F142M-FL | Page 9 | FerrariChat

F142M-FL

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Dilusha, Dec 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Sorry for the super late reply (took me a while to find a free wi-fi hot spot while on the move in Italy). Anyway, the BB will be the first car in their new hybrid MR range, to be followed later by the proper 488 replacement, which will be hybrid as well from what I read. If they keep both models in their lineup, they can offer multiple power levels (with different engines, since the V6 is around the corner) and have one model fully dedicated to pure performance for those who want it. It will certainly be interesting to see how things will evolve in the future, how they will manage the LE's that will spawn later on and how hybrid technology will be adopted in the GT segment (Lusso/Portofino) and on the V12 cars (maybe starting with the 812 VS).

Caeruleus11 and Doug23 like this.
  2. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    IMO the face lift will see striking resemblance to the exterior of the PISTA. Electronic upgrade as the PISTA. Maybe not the front S-Duct. With gearing of the PISTA also. A few PSI increase and it will be around the 515 KW area.
    The new steering wheel of the Portofino and some of the extra items being standard.
    I can also see a 10% increase in price.
    I think it will have a new name with no reference to 488;)
    My 2 cents

3. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I agree. I think all one has to do is look at the Capital Market Days slide. They show a 250 GTO and a 250 GT Lusso. That's when Mr. Ferrari split the 250 line, I think they are literally saying they are going to split the mid engine line.

day355 likes this.
  4. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    515 kw? So It's less than 700 hp? :D

5. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Might get close to 700 but certainly not over. They will leave that figure for the PISTA. Going over will sour the PISTA. That job will be taken by the next totally new car.

6. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Some insider info? :p

If true, then that'd be truly disappointing. So that'd be like 30 more hp than the GTB. And heavier than the Pista. 720S will run circles around this car.

Forget about 720S and the upcoming 720 LT. Think about 570S successor that's coming out by the end of this year. It'll be a hybrid and around 700 hp but lighter than Ferrari. And also a lot cheaper. So I guess in future Ferrari's mid level supercar loses to a McLaren's entry level supercar.

What a joke! :D

7. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    Stop nerding :D and wait for insider news :D

8. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    He seems pretty confident about it. That can be real. :(

9. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    #209 Dilusha, Jan 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    With no more than 700 hp they might as well call this car 488 something. It surely is no replacement. So why use a new name? Maybe in that way they can fool everyone into thinking that this is an all new car?

I think the whole idea of the FL is purely to make more money. Nobody asked for a facelift. This is basically another modified 458. The 458 was sure fun to drive. So the FL could be fun to drive. But it's no innovation and more like rehashing. A 700 hp car can't possibly compete with the likes of 720S. What's the purpose then?

If I wanted the maximum fun to drive, I'd get a 10 year old 458 italia or even better, a new Alpine A110. But I need more than that in a 350k supercar.

720S is a fun car to drive too. But it also has nearly 800 hp and it's incredibly fast.

10. Doug23

Doug23 Karting

Jun 23, 2017
    Italy
    A car company work this way.

Inviato dal mio BAH-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

11. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    But this is not just a car company. It's Ferrari. What happened to all that passion and Formula One heritage?

Gh21631 likes this.
  12. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    If this comes to pass the FL will be Ferrari’s Edsel.

13. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    It reminds me of such situation
    "He was pretty confident negotiating that corner ... " But he ... didn't succeed.;)
    R&D departments, racing divisions (GT, F1) all that eats money. And shareholders are looking at you all the time, expecting higher and higher profits. One thing I don't like in their plans is changing the Ferrari showrooms into "boutiques" of luxury goods, whatever they had in mind.

MassAppeal and Doug23 like this.
  14. Doug23

Doug23 Karting

Jun 23, 2017
    Italy
    If you put it that way, it seems that passion and heritage only depends by how much power they put in the car?
    750HP = great passion and heritage
    700HP = no passion and no heritage
    ?

themediocore and nads like this.
  15. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    I wish the FL the best. Maybe in the facelift we will see an upped turbo V8 that will take place also in BB. Then a nice jump in horsepower would be plausible.

16. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Did 660 hp in the 488 sour the 600 of the Speciale?

LVP488 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  17. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Think of it this way. You just ordered a PISTA and also contemplating on the spider and the new car comes out and has more KW's Hum.....

Look at all the modifications Ferrari did to the engine to extract more power. Its not that easy at these high figures.

But on the standard engine with all the new updates with electronics and a few PSI you can go up a little.

If your looking at the 720s as the comparison well its the next generation Ferrari , not this car.

They could use letters after the 488 but I believe they want them different. This car will run at least 3 years whilst they prepare for the new chassis and combinations.

18. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Perhaps you are not aware but one of FChat sponsors today offers a 100hp gain to the 488 GTB with just a flash alone. That's a whole lot more than the Pista and with a totally non-modified engine. Ferrari can reliably hit any power requirement desired and especially with a small forced induction motor.

Gh21631 likes this.
  19. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I dont think Ferrari cares about annoying customers, they/we keep coming back. Also, other mnfr's are doing something similar by introducing face lifted versions prior to new models so this is not unheard of.

20. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Yeh im aware of the flash. But IMO ild never look at a dyno. If they can show 100 Hp on an engine dyno then its a different thing . But my guess is that they just increase the PSI. And most likely what Ferrari will do. Just numbers as its only 100% in 7th gear

The weight sayings on the Pista is what I believe gives it the edge not the Hp

21. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Since its the more track specialized version (but no means a race car) its advanced as an entire package including the usual loss of insulation, lighter panels, etc. My point was that its easy for Ferrari to gain hp in their motor designs as opposed to your comment about the difficulty. For example, a simple tune doubles the 488 GTB power Ferrari achieved with all their redesign. Many in the past have said we hit the wall on power (recall the 660 hp on the F140 engine) now we are at 800hp with the same series NA engine. Ferrari are the world's masters at engine design and with forced induction much higher gains achieved much easier. Best.

MANDALAY likes this.
  22. theplanner

theplanner Karting

Jul 3, 2018
    Maybe so, especially if the car is so attractive, that we simply have to also get the new one or trade in the old one. That would certainly meet their ultimate objective. Guess time will tell...only another month or so before we the truth is revealed...;)

23. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I think this little statement innocently buried in your post really says a lot about Ferrari, and how many feel.
    For those of us who adore Ferrari (like me, for numerous reasons including beauty, history, childhood aspirations, etc.) and also love the physical and emotional joy of driving (not just speed, latest toy, impress friends/neighbors) then the 458 was and remains a true high-watermark.

24. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    The OP (Dilusha) said that with accent on "10 years old" (458). Continuing the next model (facelift) on the same platform looks like disappointment for many people, especially those overwhelmed by mclaren 720s' media hype. I want to add that Alpine A110 has some drawbacks ;) compared to a 10 years old 458 Italia. It hasn't got a NA engine like Ferrari 458, nor Alpine's 1.8l turbocharged engine is anywhere near the engineering excellence of the Ferrari 488 engine family. Also looking at the Alpine, I prefer the sexy look of 458 Italia :).

Melvok likes this.
  25. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Thanks for bringing this up, because I forgot about that slide. Perfect example of how you can double the offer in one segment, while making sure that each model has its own identity.

Caeruleus11 likes this.