F355 CEL/SDL after storage for nine months | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F355 CEL/SDL after storage for nine months

Discussion in '348/355' started by Pepsi10, Aug 31, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pepsi10

Pepsi10 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2008
    InlandNorthWest
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    ]
    Much appreciated. I will think. I guess one piece of information is that everything seems fine before the car is warmed up. Car revs freely to 5000, no lights, etc. So if it was a loose connection etc. I would think it would happen during warm up too? But it will probably turn out to be something like that?

2. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Yes. That's the other thing I was thinking. Open loop >>> Good. Closed loop >>> Bad. What happens in closed loop that's not in open loop? When does cat temp signal enter the picture. Like Ian has stated, it looks like the main ECU is getting a bogus or not signal from the cat ECU and your battery tests seem to confirm that. Not of much help, I know. Hope you get it sorted.

Pepsi10 likes this.
  3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Let me give you another clue. On a 5.2 F355 with OBD2, once a SDL light is on and the CEL code is logged, the SDL will stay on at the next time the engine starts up. You have to clear the OBD2 error code before you can do more trouble shooting.

As for the 2250 rpm limit, I have no idea.

Pepsi10 likes this.
  4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #29 Qavion, Sep 2, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
    Weird. Does this apply to flashing and steady SDLs?

Pepsi10 likes this.
  5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Sorry, I should have been more specific. The RH Thermocouple ECU is connected to pin 15, the LH Thermocouple ECU is connected to pin 14. Your OL (open circuit) and zero ohms sound correct. Unfortunately, in light of Mitchell's (Yelcab's) information about latched SDLs, this puts us back at square one. The problem may indeed be a crank sensor or other issue.

Not knowing that SDLs are latched, I think I led myself down the wrong path :oops: Well, it seems to be latched in your case only on start up, then it starts afresh until the problem re-occurs. This is starting to make more sense. If, say, the crank sensor is malfunctioning at higher rpms, then perhaps fuel scheduling is being messed up and the SDL is being triggered. Why the ECU is not generating a fault code, I don't know. Perhaps it needs x seconds to confirm a fault. The very specific rpm seems strange, though.

For future reference, resistance checks should be done will all power off the circuits (probably best with battery off, too, when disconnecting the Motronic ECU plug).

Pepsi10 likes this.
  6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Or maybe it isn't.

With the double 1.5 volt battery bypass and the messages cleared, there should be no new SDLs. Unless SDLs are also triggered by non-exhaust-temperature related issues, this still points to an internal ECU fault.

Can the exhaust bypass thermocouple system trigger an SD light with an rpm limit?

7. Pepsi10

Pepsi10 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2008
    InlandNorthWest
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Thank you all for your ideas. I am still thinking about this problem.

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    This is what I would do if it were my car.

Clear all error codes using OBD2 scanner.
    Start the car, monitor all three analog signals from the three Thermal Control Units to see what voltage they are. Leave the car idling, wait for the SDL to come back, see which TCU is causing the high temp signal.
    Meanwhile, read the Long Term Fuel trim, Short term fuel trim, and O2 signals of both banks pre/post cats to see if they are within operating range. Is one bank way different from the other?
    Using the scanner, monitor engine temp and compare against actual engine temp
    Using the scanner, monitor RPM signals and compare to actual signal (you might need an oscilloscope)

Depending on what the data above say, I might decide where to go next. I realize that you are getting a lot of different suggestions, and it might be difficult to do all of them. You have to pick and choose.

flash32 likes this.
  9. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    +1

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    We’re certainly in new territory here and the potential to learn new things is great.

We know that we can’t use the battery trick for the exhaust bypass ECU… but will the battery trick on this ECU simply generate a fault message and not produce the 2250rpm limit when the engine is warm? I’ve never heard of exhaust bypass experiments causing rpm limitation. @Carmellini tried a range of dummy resistances/voltages, but, AFAIK, all he got was fault messages. Also, I can’t say I’ve heard of bank shutdowns or rpm limitations when you accidentally swap the leads on known good (exhaust bypass and RH cat thermocouple ECU’s). @Pespi10 maybe you could try the battery trick on the exhaust bypass TCU just to see what happens?

