F142M-FL | Page 3 | FerrariChat

F142M-FL

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Dilusha, Dec 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    And called 488 Modificato ? :)

2. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    I'd love to see again "simple" names but exquisite models from Ferrari. But unfortunately, Ferrari lately doesn't come easy with naming their models (eg. their SUV/FUV will be called PuroSangue). I quite miss the times when we first heard the electrifying name "Testarossa" or just "F40" :). Now they could call the updated 488, just a 488M (like 'modificata') and made the updated car speak for itself, but I can fear that we can end up with something 488Moresophisticated ;). Ferrari and their naming game :D

of2worlds and Melvok like this.
  3. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I don't think that is necessarily true.
    The split will be more like only 60% for hybrid models. The other 40% will have a different market focus...

4. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I guess that eventually they will all have to become hybrid. Emission regulations, performance reasons, etc...

5. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Fair point but for the Targa Florio type route I drive most Sunday's some power is nice...

kandi likes this.
  6. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I'd bet against that with far more confidence that on the stock market ;)

7. Ferrari 360 CS

Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Well they cant put more power than the Pista even a 20hp increase would position the car too close to the Pista. Will be interesting to see, perhaps this car is a V6 variant...

8. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The FL is a stop gap solution as far as I understand, so no V6 yet.
    To avoid Pista competition, it just needs to be a lot cheaper (easy given the price difference between current GTB and Pista) so that Pista retains its exclusivity - which is its main selling point.
    So they can match (or even slightly exceed) the Pista power with no issue.
    On the other hand, devaluating the 488 by a new model while not giving any advantage to this one (and therefore not helping sales) would not make sense - frankly, that would look like a stupid business decision to me.

9. Ferrari 360 CS

Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Agree 100% on that. The fact a stop gap is needed is a concern it shows me that sales of the 488 aren't holding up that well relative to its "youth" in the market, if I recall correctly the 488 was introduced in 2016, that 2-3 years in you need something new doesn't reflect well. Unless the objective here is to go McLaren chasing against the 720...

I'd argue that the Pista selling point is the fact its the halo model of the 488 range, if you can get nearly the same power for less $ then that halo doesn't look so alluring anymore.

10. maximilien

maximilien Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2005
    Capitale of Europe
    Full Name:
    Massimo
    I guessing “488M” have completely new exterior and unveiling new interior, new steering wheels new innovative cluster like mentioned in capital market in September. Is Much more than facelifts. Wait and see...

F140C likes this.
  11. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    488 was introduced in 2015 (Geneva show in March, deliveries in September).
    But I agree the 720S has probably shaken the market - and to me that's the main reason for the FL.
    I also stand to my point about the Pista - it's more or less at the same performance level as the 720S but it sells (ironically) because it's far more expensive (and then more exclusive).
    The GTB is slightly less expensive than the 720S but the performance gap with the 720S is hurting it; most certainly the FL will be at least as expensive as the 720S so it has to match its performance.

kandi likes this.
  12. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Ferrari has said the FL and BB will come at a higher price point. So if they expect to sell the FL it will have to at least match the 720S or risk losing market share until the BB is available

kandi likes this.
  13. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Not sure why the fascination with the 720S. In my geo they cant move them for any money. And with the spider coming the coupe's are free-falling in price.

14. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Just playing with acronyms - the FL is introduced to wait for the LB which would be the real 488 replacement in terms of market positioning (so it has to align with the new segment performance benchmark, the 720S - or it will indeed lose market share). In the mean time the BB will be unveiled at a higher price point, defining a new segment.

Doug23 likes this.
  15. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    The most exclusive of the Pista's so far is the Pista Piloti which is something like $100K more maybe and has more restricted allocations. I would also not use the term halo outside of the hyper cars but I get your point. Sure they can match the power and at the higher weight it would be a tick slower which for sure it has to be for lap time comparisons. Maybe they detune it a bit (Pista only 50 hp more than 488) but would be a good time to add some new tech feature, Pista-like looks (same car after all) and a new interior. The car has to offer some incentive to buy it. Perhaps due to the shorter run it will be perceived by some to be more exclusive as a selling point. Not much is known yet.

