F355 CEL/SDL after storage for nine months | Page 3 | FerrariChat

F355 CEL/SDL after storage for nine months

Discussion in '348/355' started by Pepsi10, Aug 31, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    You may be right. In some of my photos, they kind of look hexagonal, but in others, round. Weird. Maybe I have one of each :p

Pepsi10 likes this.
  2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    In the world of Ferrari, that TPS is actually ...easy to get to.

Pepsi10 likes this.
  4. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    If the problem is the TPS, why does it rev fine when cold?

Pepsi10 likes this.
  5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I suppose temperature could affect anything (components heating up, things expanding, etc). Of course, there may be a combination of factors. There is a crank sensor code and there definitely seems to be a TPS problem.

Maybe the TPS (sensor or wiring) was partially working before, but was breaking down with heat. The ECU is getting nonsense data: i.e. the engine is idling at crazy rpms when you push the pedal to the floor. i.e. idling according to the TPS signal.

Maybe the TPS has now failed completely?

Pepsi10 likes this.
  6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Maybe. But seems strange. Also with the crank sensor you always get that code on a 2.7 car if the engine is not running. Don't know if that's true for a 5.2 car.

7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Strange. I don’t recall seeing it on my car. Not even a pending code for the crank sensor.

8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky

The 5.2 is probably smarter. :)

Qavion likes this.
  9. Pepsi10

Pepsi10 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2008
    InlandNorthWest
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Progress. I got the old TPS out. Two observations. First, in 50 or 60 years of messing with screws/bolts etc. The two screws holding the TPS in place, they were seated, but they were not very tight-probably the easiest two screws have come out on an important piece of electronics. They came out without much of a struggle at all (once I disconnected a couple hoses that were in the way).
    Someone had put something, probably dielectric grease in the connection. The connector side looked pretty good, but the actual TPS had gobs of grease, you can see in the photo.
    The TPS I picked up at an auto parts store yesterday, that supposedly cross referenced to one on our list, it will not work. So I could not test a new part.* Just as well as I probably will go to a dealership tomorrow and try to get the part, and more importantly, I will have the old part in my hand to make sure it will work.
    *Tempted to clean out the old part, or all the grease, and try it. But if I can find a new part, I will do that.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion likes this.
  10. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    The TPS is the one part on a 355 that actually has gold connectors from the factory. It's the last place you need dielectric grease. Make sure what ever part you replace it with has gold pin as well.

Pepsi10 likes this.
  11. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    You can still do resistance checks on the old item (as per the previous diagrams). It may save you a few dollars if the sensor turns out to be ok.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/148730889/

Strange. I'm not sure where I got the cross-reference table from. I'll remove it from my files.

Pepsi10 likes this.
  12. Pepsi10

Pepsi10 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2008
    InlandNorthWest
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Please do not delete. Your table was excellent. A great start. I think it was more my parts store telling me this was an = part to something on your list, while it was not. There were 2-3 problems. For instance the new part I got, the pins were recessed quite a bit, versus the Bosch. And even a couple plastic tabs to keep the new part in place, they would interfere with pressing the new part into place. For sure the new part would not work. Tomorrow I will call a Maserati place, Porsche and Kia, etc.
    Yes, I will test the old part.

Carmellini and Qavion like this.
  13. Pepsi10

Pepsi10 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2008
    InlandNorthWest
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Update: I replaced the TPS and nothing changed, after warm up, the car would stall at 2000 or so revs, with SDL/CEL coming on. I could barely limp the car back around the block and to the garage. Almost feeling like things were getting worse. So, changing the TPS did not change my problem. One note, be careful when replacing the TPS, there is a rubber gasket that can be lost/doubled up (meaning you will leave the old one in place by accident) if you do not pay attention.

I decided to change out the crank sensor, as I had ordered it from Daniel/Ricambi, and had it on hand. Removing the crank sensor, as others have probably noted many times(?), can be done with the alternator belt in place etc. but you need small hands and small tools to get to the allen bolt that is on the top of the crank sensor. And it helped to remove one of the panels on the bottom of the car.

