F355 coil-on-plug conversion | Page 10 | FerrariChat

F355 coil-on-plug conversion

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jeffdavison, Oct 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    What is the length on them compared to the 355 COPs?

2. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Jeff or Jonathan, would you know what the OD is of the round bosses on the valve covers?

3. dontknownuttin

dontknownuttin Karting

Mar 21, 2014
    Forest Lake, MN USA
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    The 355's are 5", the ones I have are 5.6"

4. dontknownuttin

dontknownuttin Karting

Mar 21, 2014
    Forest Lake, MN USA
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    I assume you meant "bases"? Do you mean at the very bottom where the plug is, or at the very top lip?

5. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Jonathan, probably used the wrong terminology - I meant the top lips on the valve covers - what's the OD of those?

6. dontknownuttin

dontknownuttin Karting

Mar 21, 2014
    Forest Lake, MN USA
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    No idea. Could measure them tonight if you want.

7. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Thanks, yes. This dimension would be useful for anyone trying to source a weatherproof cap for these coils.

8. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Was curious to know if a before and after dyno test was ever performed?

Has anyone put a kit together for the 355?

9. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    To my knowledge nobody has found an exact fit CoP for the 355, the one in this thread put machined spacers on the plug cover to make room for the CoP's underneath. If somebody found a CoP that would fit, it'd be a very easy conversion. I plan to do it when I do my major next year and it will probably involve me sitting in a parts store going through every single CoP I can find to see if one is the same length as the plug extenders. I'm not going to mess with aftermarket ignition boxes and all that, just match impedance and hook to the existing coil triggers.

10. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

As some are aware, I have kits for the 550's that are working very well, and they're basically what Pete is describing. It wouldn't be difficult to do a kit for the 355, but I need access to a local 355 to be the guinea pig for #1, in order to get the harness lengths perfect.

There's 3-4 different COP lengths, so it shouldn't be a big issue to find one that works well, and hopefully without having to resort to cover spacers.

With the Motronics 5.2, I will say that the ECU's don't like the resulting impedance when the complementary COP's are wired in parallel, so they must be wired in series, which cuts the voltage in half, and doesn't allow for full charging, however I've countered that by offering the HKS DLI as an option for those who really need every millijoule they can get out of the system. The HKS DLI isn't nearly as large as an MSD DIS-4, so it's easier to integrate/hide.

Cars with the Motronics 2.7 should be easier to work with since the ignitors are external to the ECU, and a hotter ignition system would be much easier to come up with.

11. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    John I have not finished mine yet just to update you. I put my major off to buy more "goodies" for the motor. I have the denso COPs that just about clear the covers, if I machine the plug "bump" on the underside they may clear without any rubbing

12. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Tim, remind me again, are those the 4420 Denso's as used on the 'Busa's, or others?

13. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I have the denso 129700-3630 From a Kawi Ninja or Z12

14. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I'd make my car available but I'm in LA :(

15. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Thanks; I need one a "little" closer :)

Tim, I think those are the same length as the 4420's I use from the 'Busa's. I show the 3630's OA length to be 5" vs 5.14" for the 4420's. Whether the 5" dimension is spot on, or just close, would be interesting to know, so I've just bought one from eBay and will compare it to one of my 4420's and update.

16. YAMVS6

YAMVS6 Karting

Jan 26, 2011
    ohio
    2.7 motronic ignition module has one command for 2 cylinders,so it fires 2 plugs at the same time,have to be aware of that if your wiring it for coil on plugs,regards

17. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Anyone have issues with MSD boxes? Like high failure rate?

Ago

18. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Same I think for all or nearly all static ignition based Ferrari's until the 360 and 575 when they went to true sequential ignition (1 spark per coil per 720 degrees, instead of 2).

The nice thing about the 2.7 setup is having the external ignitors, which means they "could" be eliminated and you could send the low level ECU triggers to smart coils (with built-in ignitors) and/or CDI ignition modules directly. It just opens up the choices for the end user.

For those of us with 5.2's, we don't have that choice without doing some surgery inside the ECU's.

19. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    #244 SoCal1, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is the stock plug for the 355 5.2

I think worst case I can machine off the nubs on the underside of the cover or simply use a small standoff washer to raise the cover a few mm, aid in cooling also. Rain is not an issue here in SoCal as we got 1 inch last year
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Prugna

Prugna Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Unites States
    MSD boxes work great until you hook them up to 12 volts.

21. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Thanks for that Tim; I thought I remembered someone saying they'd found a pencil coil that was only 4 7/8" long, but I can't find that post ATM.

Seems like you'd need a coil a bit shorter than 5" to be able to get the mating connector on it. At least with the 355's and their covers, there's no possibility of the coil working its way up & off the plug :) I had to take some special precautions with my 550 setups to eliminate that from happening.

22. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    #247 SoCal1, Nov 13, 2014
    Here is the 3630 its about 5 1/8 inch long
    I actually like the idea of some how venting the COPs to get them some air
    I think anything much shorter then this and it may not make a positive contact to the sparkplug or leave enough room for the connector to span on
    We will dial in something nice :D

23. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    #248 SoCal1, Nov 13, 2014
  24. redwedge

redwedge Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Steve C
    Was a definitive pencil coil ever found that works in the 355 with plug covers on and no spacers?

I have a new set of plug wires waiting to go on but fancy trying out COP instead.

25. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    Just a quick note I found all the crimp terminals from some place called Tecna Corsica or something like that, so I'm getting ready to build me up some nice new harnesses.

Still running strong after 10 years and I have this setup on both my 308's now. Same COP units I installed back in 2007 or 2008 ... whenever it was. Blamed them for a lot of problems that were all related to my crank trigger, which I've also upgraded from the Haltech flying magnet to 36-1 and 60-2 with a cheap Ford pickup ... luv it!

cheers