F355 Brakes - upgrade? | FerrariChat

F355 Brakes - upgrade?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Ade, Feb 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    I have couple of question around Brakes for my 355 Spider. My car has done 23,000 miles, and I'm not sure if the brakes have ever been replaced - however, they squeak like hell !!!!!

My Mechanic is going to check this out for me in two weeks, but I wanted to see what anyone else thought about what I should do.

1)How do I prevent the squeaks?
    2)Has anyone completely upgraded their 355 brakes - how much? + good result? to What?
    3)Is this probably pads or disks or both? What should the cost be?
    4)What is my best solution considering I plan to keep the car for a long time and potentially do some track days..

Thanks everyone
    Ade

2. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

I put F40 rotors and calipers on the front with 255/33/18 tires and 295/25 rears and the braking is outstanding. The calipers were slightly used and the rotors were new--cross drilled and slotted. I put cross drilled rotors on the rear and painted the calipers red to match the front. Cost was aroung $1200 if I remember.

3. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Here's a good start from our search engine, there is much more material on the old site's engine too:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1035
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1517
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8290
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3928

Stick with stock brakes for a while.
    Squeals can be addressed by the many methods you'll read about when you search for "brake squeal" or "brake noise", I like the anti-squeal goop on the pads back surface method.

If you have further questions or require clarification, please by all means post here in Technical under a new thread.

Welcome to Fchat.

Best regards,

Rob Schermerhorn

4. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Ade, if you do decide to sell your calipers, please contact me.

5. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Adrian,

Rob is correct about sticking with the stock brakes. Unless you track your car the stock ones are pretty decent.

If you do want to upgrade them Brembo, makes a complete upgrade kit here in the US (don't know about the UK) that uses F40 calipers in the front and F50 calipers in the rear with Brembo cross-drilled rotors.

When I had a 355 street car I upgraded to this setup for the track and it was a very good system.

In terms of fade and performance compared to my 355 Challenge, the Brembo upgrade kit was about half way in between the stock 355 street brakes and the Brembo Challenge brakes.

Cost was about $5300 for front and rear.

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod
    www.flatoutracing.net

6. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    1) There is a goopy spray that goes on the back sides of the pads that attempts to ameliorate brake squeeks. However, the easiest way to eliminate the squeeks is to take the car to the track and run the living snot out of it. Grind off 15% of the life of the pads, and presto--no squeek--for a while.

2) I use a higher performance brake pad and good fresh fluid. I run the snot out of my F355 in the heat of Texas summers without additional brake incidents. I happen to use Ferrord DS2500s, however, others have used other higher performance pads with godd success.

3) Unless the car is being converted to track only use, the stock rotors are fully capable (with better pads) of doing everything you want high performance brakes to do.

4) I got 31 track days out of a set of rotors using DS2500s--this is to be considered 'good' rotor life at the track.

7. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    If you are primarily concerned with the squeeks a set of Poterfield brake pads for about $120 will take care of the problem. Either poterfield.com or poterfieldbrakes.com, I think.

8. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Just my preferrence---but I will never do business with Brembo--they have screwed me over bad or parking brakes.