There was one shim in place. This shim was not in the greatest shape (a previous mechanic had twisted one part of the shim, but I decided to continue on. The existing crank sensor had a pretty serious crack in it (see image). I suspect such a crack would do it no good. I have replaced the crank sensor, with the one shim, and have put everything back together. But I have run out of time for today. I will see how it runs tomorrow with the new crank sensor.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Good tip.

Thanks for the update and good luck! Hopefully the crank sensor change will at least get rid of your sensor fault code.

Don't forget to clear the codes before going for a drive.

Other than looking into your exhaust bypass thermocouple system, I think we are rapidly unning out of ideas. You can't use the battery trick on that one, so you might need to interchange the Thermocouple ECU with one of the other ones. You may get some different codes.

Pepsi10 likes this.
  15. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You probably should measure the signals of the throttle position sensors at the 88 pin connector at the ECU. That will rule out wires being the issue. If your new crank sensor does not solve your problem, then the remaining possibility is the ECU itself.

Pepsi10 and Qavion like this.
  16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Did you mean pin 44, Mitch? Pin 88 is related to the Immobiliser.

Since the TPS is provided with 5v power by the ECU, then everything would have to be powered to do voltage checks. To intercept the voltage, you would have to pull the backshell off the ECU connector and probe the wiring. Seems risky.

Perhaps resistance checks between the TPS and the ECU would be safer?

Pepsi10 likes this.
  17. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Tip for others: It's easier to get to the crank sensor through the left wheel well. Remove the wheel and the fender liner.

Pepsi10 and Carmellini like this.
  18. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I mean the 88-pin connector.

Pepsi10 and Qavion like this.
  19. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Ooops... I misread your message.

20. Pepsi10

Pepsi10 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2008
    InlandNorthWest
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Hmmm. Now the car won’t start at all. It cranks like a champ. But no ignition. Alarm system seems to be working normally.
    ODB shows no codes.

21. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Did you check the distance between the new crank sensor and the teeth after installation? You said you had shim problems.

Fuel level ok?

Carmellini likes this.
  22. Pepsi10

Pepsi10 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2008
    InlandNorthWest
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    #72 Pepsi10, Sep 13, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
    Fuel level is half full.
    No I did not check the distance between the sensor and the teeth. The reading I had done last week, it said to be careful with the shims, use the same number of shims, etc. But I did not see anyone measuring the gap.
    The one shim that was in place before, I did not take a photo, but someone in the past servicing of the car, had either mangled the shim, or doubled part of it over on itself to slightly increase its width? I have drawn what the shim should look like, somewhat like an upside down tear drop (left). And what mine looked like, with some of shim doubled over on itself.
    When the car would not start, with the new crank sensor, as a final idea, I put the old TPS back. So currently, the original TPS is back in the car. But the car still will not start.
    One final thing about the failure to start. In the past, when the car was up on a lift, which is not very common, I have had problems with it starting after lowering it. I attributed this to some strange thing about the Ferrari alarm system, or the rear trunk lid not being completely closed? Something like that. Usually the next day the car would start fine, and I would not have any problems for months after. I did get four beeps today, and then I re-closed trunks and doors, but still no start.
    View attachment 3394950

Attached Files:

23. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #73 Qavion, Sep 13, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
    Maybe the immobiliser anti-tilt/lift sensor has been triggered? I seem to recall reading somewhere that you have to give the fob button a long push to reset a triggered alarm system (hearsay only).

You have some mighty strange shims there.

Anyway, the clearance should be 0.35~0.9mm

Pepsi10 likes this.
  24. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Were the 4 beeps still present after you closed the trunks and doors? These shouldn't stop the car starting anyway (unless you have an F1).

25. Pepsi10

Pepsi10 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2008
    InlandNorthWest
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    No, I think the four beeps happened, and then I rechecked the various trunks and doors, and now is the usual one beep, two beep sequence. I will try the long key fob press.
    Yeah, the shims were a drawing of what I remember from last night. They are incredibly thin, and a previous mechanic had messed with the shim. I’ll get a photo next time.
    Thanks for the gap for the shim distance. I will check it.