F355 alternator rebuild update, with part numbers. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

F355 alternator rebuild update, with part numbers.

Discussion in '348/355' started by jm3, Oct 10, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Nope.

You don't touch the a-arm shims. The alignment is adjusted via shims behind the bolts on the bottom arm rockers that are attached to the sub-frame. Even if you did all you would have to do is make sure that you put the shims back in the right spot. But you don't even mess with those so it doesn't matter. There is no adjustment on the wheel hub bolts. Two bolts run through the hub and attach to the a-arms, that's all.

It isn't a hard job, just a big time mess.

2. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    You don't need to mark them, unless you want to. The axles have nothing to do with the alignment of the rear wheel. All the axles do is get the power to the wheels. Remove the break caliper, the break rotor, one nut on the outer cv joint running through the hub, four bolts on the cv joint near the tranny, and it's out. You may even want to remove the bottom and top a-arm bolts to move the hub out of the way. But that's it, nothing to it. On my 348 I can have that axle out in 45 minutes or less.

3. AZSpider

AZSpider Karting

Oct 8, 2004
    San Diego CA
    After I updated the alternator I took it for a ten minute test drive and everything seemed Ok. No lights and all functioned well.

Today I took it out for a longer drive and ten minutes into the drive the battery light came on again.

Before it was going on and off. Now it just stays on. So, I guess it is back to the drawing board. Any ideas?

Nick

4. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Check your grounds, and the tension on the belt.

5. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    I paid my mechanic of ten years to do this CV boot job because it was too much of a hassle/mess for me. Though every time I buy a car I always have at least a four wheel alignment done along with a fresh brake job and new tires. Just so I know where the car is at. :)

6. AZSpider

AZSpider Karting

Oct 8, 2004
    San Diego CA
    Thanks, I did both already. It just seems rather odd that the fix worked them came back after it heated up. I will replace the regulator once again to make sure it is not faulty or to see if it got too hot. If it works again only to come back, it may be a heat issue.

Nick

7. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    How about the brushes? What condition were those in? You may need new brushes, or even a new stator/rotor? But even if you do the website that Josh found has all that stuff. You can completely rebuilt the entire alternator for $100, new regulator, rectifier, brushes, rotor, and stator. The rebuild that I show is only a partial, but like I said you can still do a 100% rebuild for $100.

Say you know what? What regulator did you put in????? Was it the RN02, or the RN10? If you used the RN10 maybe we can't use that one after all, even though it has the correct bolt size? Hmmmmmmmm? Try putting in the other one and see what that does.

8. AZSpider

AZSpider Karting

Oct 8, 2004
    San Diego CA
    The brushes looked fine, the rotor? not sure of, the RN-02 refers to the rectifier not the regulator. I will see after I install another regulator. I also have a spare RN-02 to try if not.

9. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    D'oh!

Your right, Sorry I used the wrong wording.

10. hacker-pschorr

hacker-pschorr Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2006
    Land of Lambeau
    Thanks JM, just ordered the parts from Holcombe, $33.91 with shiping!!!

11. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Easy job. Just remember to shut off the main battery switch, and have a right angle #1 size Phillips screwdriver. Small 1/4" metric socket set and screwdrivers and you are all set. Takes only a few minutes to accomplish. Watch out for the cover over the brushes...mine was sort of welded to the metal cover I removed. I just left it stuck on it, so I didnt' lose it. ;)

12. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Any word regarding the RN-02 versus the RN-10 rectifier? I am about to rebuild and I don't want to use the RN-10 if it is going to fail.

13. hacker-pschorr

hacker-pschorr Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2006
    Land of Lambeau
    I cheated, the motor is currently out for a major.

I didn't read every post in this thread and I ordered the RN-02. Is this not the correct part anymore?

14. dasherdiablo1

dasherdiablo1 Rookie

Jun 25, 2010
    This thread has made reference to Holcombe Direct. I tried to order the new regulator and rectifier to see if they would mail it to the UK. All I can say is what a terrible company they are. Thoroughly disgusted by their attitude and attrocious service. I have had 2 emails from them as follows;

Email 1. Part is not available through us.
    Email 2. PART NOT AVAILABLE THROUGH US.

These were the only words in the emails. No 'dear sir', or 'thanks for your enquiry'.

The frustrating thing is that the parts I am after are listed on their website.

Holcombe Direct are obviously a cowboy outfit. Disgusting service. If they are this bad when trying to give them business, image how bad they must be when you have a problem with a part they have supplied to you! Do not even think about giving them your business!!!

15. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Have you attempted to call or email them directly? All of my communications were handled just fine, and quickly.

16. AZSpider

AZSpider Karting

Oct 8, 2004
    San Diego CA
    My original post was almost four years ago so this may not be relevant or the supplier has since changed their distribution methods. They were straight up with me and sent the parts I ordered then but who knows now what their strategy is. The funny thing is that this post reminded me that I still have a RN02 and a couple of new (1485) regulators laying on my parts shelf if anyone needs them.

17. jssans

jssans Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I'll try & buy them again from Holcombe Direct. If i get them I'll send them to the UK for you dasherdiablo1. PM me with your address.

18. jssans

jssans Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Ordered the parts last night.
    Email response this morning:

CURRENTLY OUT OF THESE ITEMS. I AM TOLD I WILL NOT HAVE STOCK ON THESE TILL THE FIRST PART OF MAY. I WILL CANCEL THIS ORDER AS I AM SURE YOU NEED IT BEFORE THAT TIME.

CUSTOMER SERVICE

19. dasherdiablo1

dasherdiablo1 Rookie

Jun 25, 2010
    Thanks for that! At least you got a decent response and explanation.

I have now managed to order them from a UK supplier.

20. sicopa2000

sicopa2000 Rookie

Apr 12, 2007
    Spain
    Hi,
    Anybody knows the new (internet) adress for holcombe direct or an other supplier?
    I need a regulator for an 355.
    Thanks

21. spaghetti_jet

spaghetti_jet Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I would be particularly interested in a European source, anybody?

22. spaghetti_jet

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    BUMP.

Guys, sorry to bump-up this old thread, but I am now rather desparately in need of a European source for the 355 Alternator rebuild parts. UK or Italy preferred. Can anybody help??

Thanks, Bob.

23. The Outcast

The Outcast Formula 3

Apr 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Michigan
    Howdy...if you can't find any, let me know. I can get them for you and ship them; you could pay me with PayPal.

24. The Outcast

The Outcast Formula 3

Apr 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Michigan
    Howdy...if you can't find any, let me know. I can get them for you and ship them; you could pay me with PayPal.

25. spaghetti_jet

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thank you very much for the kind offer. I've tracked down a very helpful supplier in Birmingham, UK. The bits are in the post and hopefully they are right. Should be with me Wednesday, I'll report back.