F308 and 408 motor | FerrariChat

F308 and 408 motor

Discussion in '308/328' started by LAMAROSSA, Apr 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LAMAROSSA

LAMAROSSA Karting

Mar 22, 2004
    CT for Now
    Full Name:
    Lamarossa G. P.
    No I'm not an idiot.

I was just over my friends house helping him taking a 308 motor out of his car for rebuild and we got in to the topic of a 408 motor.

Yes, it's called the 408. Some guy in Cali is taking the stock 308 bottom end, bored with new sleeves making 450 hp. Its probably going to be expensive but that is a huge increase in performance. I've heard you had to be on a list since this guy only has limitted number of motors.

Another 308 is about to be born again.

Lamarossa

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    One of our sponsers Nick Forza has done it/is doing it.

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Deleting posts now ... hmmm, interesting. So much for free speech! Can't see this site lasting for long if we continue down that road. Pitty.

Pete

4. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I know Nick is working on one and it should be great. 450 hp seems like a strech though. 4 liters is big enough to make it, but there would need to be some SERIOUS head work done to flow that much air. Normally when you make an engine bigger, it makes more peak torque, but at a lower rpm. The hp stays about the same, but again is at a lower rpm. If you do porting at the same time, the hp % increase is equal to the % increase in flow or increase in displacement, which ever is lower (assuming cams, compression ratio, ect all match).

5. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Pete, it has been told to us, crack down on the regulars who attack other members, even if they are lamarossa. So, rather then attack a member that irks you, add him or her to your ignore list.

6. jmuriz

jmuriz Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I agree with mk e, it'd take a LOT of work to make that HP, new cams, bigger bore, more stroke, lots more intake/exhaust flow (needs to be about 80% of intake). It can be done, just a lot of money needed. Also a lot of dyno tuning can make the diff...having a dyno and a few hours to dial in the timing and fuel will do wonders!

7. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Yes, Nick is working on a kit,
    and I had talked with another engine builder over a year ago about their engines, just under 4 liters.
    While they did produce much better torque numbers, they have heat issues.

8. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I guess I'd be very surprised to learn that there is enough metal in the heads to fit valves and ports big enough to feed 450 hp.

That sounds right. Increasing displacement increases torque, but normally not hp. Heat is a problem with stock 308s, the radiators are very borderline. A switch to an aluminum radiator would probably solve it. I installed an oversize alumuinum radiator a couple years ago when I added the supercharger and with about 360 hp, the temp needle never gets above 170...We'll see this summer if it still handles the new bigger supercharger and 600 hp :)

9. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Hey Mark, speaking of radiators...
    Look what UPS delivered not more than 3 hours ago!

Of course I did the proper thing,
    Took the rest of the day off to rough it in.

10. scuderia47

scuderia47 Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Mainland
    Full Name:
    Bill
    i have a vauge recollection of ferrari making a 408 4-wheel drive prototype in the late 80s.....first of all, was this called the 408, and did it have a 4 liter 8 cyl, or did the "4" denote 4 wheel drive?

on a side not, there has been much discussion about the quality of post going down the drain, and Lamarossa has been at the focus of some of these threads...but id like to say that this thread that he started is relevant, has decency, and is a good topic of discussion.

please all of you tools out there....post threads that are relevant, decent, and in some way contribute to good discussions.

11. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Dave

SWEET!!!

I'm sure it make a big difference!

12. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Dave, dont keep me in suspense, tell me more!

13. jpl

jpl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Yulee Florida
    Full Name:
    JP Lavigne
  14. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Just make sure the big black cat doesnt try to mark the rad as its own.