F355 F1 unit: ELECTRIC SWITCH for clutch-release | FerrariChat

F355 F1 unit: ELECTRIC SWITCH for clutch-release

Discussion in '348/355' started by mowater, Jun 8, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mowater

mowater Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    #1 mowater, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello, as many of you may know from my other thread, I am working on my F355 F1 and have replaced the original with a 360 F1 pump, along with the HE adapter, an HE throwout bearing, new clutch and clutch sensor.

My mechanic was still not happy with the results, and he is investigating the electric switch on the F1 unit that is responsible for the clutch-release.
    Thus, we took apart the 360 pump/HE adapter and installed another 355's unit to test and make sure that the clutch/throwout and everything is working fine; isolating the pieces and locating the exact problem.

Based on what I understood, it is the top one on the right hand side.

Unfortunately for all of us, this is part of the unit and if we wish to replace it then we will require the WHOLE $20k+ unit from Ferrari. Which is not going to happen, not over my dead body. :)

My question is:
    - can those switches be found separately?
    - any idea if there is a solution to upgrading it?

Kindly find attached a snap of the switch in question circled.
    Kindly share your experience and or knowledge.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mowater

mowater Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
  3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    #3 greyboxer, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
    I'm sure I read somewhere that the components are listed separately by Maserati or Alfa - apologies if I'm mistaking it for another similar component - also the complete unit shows as £ 7000 in the UK

4. mowater

mowater Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    Thanks greyboxer.
    Any idea where I can find more information?

Anyone else? :)

5. mowater

mowater Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    #5 mowater, Jun 15, 2011
    UPDATE:
    here is the part in question in more detail and
    supposedly the part number is 12100035
    my mechanic tells me the lower line (shown to be AC26 131) is related to manufacturing?
    this is the part as shown on my car right now

if you notice the script on the other solenoid i am using to show the stem (from another F355 F1 unit) then you can see that the second line reads VI15 028
    but i need to be reassured that the second line is NOT related to the part number itself or the function of this part. anyone? :)

i am working with Juri to try and place one

take note that the 4th pic is of a solenoid from a F360 as i was told
    it is used in the F360 and also on Maseratis, so perhaps it is what has been continued to be used up until the F458 came along?

i hope this is educational to you guys and i really wish that in the future this proves to be of value for anyone of the brotherhood.

JazP likes this.
  6. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    I can not help in your search but am here to cheer you on. Certainly more than a few of us are watching intently from the sidelines.

Carry on.........

7. MicroFirm

MicroFirm Karting

Dec 6, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Frank
    The second line is most likely a manufacturing date/lot code. Measure the coil resistance with an Ohmmeter and compare that value to any other that you'd like to replace it with. That should at least give you some piece on mind that they are compatible.

8. mowater

mowater Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    #8 mowater, Jun 16, 2011
    thanks WATSON
    i will keep you updated for sure

actually the manufacturing date is on the back of the solenoid
    here is a pic that shows it if you look cleary, but there is also a set of numbers on the left before the date that i have no idea what they refer to

what does "lot code" mean? :)

9. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

A lot code is a "batch" of serial numbers. The lot refers to a single run of manufacturing, or a single cycle of production.