355 - F355 challenge engine and gearbox mounts | FerrariChat

355 F355 challenge engine and gearbox mounts

Discussion in '348/355' started by michaelz, Jan 31, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. michaelz

michaelz Karting

Jul 7, 2017
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi all, just needing to clarify whether I can use both F355 challenge engine mounts (PN: 168358) AND the F355 gearbox mounts (PN: 159423) on a regular M2.7 F355B ?

I've read the engine mounts are a good upgrade but haven't found any threads regarding the gearbox mounts so thought I'd double check before ordering.

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I been thinking about the same upgrade for a while, Michael. Yes, they're compatible, but I doubt the average person would know the difference. I don't think I'd bother having them changed unless my standard ones were showing signs of wear and I was due for a major. If you're working with a limited budget, I would save my pennies for a rainy day. With cars this old, rainy days are usually around the corner.

It looks like your 2.7 car will need the different/additional spring washers and washers, too (#127496 & #14496609) if your car has the "old solution", but it's probably best to replace all the mounting hardware.

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/355-group/f355-m2-7-1995/gearbox-differential-housing-and-intermediate-casing.html

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/355-group/f355-m2-7-1995/crankcase.html

3. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Yes, I've had them on my 95 for 10 years. I believe they are the same on the 550.

4. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Yuuup they fit. Depends on what you consider an "upgrade"
    They are stiffer that's good for a race car but a street car I think I rather allow a little flex as designed.

ShineKen likes this.
  5. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    i'm about to change my motor and gear mounts and noticed using these part numbers, the actual physical parts look identical. Is there any difference between the two or did Ferrari just have different part numbers for the same part so they don't get mixed up?

6. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    What material is it? Stiffer usually means more NVH.

7. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    It seems to be hard rubber. I measured everything and literally you can't tell the difference if there is even any

ShineKen likes this.
  8. michaelz

michaelz Karting

Jul 7, 2017
    Melbourne Australia
    Didn't end up going the Challenge mounts. Based on actual feedback from the independent shop that did my engine out service, they commented the extra harshness and vibrations would make the car less enjoyable on the street. I ended up going with new standard mounts all round.

Carmellini likes this.