Given that there was a crank sensor fault, maybe it would be a good idea to order one of those.

Does your OBD2 reader show exhaust temperatures?

11. Pepsi10

Pepsi10 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2008
    InlandNorthWest
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Thank you for the ideas Yelcab and Qavion, much appreciated.
    Yes, I ordered a crankshaft sensor, this morning, but that will not be here, the inland northwest, for some days. Nothing in stock locally.
    Yes, I will try the battery trick on the exhaust bypass TCU, if I can find it.
    I do not think my 0BD2 reader will show exhaust temps. I guess my temp scanner could give me temps at different points along the exhaust.

I will think more about Yelcab’s ideas and I will clear codes as they arise, after noting what they were.

12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    To be honest, I wouldn’t get your hopes up on the crankshaft sensor being the cause. The crankshaft sensor provides tachometer information for the instruments. You don’t seem to be having problems with your tachometer.

When you say your engine won’t go above 2250, do you mean that throttle control is normal from idle to 2250? i.e. Pedal input vs rpm increase is normal in this small range then any further pushing of the pedal produces no further increase in rpm?

13. Pepsi10

Pepsi10 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2008
    InlandNorthWest
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Thank you Qavion-I was getting my hopes up about the crankshaft sensor. Good to temper that.
    Yes throttle control seems normal from idle to ~2250. At >2250 whether I feather the throttle, or press the throttle to the floor, some “rev limiter” kicks in, SDL and CEL come on, and the revs will go no higher. I thought I had video of that, but it seems I just have a photo. Maybe I can get video later.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Can your OBD2 scanner read the throttle position sensor?

Qavion likes this.
  15. Pepsi10

Pepsi10 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2008
    InlandNorthWest
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Mine can not, it is a very basic one. If anyone has a suggestion for a good/great quality scanner, please let me know.

16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I did think of the TPS, too, but wasn’t sure how the engine would respond to the loss of TPS data or with faulty TPS data:
    If the throttle is physically wide open, the MAF would be sensing high airflow. At some point, would the ECU say that this combination of faulty throttle position and MAF airflow is impossible and would put on the CEL and the SDL? Or does the ECU keep adding fuel to match the strange MAF/TPS combo, causing a cat temperature issue?
    But the latter doesn’t explain why you’re getting an SDL even with both cat thermocouple TCUs being bypassed.

My current shortlist is:
    1) Undocumented logic of SD lights (allowing, say, exhaust bypass temperatures or faulty MAF/TPS values to put on SDLs with the engine warmed up).
    2) Faulty Motronic ECU.

We still can’t be sure if the fault is linked to closed loop operation. It could simply be something on the engine heating up (or a relay/wiring overheating). Also, the WSM says that, at wide open throttle, the engine reverts to open loop operation.

Some folks recommend BlueDriver scanners, but I haven’t had any personal experience with these. Like yours, my scanner is surprisingly basic.

Pepsi10 likes this.
  17. Pepsi10

Pepsi10 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2008
    InlandNorthWest
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Update:
    My problem remains. Specifically, when I drive the car, SDL/CEL comes on at about 2250RPMS, and the engine is limited to below that RPMs.
    I have a crank sensor on hand, and a fuel filter, but I have installed neither.
    I installed a new battery, despite a check that said the old battery was “better than new.”
    I received a BlueDriver OBD scanner. It seems very good. One thing that is not working, for me, is something called Freeze Frame.*
    The only codes I see using the scanner are 0336 and 1396.

