F355 5:2 AC compressor | FerrariChat

F355 5:2 AC compressor

Discussion in '348/355' started by Klas, Jun 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    The AC compressor is a mechanical Sanden SD7. In that one there are several pistons compressing the coolant fluid. There is also a 7-arm star in it. See picture. What purpose has that one, and how shall it be installed i.e certain position etc? Shall it be fixated or rotate?

2. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    #2 SeattleM5, Jun 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    That's the valve plate for the compressor. The intake/outlet valve springs exist within the plate. The plate is fixed between the head of the compressor and the main body (ie it does not rotate). There are two metal gaskets on each side of the valve plate that seal it to the head and the body of the compressor. This is the part that often gets damaged when the AC system is over charged. In that situation the valve springs are bent into the open position and no longer seal.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-G900V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Qavion likes this.
  3. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    #3 Klas, Jun 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    Thanks. My compressor was leaking a bit and I took it apart and I planned to exchange the gaskets on each side of the valve plate. Got these gaskets - and they are made of paper or similar, not metal, from my Ferrari workshop tech. When taking the compressor apart I noticed that there were no other gaskets beside the metal gaskets in it. (?!) Strange, but I put the new once I had in it and kept the metal gaskets too. I also loosened the 7-armed star by mistake and I am afraid I did not get that one right when putting it together again. The reason for my doubts are that the system runs with to low resistace now as the idle speed compensation for the compressor load delivers to much which give to high idle speed. When pushing the AC stop button, the idle goes down to normal 1050 rpm. The other option is that there is still a leak of coolant fluid somewhere.

4. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    One possibility is that the valve plate has been installed up side down. Anyhow, read the attached service/repair manual.

Attached Files: