F355 Immobilizer | FerrariChat

F355 Immobilizer

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by RAC911, Oct 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RAC911

RAC911 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2006
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Ralph Cacace
    Looking for electrical schematic of F355 immobilizer or how to bypass it

2. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Good luck whit that! Do a search on this forum regarding the 355 immobiliser system you will find plenty of info. I did hear that Specialized ECU Repair in Florida have a gizmo's that might help. Or talk to IMMO FIXER in Australia brilliant services from them there on the web

3. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Just get gobble to set you up some remotes and end of problem.

ddg599 and f355spider like this.
  4. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    This Bosch immo system is by far the worst feature on the 355/360. It's crap and very prone to failure. IMMO fixer in OZ is extremely helpful.

5. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I guess that is your opinion.
    I have replaced my alarm siren once in 19 years because of battery failure.
    Seems like about 1 every ten years need to replace it. I have had no trouble in between.
    It is a pain when you do no longer know the code but gobble has solved that as well.
    My opinion is obviously at the other end of the spectrum.

I had way more problems with the dynamic suspension originally but there has been fixes for that for over a decade and mine once fixed has been no problems.

6. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Unfortunately, I have had to have a look at the boards in the immo boxes and the solders look like they were done by a grade school beginner. Irregardless, they appear to be effected by heat. Living in AZ, the car gets exposed to plenty, and the problems are the worst in the summer.

If you have a chat with immo fixer, he has the same opinion. I see that you are located in CA, where your driving season is about 12 weeks between snow storms, so heat will not be an issue.

7. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Actually my car spends the winters in indio california. So generally not the 110 we get there in the summer but oftain between 75 and 100.
    Interesting because my board has never been replaced. i replaced the horn and battery it in 2009 or so.

Maybe since my car was a 99 it had more similar to the 360. Personally over the years I have heard a lot more of us 355 owners complain about the immobilizer than 360 owners.

So i take it you mean the actual board within the cabin??

8. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Do you have a thread where you took these apart.
    I may if its not destructive take mine apart and have a look.
    Never looked inside the ecu just the horn and battery box.

Not really debating what you ave seen just giving another opinion from my experience.

Lets face it not all years are the same. Sometimes they get better with model year and sometims not.

9. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    I think you'll find that there are a couple of people on the forum right now planning to market a bypass hack for the immobilizer and trying to scare people into thinking their immobilizer system could fail at any moment. This couldn't be farther from the truth. I've been playing with these things for 10 years now and have only heard of one or two failures, not counting flood cars. The system is pretty much bulletproof. The solder joints are fine. The relays are fine. It's older technology but so is the rest of the car. It will last as long as the car.

If you're willing to remove your ENGINE ECUs! and have them reprogrammed just to rip out a perfectly fine security system have at it. And by the way you would still need the key fobs to lock and unlock the doors unless you want to use the key or install something aftermarket. Most of the problems in past with immobilizers and fobs were due to ignorance of the system and the inability to find the PIN number. That's all been solved and your system can be brought back to the way it left the factory pretty easily and cheaply (if you're missing any of it).

Nothing beats an original Ferrari when it comes time to sell it.

Here's a pic you asked for of the board...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

taz355, Qavion and Beetle like this.
  10. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Immobilizer failure is probably less than .001%. It's almost unheard of. The issues are owners losing FOB's and / or PIN's

I've been hardcore involved with these cars for 6 years and cannot recall a single immobilizer failure.

11. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Spot on. Some people just have to reinvent the wheel!!!!

Dave rocks likes this.
  12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Alarm system on the F355 through the Superamerica is very reliable once you understand how it works and have a full set of three fobs and the PIN code. In the olden days, that was a problem, but Gobble and others can now pull the PIN from a red fob or the immobilizer ECU and provide full sets of matching fobs, so there is no excuse now for not having a complete working system. Swap the batteries regularly, pinching the terminals (Ferrari recommends every 6 months), and the system works great.

Dave rocks likes this.
  13. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    This was my feeling with all the years of exposure I have had. I actually had my original pin and a new pin with three new remotes when i bought the car over a decade ago.

Usedthe key method and reprogramed and now have all three for over a decade.

Only problems i have ever had was the horn and backuup battery

14. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Obviously your board looks good

15. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I have had 2 355s dump the alarm modules and 1 550. They are identical units in both cars. Failures are more common then you may think.

From what I remember, the 355/550 alarm units are very close to the Ford probe from the 90,s

16. DavidRh

DavidRh Rookie

Jul 16, 2020
    Saline, Michigan
    Full Name:
    David Rhoads
    Where is the immobilized located on a 98 F355 Spider? I no longer have a light on the dash and cannot start the car. I have been told that means the immobilized battery has died. Any assistance will be appreciated.
    Thanks

17. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    It’s the anti-theft fuse. You have a failed siren. Unplug the siren (and eventually replace it) and replace the fuse (in the fuse box). Problem solved.

18. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
  19. DavidRh

DavidRh Rookie

Jul 16, 2020
    Saline, Michigan
    Full Name:
    David Rhoads
    I Know where the fuse box is but where is the siren.? Thanks

20. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    Under the drivers side headlight. I know Dave from StickyRX did a video on replacing it.

21. DavidRh

DavidRh Rookie

Jul 16, 2020
    Saline, Michigan
    Full Name:
    David Rhoads
    Thanks, I’ll look at the video

22. fidogt

fidogt Rookie

Nov 13, 2023
    Can anyone help me with the immo on the F355? The key fobs are lost, but I have a vehicle immobilizer and an immobilizer interface with a pendant from another car. Is there any solution? Thanks

23. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Talk to Gobble ferrarifobs.com

24. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    Send me the original and I can add fobs.

[​IMG]

25. fidogt

fidogt Rookie

Nov 13, 2023
    Gobble solved my problem excellently. The car starts... Thank you very much

Qavion likes this.