F12 or Superfast weird question? | FerrariChat

F12 or Superfast weird question?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Calibus069, Oct 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Calibus069

Calibus069 Rookie

Oct 9, 2021
    I am lacking a right arm it does not work after a stroke can i still drive a dst from what i hear u need to pull both paddles to put the car in park

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. johnuf78

johnuf78 Rookie

Jul 9, 2021
    Florida
    When you turn off the car it should automatically engage the parking brake. There should also be a lever type button on the lower left side near the footwell that will engage and disengage the parking brake. Pulling both paddles should put the car into neutral.

3. bobhitch

bobhitch Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Nope, both paddles puts the car into neutral. The car goes into 'park' when you turn off the engine.
    Good luck in your search, I love my 812.

4. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    You should be able to drive in auto mode.

Ray

5. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    The 812 is so reactive and ultra fast compared to normal cars it needs both hands on the steering wheel at pretty much all times IMO. Its the best and most exciting car I've ever had the privilege of owning however not the most suitable for a driver with impaired arm function.

George Vosburgh and Altoria F like this.
  6. sunghyun7

sunghyun7 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2019
    The potential problem may be the Ferrari gearbox in an auto mode. The shift logic is horrendous for spirited driving. Try it out. The only time I have it in auto mode is when I'm warming up the car or when I'm trying to sneak past my neighbors early in the morning. If you can't somehow modify the left paddle so you can both up & downshift with one hand, it may actually kill the entire car experience IMHO

I think you may find F12 easy to drive one handed with its light steering. Return to center force is also very light. I don't know how you feel about having indicator lights on the either side of the steering wheel rather than conventional stalk and having all the radio & climate controls on the right side (for US cars). but apart from those, I don't foresee huge ergonomic issue.

George Vosburgh likes this.
  7. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    With your left hand resting on the top of the wheel you can easily flick the right paddle with your left hand, I do it a lot. Not recommended for spirited driving on a winding country road but in normal driving no problem. Auto mode in the 812 is fine as well, again, for “normal” driving. The HVAC is in the center but I rarely ever fiddle with it, set temp and leave in auto function, it works brilliantly.
    I see no problem driving an 812 using left hand only.
    Good luck in your search!

Falcon7x likes this.
  8. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    Maybe look into a McLaren GT? You can up/downshift with the same paddle.

9. Wikdstrate

Wikdstrate Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    There was a thread similar to this one a while back where a gentlemen lost his right hand in an accident and came into a bunch of money through litigation.

I believe he ended-up getting a Lambo because the left and right paddles are connected. Meaning that you can pull the left paddle to downshift but you can also push the left paddle to upshift. I think this worked very well for him and was happy with his decision.

10. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Bravo for not letting this stop your passion for Ferrari. I am still sorry to learn of your impairment. The car will go into park when turned off and in either 1st or R. Pull both paddles for N. Auto mode is not that terrible, and better than not having a Ferrari to drive. Also, if you are considering a new car, I have seen the factory make some accommodations for people with disabilities. It might be worth inquiring with your dealer.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Dijit, Thecadster and Falcon7x like this.
  11. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    I think the car would be drivable with one arm in auto mode. I don't typically use auto mode but I have been playing with it a bit and it's actually pretty usable in race mode.

SeattleStew likes this.
  12. Altoria F

Altoria F Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2020
    France
    Full Name:
    P
    Fcars do not worth it in Auto mode only imho, they are the shadow of themeselves in auto.
    The Ferrari way of TCU programming "castrates" their dynamic; better run a Pcar with PDK gearbox in your position. My 50cents...

montegoblue and john Owen like this.
  13. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    After reading this post last night I decided to put myself in your position and I drove my Aston out to dinner with one hand.

First of all hats off to you as it is not easy to do.

I note that the Aston has the indicators on a stalk. So I got to thinking about my Ferrari Steering wheels.

Have you decided how you will manage the indicator, high beam, wipers?

May the Horse be with you

14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Ill advised if you ask me.

While you don't need your right had for parking, you need it for other things while driving.

You need it to use the right hand indicator.

You need it to use the wipers.

You need it to put the car in drive as it were.

The problem is that to use,the buttons on the wheel, you need to completely let go of the wheel. Bad idea in an 813. That will end badly at some point.

When putting the car into drive, you flick the right paddle. Sometimes the car will go into neutral if parked at a red light for longer periods. This I could see potentially cause problems as you might have issues getting the car back in gear on the road.

What if you need to reverse suddenly? Can you reach the R button with your left hand?

As much as it seems like a drag, it is probably time to find something better suited. If you're a right hand guy, trying to handle an 812 with one left hand is just an overall bad idea.

Ask yourself this. Can you live with yourself if something were to happen to someone else, because you got behind the wheel of a car that is beyond your physical abilities? I wouldn't.

Sorry to be a downer, but that's just how I see it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

REALZEUS likes this.