New data:I monitored “Absolute throttle position” (ATP) using the scanner and with RPMs at different levels. I have attached images of those.
    Bottom line is that ATP does not correlate with where I had the throttle using engine RPMs and my foot.
    So whether I was at 2000, 2500, 3000, 4000 using the tach**, ATP was always at about 2.5%. Not sure if this means anything.
    *Freeze frame takes an image of your system, when a code occurs. Unfortunately, when my SDL/CEL lights come on, the app reports no data.
    **”Mike, you told us you could not rev the car past 2250.” Turns out if the car is being driven, SDL/CEL come on usually at 2250, but it seems to depend on how warm the car is, how many times I have bounced the car off this rev limit, etc. With the car in neutral, it seems I can rev it higher, but that at about 4500 SDL/CEL come on, and the car wants to stall.
    Below are some images of fuel trim and ATP, versus what my tach/engine noise/foot are telling me (in yellow text).
    I will work on some of the other ideas from you guys. But need to understand the BlueDriver app better.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  19. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I guess you should probably change the crank sensor for 0336, too, but it would best to change one thing at a time (as you won't know what fixed the problem).

Did the BlueDriver give a description of 1396? It's not on the Ferrari list.

Pepsi10 likes this.
  20. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    If you change your TPS, is there anything on the BlueDriver which gives you an ECU reset. Learned parameters are not reset with a battery disconnect on the 5.2 car. Usually only a Ferrari SD tool can do this.

Perhaps BlueDriver owners can tell you how to use Freeze Frame. There is a YouTube video on this, but I don't know if it will be of any help

It only seems to be triggered at the moment the CEL comes on.

Pepsi10 likes this.
  21. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Quote: "So whether I was at 2000, 2500, 3000, 4000 using the tach**, ATP was always at about 2.5%. Not sure if this means anything."

It absolutely means your throttle position sensor is bad, or the wires going from the throttle sensor to the ECU are bad. This is your main problem. Fix that first.

Pepsi10 likes this.
  22. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  23. Pepsi10

Pepsi10 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2008
    InlandNorthWest
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Thank you Qavion, thank you Yelcab-your help is sincerely appreciated.
    For a variety of reasons I will tackle the TPS if I can-I think I can find a compatible TPS fairly quickly. I will think about your other ideas. I have two questions if anyone can help me:
    1. Looking at the photo below. You can make out the TPS, it is held in place by two round headed(!) slotted bolts, and there is some yellow paint over both bolts. I have not tried to get the bolts out as the slots are filled with paint. But I have tried scraping some of the paint out of the slots. So first step will be to get that paint out. Making things difficult is the angle of the sensor, and a variety of brackets etc. It looks like it is going to either be very difficult, or very involved, to remove a lot of other stuff, to give me a better shot.
    1. So question one, is there some secret to getting out these bolts/screws? I was reading that some Porsche 911 TPS are held in place in a similar way, and removing them is also a pain.
    2. Removing the connector from the sensor; there is a bare piece of metal wire you can see that I imagine is a clip holding the connectors together. I think I saw that same kind of connector/clip on the crank position sensor, when I was crawling under the car. Releasing the connector? Do you first remove that metal clip? Do those type of connectors have a particular name?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    From memory, I think you just squeeze the metal clip (i.e. push towards the front of the car) and pull on the plug.

As well as resistance checks on the old TPS, you can check for 5 volts DC (with the ignition on) on the plug (between pin 1 and 2). i.e. on the engine harness side of the plug. Pin 2 should be the earth.

The TPS mount may allow slight movement (to help set up the relationship between the throttle shaft and the TPS). The yellow paint, if disturbed, will show that someone has removed the TPS. Anyway, do your best to remove the paint from the bolts. It may be best to use a ratchet/socket to remove the bolts, rather than risk damaging the screw slot.
    The new TPS may just be plug and play. One it has been installed, you can check adjustment using your Blue Driver.

25. Pepsi10

Pepsi10 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2008
    InlandNorthWest
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Thank you for the ideas Qavion.
    Unfortunately, I think the bolts have round heads. Very strange, but I think fairly typical of TPS in other cars. They really do not want people messing with these TPS sensors I guess? Have to have a go with a slotted screwdriver, at very strange angles, because of stuff in the way etc. I will have another look in the morning, in the photo, it looks like they are not rounded. But at the car, they looked rounded.