drive the iconic roads. I was following my friends in their GT Porsches in a somewhat fast pace, car was in manual and second gear most of the time doing 4000~7000 rpm. After ~5 mins of chasing the power steering failed on me and luckily I was able to bring it to a stop on the shoulder. Let the car cool down for ~40 mins and the problem went away. A friend who is also a mechanic told me that it could be overheating due to the car constantly being in the higher rpm. So I decided to let it shift in auto the next day.
    -
    Day 2: I left the car in race mode and was going about the same pace, suddenly I had a multi system failure (see photo) and the car went into limp mode (wouldn’t go more than 35 mph). I limped to the bottom of tail and let it sit and cool down for ~40 mins, the codes went away. After a few minutes of driving I drove over a bump and the codes came back. I let it sit for a while again and the codes disappeared, but came back again a few minutes into the drive. At the end I had to limp for and hour back to the Airbnb I stayed and called a flatbed the next day.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

colonels likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. GTEE3

GTEE3 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2019
    Champaign, IL
    Full Name:
    Chia-Hao Lin
  4. GTEE3

GTEE3 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2019
    Champaign, IL
    Full Name:
    Chia-Hao Lin
    The car is now at Ferrari Atlanta. They told me the primary reason was a faulty ABS sensor that triggered all of these error codes. They’ll replace it before doing further diagnosis.

5. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2017
    #4 sampelligrino, Jul 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    Bummer, but glad that they were able to find a fix and that you/car are OK.

Chiming in because I had a similar experience (maybe my first "Italian experience") two weekends ago with my 458 Speciale. Doing *ahem* spirited driving and mid corner my car sh!ts the bed in a similar situation, higher revs and warm temps outside in manual mode. I got the same manettino wet mode warnings/ESC failures/go to dealer, along with limp mode power and actually what felt like a loss in brake boost but no noticeable loss in power steering

My issue was a a faulty accelerator pedal which had to be replaced according to my dealer's diagnosis FWIW ($1000...)

GTEE3 likes this.
  6. Patek

Patek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    I live about 69 miles from the dragon. Every time took the 1998 550 there it would get so hot that I had to cool it down before I could put gas in the car. I stopped in Murphy nc for gas and it kept kicking the gas pump off. Took me 20 minutes to get 1 gallon in. The dealer never did figure it out. I traded it to them for a 458.

GTEE3 likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.