16. Steph355au

Steph355au Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    I maybe wrong however its my understanding that the reason the Pista is rumored to have such a short manufacturing run (essentially 1 year vs 2 years for the Speciale) is that in September 2017 new emission laws (WLTP & RDE) began to come into effect in Europe for all new cars.

Both WLTP and RDE became mandatory for all new car models in September 2017. From September 2018 onwards, WLTP became mandatory for all new cars. RDE also became mandatory on the same date for measuring ultrafine particles in new cars, and from September 2019 for measuring NOx.

Trying to read the European Commission’s legislation on this is confusing but I think cars that were type approved prior to September 2017 may be able to be sold new until September 2019. I stand to be corrected on this point.

Obviously the 488 was type approved before September 2017 so therefore Ferrari might be able to get away with selling the 488 and its variants (Pista) until September of this year - 2019.

This means a replacement car with lower emissions is required very soon. Any car that maybe shown at Geneva that will be in production after September 2019 will need to meet both WLTP and RDE. I suspect this is what is driving the change and not a direct concern over the 720s. If it was not for these emission changes why wouldn’t Ferrari go on making the Pista for another year? Seems they can sell everyone they make.

Whatever car is shown at Geneva, face lift or completely new model, it will have to meet the tighter emission laws. Hence the push for hybridization. A V6 hybrid turbo would appear to be the obvious answer but maybe it’s not ready? Be it an actual technical issue with the powertrain or the ability to manufacture reliable hybrid powertrains in volume at the price point required.

17. xskier

xskier Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2013
    One important point is missed in your conclusion. Ferrari is still considered as small manufacture, producing less than 10000 cars an year, and therefor if i understood correctly not affected by this regulation. (as Mclaren and other low volume brand)

18. xskier

xskier Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2013
    In my geo 488 gtb are free falling while 720 and 675lt holds well.
    Maybe a Geo thing, but depriation is a bad argument for car enthusiast. if you consider depriation, them you hardly can track your car and pushed to the limits

19. Steph355au

Steph355au Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Yes you are correct but if the intention is to go above 10,000 units in the near future it needs to be considered now. In the Capital Markets Day "Technological Leadership" presentation they highlight various global emission standards and the SVM status. Clearly it's an issue under active discussion.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  20. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Thanx for this very useful info friend Steph355au :)

21. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    #71 Lukeylikey, Jan 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    No, it’s not correct. Everyone is affected by RDE. This gives a constraint to ensure that your products still conform to their declared emissions values even in operation. Customers will be contacted for random testing after a few years and makers will be fined if customers cars are found not to comply. Manufacturers are allowed to ensure the customer car is up to spec (eco Calibration etc). The actual standard (the bit measured by the new WLTP test) is easier for a small manufacturer but there is becoming less of an advantage for smaller companies (less than 100,000 was once quite a big advantage but no longer, less than 10,000 is still an advantage but not completely. Less than 1,000 is basically ok). So Ferrari and others must still comply with RealDrivingEmissions test against their WLTP values and this is not easy for any manufacturer, even ones with mass volume, less so for small volume manufacturers because of scale.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  22. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    And the heads-up display (pretty cool technology, in my opinion). I also agree about the "wait and see" approach: it's always the best strategy.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  23. maximilien

maximilien Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2005
    Capitale of Europe
    Full Name:
    Massimo
    Exactly is mentioned in capital markets day, completely new interior...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Caeruleus11 and F140C like this.
  24. MassAppeal

MassAppeal Karting

Mar 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mass Appeal
    #74 MassAppeal, Jan 1, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2019
    Take a look at all the dragtime vids, where it is punching well above it’s weight. Add in the fact that the hp/torque is understated, it has low weight, and looks like a alien space craft that was designed by aliens with a fish and raccoon fetish. The car is all over social media/YouTube, and is getting much attention from Gen X/Millenials as the car to have.

I googled Ferrari 488M, and found something interesting. This is from 2 years ago, a Ferrari 488M Concept Design, with mention of the Kers. And notice who is with the young artist.

https://www.behance.net/gallery/23279409/Ferrari-488-MK-Concept-Facelift

Shack and Suborbital like this.
  25. ferr9000

ferr9000 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2013
    Full Name:
    SFF
    #75 ferr9000, Jan 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2019

For the 488 Big brother you could expect an impressive new interior.

mofatmi9, TSOYBELIS, j09333 and 10 others like this.