F12 range? | FerrariChat

F12 range?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by sunghyun7, Sep 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sunghyun7

sunghyun7 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2019
    #1 sunghyun7, Sep 19, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    I've been driving the F12 pretty much daily. I'm getting about 150-250miles per full tanks of gas (usually 20gal at fillup).. Advertised is 16highway, and I feel I should be getting 250-300 miles per tank. I may floor it on onramp for few seconds, but otherwise drive pretty normal. when I go to canyons, MPG really seems to tank to single digits almost. I rarely sit in traffic. I do have 21 & 22" wheels with 335 rear tire width and aftermarket tune. Frequent trips to the gas station is getting a little annoying.

I was curious what the real world mpg was like for the other members.

2. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    Fuel dilution brought the viscosity down from the 40 to a 30 grade oil in my 812 SF. I have been getting 15 MPG around town (no highway driving so far). The car is not even broken in at around 2,000 miles total. I will be starting with a 30 grade, fuel dilution resistant motor oil this time around and see what I get. Also no cold weather here in sunny Florida so the oil does get get thick as mud in winter northern states. What viscosity are you running?

Ali

ryalex likes this.
  3. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    For me most of the tank is gone (down to 2 or 3 bars) in about an hour of mixed driving so maybe 10 mpg (?). Mixed is getting lost and zipping through great country roads and then onto a wide freeway for a couple exits of higher gears and then return to country, mild cool down, and gas fill-up before home. I like the lower mpg so I can be sure to clear out old gas and get the new stuff and the conditioner in there so its fresh.​

sunghyun7 likes this.
  4. sunghyun7

sunghyun7 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2019
    #4 sunghyun7, Sep 20, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    excellent, thanks for the responses. yea I think I'm about high single digits at the canyons. reckon about 10-20% penalty with larger wheels.

AE, I last filled it at the dealership. I think they use 10w-60 for F12. My dip stick doesn't really stink of gas. I have at least couple thousand miles since my oil change. maybe it's running rich during break-in?--not sure. maybe ask around here to see whether other 812 owners have similar findings. my other highly modified cars do have fuel leaking into the oil but I'm running them stupid rich in high boost.

5. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    I have never checked because I don't care.

6. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I think to get anywhere near the advertised milage you would need to drive it very relaxed in auto... me personally I rarely let it get above 5th gear usually in 4th which really drinks gas.. but that's what it is for ...so Maybe 10mpg.. and that's pushing it...

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  7. Rabies

Rabies Karting

Apr 4, 2020
    UK
    Driving the North Coast 500 (Scotland) in a "spirited" manner I got about 17mpg average. To put that into context, I used 60% of my rear tyres on the trip, which was about 2,000 miles from London and back. If you are getting less mpg than this, then I suggest you may be driving in too low a gear ;-)

Charlie360MC likes this.
  8. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    How do larger wheels decrease mpg?

9. sunghyun7

sunghyun7 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2019
    larry, same. I cruise in 7th but i do like to wind the engine out once it's warm. maybe ecu injects tons of gas at mid range rpm even with minimal load. odd tuning.

rabies, that's incredible. if everyone reported the same experience, I may have thought my car is having some issues. you got 17mpg in f12 while burning rubber \??

otakki, greater rotational mass. wider width also causes more drag.

10. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    8-12 mpg for me, I was having fun tho

sunghyun7 likes this.
  11. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Wider tires = wider contact patch which causes higher frictional resistance between rubber and road resulting in the engine's need to create more power to rotate the wheels/tires = higher fuel consumption.

It's a delicate balance between a wider tire contact patch to achieve improved handling characteristics and its resulting higher fuel consumption. Likewise, wider tire contact patches must be tuned correctly between the front tires and the rear tires to achieve near neutral handling characteristics. Too much width on one end can cause more understeer or create unwanted oversteer.

You also need to ensure your tires are inflated to the correct inflation pressure because lower pressures = more tire contacting the road and tire sidewall could buckle causing premature damage to tire life.

Here's a scientific explanation as applied to motorbike tires which follows the same principles as car tires...

Friction (and contact patch size) - Steve Mundenhttps://www.stevemunden.com › friction