F12 road noise | FerrariChat

F12 road noise

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Fly4Ree, May 13, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    I am looking for some opinions. I had an SLS, nice styling, but very loud road noise above 70mph. Not engine, but tires and road noise. I have not driven the F12 yet as it is a full day trip to nearest dealer. How would you rate the road noise in a '14 or '15 F12 at speed (70 or higher)? Also, may be a dumb question, but does it have CarPlay like the Cali T? Thanks, and cheers!

FerrariFL likes this.
  2. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    There seem to be lots of different tyres the F12 comes with, a new one I looked at a few weeks ago came with semi slicks, the dealer said they did not ask for them, it was just the tyre Ferrari supplied there demo with. If you can choose the Michelin super sports then the tyre noise is acceptable. It also depends and lot on what the road surface is made from or at least in does in the UK. I would say the tyre noise is acceptable for a car with big rear tyres but having not driven and SLS I can't compare.

3. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I think there is also a difference in noise levels dependent on the rim choice/size. No CarPlay available in the f12.

4. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    All the OEM F12 rims are the same size. 9.5"x20" front and 11.5"x20" rear. Not sure why you think the forged rims would make less or more noise than the cast ones?
    As for Pirelli PZero and Michelin PSS, I went from PZero's to MPSS on my 991 and the difference is noticeable, a more comfy and quiet tyre.

Only SLS I've been in was a de-catted drop-top with sport exhaust. Let's just say that tyre noise was not exactly audible:D

5. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    OP, appreciate your concern, but think about it, you are looking to purchase a 740 horsepower super car. The only noise you want to hear is the engine! The V12 is music.... Just saying.

I have a 2015 and have gotten it beyond 70 and could only hear the engine.

BTW I don't think I ever turned the radio on.

Enjoy the noise its wonderful.

6. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    at 70 I find my F12 to be very quiet, I drive in sport mode in 6th gear with the "bumpy road" setting. the aerodynamics are so good that the car is amazingly quiet with no wind noise. I find the Michelin is WAY more quiet than the Pirelli and has a better road feel. less wind noise then my Rolls Royce Phantom coupe, with the F12 you just hear a nice hum of the engine and no exhaust note at 70, its impressive. But more impressive is when you down shift three gears and punch it!

7. Escapist

Escapist Karting

Jan 19, 2018
    Bangkok, Cotswolds, Sitges, Dordogne
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hello everyone,

I know this is an old thread but it seems the most relevant to my question.

I recently bought a '15 F12 in Daytona and Cuoio. Love it!

My only issues are exhaust note and road noise.

Compared to my 458 Spider, I get a frustrating lack of open exhaust at low speed and a correspondingly high level of road noise at all speed.

For the exhaust, I've read a few threads and it seems there are a few options to lock the exhaust valves open but ideally I just want them to open earlier like my 458 at around 2,000 rpm not 3,000 rpm. Is that possible?

On the road noise, I know it runs big tyres but it is pretty invasive and almost gets in the way of the exhaust sound on many surfaces. The car is shod with Pirelli P Zeros. Is there a better option or some other mod? I'm using bumpy road already....

Cheers

Paul

8. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Road noise is something a bit subjective because what might be an high level of noise to you perhaps it isn't for other owners and is also known that winter tires are made of a rubber composition softer than that of summer tires making them quieter.
    On my F12 I used to have the Pirellis P Zeros and changed them last year to the Michelins PSS and my personal perception is that the Pirellis were substantially noisier than the Michelins in most surfaces and at different speeds. The Pirellis apart from feeling harder also induced certain vibrations in the car which are not noticeable with the Michelins. The new Michelins PS 4S are an upgrade of the old PSS I have on my F12 and from what I've read in some comparison road tests made with different cars, none of them a Ferrari, they have a shorter braking distance and seem to be slightly quieter.

9. Escapist

Escapist Karting

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks, MDEL.

Do you or anone else have an opinion on the exhaust?

10. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    The exhaust I have is the standard equipped just with the Capristo remote control for opening the valves. Compared with almost any car the F12b has a great exhaust sound. When you open the valves the sound becomes louder, specially in the lower revs range, and to my ear doesn't loose quality.

LARRYH, deltona and rockitman like this.
  11. Escapist

Escapist Karting

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I’ve
    I read about the Capristo here and searched online to find it to be about £600? I’m familiar with the concept as I have an SVR with the switchable exhaust button.

I want to get the valves to open at lower revs as you say but I don’t want more noise at higher cruising speeds - that’s why I’m asking about tyres to reduce this.

In your experience would I need to switch off the valves at higher cruising speeds or could I leave the valves open pretty much all the time and not suffer more noise at higher speeds? I’m asking since if sound is the same at higher speeds I could do without the switch and have someone pull the vacuum pipes off.

Also, how can I get this fitted and will if affect the warranty? I’ll be having services at Dick Lovett UK and not sure if they would approve...

12. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    In normal operation the exhaust valves modulate through the revs range opening and closing. What the Capristo remote control allows is to open the valves at will and for instance when the engine is at low revs in normal operation with the valves controlled by the ECU their position is more shut and therefore as soon as the valves are opened with the remote control the sound becomes louder. However if the same is done when the engine is in the mid-high revs range, because the valves are already operating in an open position, there isn't a noticeable change in sound. Changing the exhaust to a non standard one I'm sure affects the warranty but as far as I know the installation of the Capristo valves switch is accepted by Ferrari.

13. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    With the kit fitted, if you are on the motor way press button 1 on the remote, it will revert to standard Ferrari settings. so it is no louder than normal and the valves will remain shut at 70 mph. If you get a main dealer to fit it then it will not effect the warranty. It will need fitting by them as the rear bumper has to come off and it needs to be hard wired in. its not plug and play. you can supply the kit or at least thats what i did. its worth the effort.

14. Escapist

Escapist Karting

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Well Dick Lovett, my local dealer, are not being very 'flexible' here. They claim:

1. they can't fit the Capristo and way it will invalidate the Ferrari warranty.
    2. they can't fit Michelin Pilot S 4S tyre as its not 'homologated' for the F12.

Seems hard to get anything done there.

Is anyone else running Michelin Pilot S 4S tyres on their F12?

15. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I had my remote fitted by Lancaster Colchester if it helps.

16. Escapist

Escapist Karting

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I wish I lived nearer any dealer other than DL Swindon lol.

Now they refuse 100% to fit the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres.

Can anyone advise if it’s strightforward and safe to get a non-Ferrari dealership to fit tyres for an F12? I’m just asking considering the TPMS and any other electrical stuff might be problematic.

Advice gratefully received on this one.

17. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    On my F12 and also on a previous Ferrari I had I always purchased the tires at a dealership non-Ferrari. The first step is for the dealership to order the correct tires and in the case of the Michelins PSS for the F12 the specification is as follows:

Front: 255/35 R20 97ZR(Y) XL K2
    Rear : 315/35 R20 110ZR(Y) XL K2

The K2 in the reference means the tire is specific for Ferrari. There are Michelin PSS tires with the same exact reference and without the K2 but the thread is different. The Michelin PSS 4S I suspect hasn't yet a K2 or a K1 homologation and because of that if you want to put them is better before to seek some advice about the behavior from someone who already has them on the F12.

18. Escapist

Escapist Karting

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hi MDEL

Thanks for the advice.

DL are ok to fit the K2 Super Sport and it seems logical until I watched this:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Michelin-Pilot-Sport-4-S-VS-Michelin-Pilot-Super-Sport.htm

It seems pretty clear the Michelin 4S is a vastly improved tyre and it’s on the GTC4 Lusso I borrowed, so I was focusing there for less NVH.

I can imagine if it’s on the GTC4 Lusso and possibly the 812, it’s homologated by Ferrari so my guess is it’s only not homologated for the F12 as it wasn’t around then.

Does anyone have MIchelin 4S tyres on their F12?

19. Escapist

Escapist Karting

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Paul
    An update on my F12 exhaust. I’ve just had the car back with the vacuum pipes open and it’s a huge difference. The car sounds like it can breathe properly with a huge difference in exhaust note. Definitely the way to go on an F12. I’m tempted now on my 458 Spider. Does it have the same effect?

20. 2k8SB

2k8SB Karting

Oct 20, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Regarding OP’s question on CarPlay, it was available on late model cars. I have it on my 17, I think it was an option from 16 onwards.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

21. luigisayshello

luigisayshello Karting

Jul 9, 2014
    Whatever road noise it has, you can always improve. Any good car audio shop will have multiple solutions for you, usually sound insulation. It's an easy process too.

22. AluminoF12

AluminoF12 Rookie

Jul 5, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jon Bijari
    Wait so you took off the vacuum lines and it kept the valves in open position full time? Or did you have to do something else?

23. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I presume that getting the valves to stay open continuously on the F12 should be as simple as pulling the hoses from the pneumatic valves and plugging the vacuum hoses afterwards.

24. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I always find it curious that someone starts a thread and folks respond but the OP never replies.

Nonetheless, the original question was 'how would you rate the road noise in a '14 or '15 F12 at speed (70 or higher)?' Well, I have to say that I purchased a couple new DDs in the last 6 months and they are identical with 19" rims, low profile tires and what the OEM calls sport suspension. I've put a lot of miles on them in that period and would say that the F12 does have more road noise from the tires in general.

I think without actually instrumenting up microphones your response to this question tends to be relative to the cars you drive most. The F12 is not Lexus quiet and the spectacle of driving it saturates the senses especially that glorious NA noise. The speed climbs so quickly that 70 comes and goes in seconds and with the quick steering you will not be attentive to comparative road noise. I don't spend time cruising except to/from the dealership and then I'm trying not to get run into or get arrested for ridiculous rates of speed or an attempt at that long stretch to have a go at the +200 mark. That said, its pretty quiet for such high performance.