F12 Paint Bubbling Poll | FerrariChat

F12 Paint Bubbling Poll

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by rockitman, Jul 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Has your F12 Paint Bubbled (corroded) around vents, doors or rear of car ?

1. yes, I have or have had bubbling

32 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. no, I have not noticed any paint bubbling

40 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I am interested to see how prevalent this corrosion issue is with F12's.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  2. MatNZ

MatNZ Karting

Jun 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    MatNZ
    Well done rockitman. If there are over 5,000 F12s build it would be good to get a good sample size!

ChipG and rockitman like this.
  3. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Just for the record, my car has not been affected (as of yet). It has only been wet twice. It seems to me if water gets trapped in between the outer skin and supportive underbody via a bad seal/bonding of body panels like on the top of the rear hatch window or through the rear mesh vents, corrosion could ensue. Keeping the car on a battery tender could probably speed up electrolysis. This is just another theory of mine.

My plan is not to get the car wet. I have long ago sealed the corner gaps at the top of the rear hatch/window with silicone so I don't get the water trapped in the rear hatchback syndrome. If there is a chance I could get caught out in rain, I won't drive it that day. When I wash it, I will tape up the rear vents and any crack/crevice (painters blue tape) so that no water gets trapped in the car. It's clearly not affecting all cars so I wonder if it's just careless/inconsistent assembly at the plant affecting a minority of vehicles.

I don't think Ferrari comes with a anti-corrosion warranty like most other cars in the world do.

4. MatNZ

MatNZ Karting

Jun 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    MatNZ
    I have not been affected yet and it has only been wet 4 times (its brand new and I have only had it for 5 weeks). I will get protective wrap over the mesh to stop water getting in. I have heard also that it is bad paint prep and moisture or high humidity affecting it.

5. MatNZ

MatNZ Karting

Jun 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    MatNZ
    Do you think Rockitman it is ok to completely cover the meshes with protective film wrap so no water can get in - or do those meshes need to breathe?

eskanday likes this.
  6. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I don't like that solution. If I was to do something, it would be to remove the vents and add rubber grommets to the posts that affix it to better create an insulated barrier between the mesh and the studded panel holding it in place. When I say cover/taping up the vent, it is only temporary when washing the car with a garden hose to prevent water getting in there during the washing process.

7. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    It's really sad it has turned into this. It really shouldn't be.

rockitman likes this.
  8. MatNZ

MatNZ Karting

Jun 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    MatNZ
    Ok thanks! It's not ideal all round that we should even be worrying about these issues, but what are we to do if Ferrari won't do anything. Let's hope the poll gets thousands of F12 owners so we can submit this to Ferrari!.

9. redwood

redwood Karting

Apr 30, 2018
    Brisbane and Edinburgh
    Just caught up on this on the other thread as well. Let's hope that the 812 isn't affected by the same problem. I live not far from the coast so salt air has the potential of making this kind of problem works. Fingers crossed.

10. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    If you read the other thread it was posted that salt water is most excellent at ion transfer which is at the root of the problem. I like a fat insulating gasket option between the steel mesh and its supporting aluminum panel (should go all the way around for mechanical stability). This would space the steel mesh back from the outer aluminum shell (fender) while insulating the steel mesh from the dissimilar aluminum support panel. An eighth inch around would be more than plenty IMO. Something like this should already be well through testing if they are taking this seriously which I recommend they do. I would seriously think about not re-purchasing if my F12 got the condition now. At this point I do not have the issue but having to redo a 3-layer would be a nightmare and something Ferrari would need to do a lot to keep me on board through it. Its not because it happens its because its happening to loyal buyers and it could be avoided.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  11. MatNZ

MatNZ Karting

Jun 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    MatNZ
    We need more votes to get a good maple size.

12. Gullwing

Gullwing Karting

Aug 30, 2016
    I have it on my F12, and I've spotted it on two showroom cars. How do I vote 3 times?

I suspect this will get heavily distorted because typically people with bubbling paintwork will search this thread out, those with no problems will be less likely.

13. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  14. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
  15. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    it's ok - it goes nicely with all my scratches and scuffs on my front bumper lol

crinoid likes this.
  16. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    How do you extend the poll ? I think the longest I could set the poll for was 7 days which is about now...

17. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    No bubbling on my grigio ferro 2015 F12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. MatNZ

MatNZ Karting

Jun 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    MatNZ
    Yes we need this extended and not great to see on the FF either. Sounds like paint issues across the model ranges.

Saw a 2013 black F12 at the dealership today and had a good look at the mesh and the paint bubbling was ever so noticeable.

Now if you take 5,000 F12s worldwide builds at say $5k paint job that's a $25m repair bill for Ferrari so no wonder they have been silent on the issue.

19. WilliamB

WilliamB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    William
    A few months ago I spotted a few very small bubbles just below the right back window, hardly noticeable but still ... redoing all is scheduled now for autumn/winter.

20. MatNZ

MatNZ Karting

Jun 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    MatNZ
    That's. no good!!

Would you have al picture please so I can check mine as well. I know water sits at the bottom of the rear window when it rains or you was the car.

Thanks.

21. MatNZ

MatNZ Karting

Jun 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    MatNZ
    [QUOTE="italiafan, post: 146106049, member: 36587"mm
    That's no good at all. How old is the FF and is your climate cold and rainy. I am wondering if water sits in those areas??

22. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    small sample size so far but if this sample is reasonably accurate...almost half of the F12's could be affected by this problem...that is scary.

23. MatNZ

MatNZ Karting

Jun 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    MatNZ
    Yes I couldn't agree more and a potential big issue for Ferrari. We need to have a Ferrari representative on the site so we can voice my concerns. I was a long time AMG customer and on the site we had such a person!

bubbaboy likes this.
  24. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I have not developed this problem but I do have the money for another Ferrari. However, I (and others) am watching to see how Ferrari responds to this specific issue. The $25M you mention is such a small number its meaningless. You can lose that much revenue just by losing 50 repeats out of the 5,000 owners you quote. These are the same folks that buy hugely profitable extended warrantees and go to Ferrari events and such. Any business owner knows the true value of reputation and loyalty. Trading existing buyers for new buyers nets nothing.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  25. MatNZ

MatNZ Karting

Jun 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    MatNZ
    Couldn't agree more and it's all about repeat business, but for Ferrari to be silent on the issues then you have to question the real motives behind it if it is not money.So far the poll is saying half the F12s are affected. We just want to know why and when is Ferrari going to do the right thing to ensure repeat business!