F355 Market | Page 169 | FerrariChat

F355 Market

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, May 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Something that would single-handedly increase the value of 355's substantially is if Hill Engineering released new service interval guidance for its tensioner bearings. Most of the automotive world still thinks you have to do a major every three years, when now it's more like 10. The frequency of the major is probably the single biggest thing holding down values.

JPMD, mclaudio and Skippr1999 like this.
  2. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I disagree, on more than one point.

I feel like the people that is a problem for, can't afford the car no matter what.

355 is a piece of cake to do a major on compared to 512tr that comes out from the top.

If that theory is true, why is a 512tr not less money than an F355?

Also, lets say we agree the one thing holding back the service interval was the idler bearings. You think Hill would want to take on the responsibility of extending the service interval to sell......probably zero more parts? Helllll no. Even if thats what they thought, they have nothing to gain.

Yassa, tres55 and BOKE like this.
  3. Doramon0720

Doramon0720 Karting

Jan 17, 2015
    Rancho Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Steven
    I Agree... but all of the pre-F355 mid engine all require the engine out service at the same interval, am I not correct?

4. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, but that's sort of missing the economics here. As the cost per mile to maintain a car increases, the market for that car decreases. Does anyone really doubt that if the gorgeous 355 was also as reliable as an NSX they'd still be worth only $65K?

Because it's a higher rung up the ladder of "exotic," probably. It's a V12, a more iconic 80's supercar, etc.

Completely agree. Hill would never do this, I was just floating it as sort of a thought experiment.

5. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    You can't buy a well-sorted 355 of any flavor for $65K.:rolleyes:

All 355s have the same maintenance requirements for the sake of discussion. People that can't afford 355s are the worst thing that has happened to them and their value.

Isn't this the "F355 Market Thread," not what the 355s sell for relative to other non-comparable cars?

Front engine V-12 Ferraris have much lower running costs than a 355, which doesn't seem to be helping their resale values. These are used cars in all kinds of conditions and they all have stories at this point in time. Great cars get the best money. The rest are used cars that need to be evaluated accordingly. If you want a reliable 20+-year-old used exotic car with cheap maintenance, forget about it and buy a Toyota or Honda.

The market sets the prices and separates the wheat from the chaff.

tres55, INTMD8, Robb and 2 others like this.
  6. Kruegmeister

Kruegmeister Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 24, 2016
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Kruegmeister
    $7-10K Major every 7 years is my Plan and it does not scare me at all.
    Spent $12K right off the bat on my 430 for Major, TPMS & a Clutch that was supossed to be at 70%
    Next year Needed a Rim (Pot Hole) $1K
    Next Year Needed Alarm Battery, Fluids & Headlight Washer Door another $3K (some other stuff in that service trip too)
    Now my Battery is a goner & sometime soon I'll probably need to replace the conertible top which will be uowards of $10K...
    It's called owning a Ferrari, maintenance isn't cheap & i've spent way more on my 430 than my 355 which shouldn't need its Majpr for another 5 1/2 years (Bought 1 1/2 years ago with a freah major)

So if someone is holding off on a 355 because they're are afraid of a Major, my advice would be you cannot afford ANY Ferrari

7. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
  8. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Maybe... but I suspect some hold off on 355 not due to Major cost but other costs, I think "major" is just a place holder for obscene running costs. One guy out here recently had engine rebuilt and it popped right after for a second time. Stories like that send a chill. Plenty of examples of engine failures after a Major too and I suspect its not "the Major" for many it just a synonym for potential substantial unplanned costs and gee was this a mistake to buy.

This is true of other models too I have read of 430 bearing failures etc but articles on the web regularly point to the 355 being brutally fragile and expensive to own leading one to believe one needs to light cigars with $100 dollar bills to own. If it was just the Major cost I don't think it would be a huge issue.

Plenty of fantastic problem free 355's out there, but I am not saying that narrative of brittleness is true or false I am simply trying to get into the mind of other potential buyers on the issue, even if their perception is not real. The fact is perception is their reality. I have seen it, I hear it all the time from folks who talk to me about the 348 and I hear the comments as they walk away. "spend as much on the car in a year as the car is worth" and videos claiming 25K is a major cost do not help. Its annoying but it makes them feel better about themselves.

The internet and attention seeking trolls trying to monetize things is not helping, videos and articles that don't say salacious things to show how smart the authors are don't generate money. "yes the 355 is great, no issues, minimal cost check in next week for a new video". Who wants to click that any how. People prefer to see things get knocked down not built up. Plus 90% of the articles is just some know nothing regurgitating what he thinks is true or what he read which is the machinery for alternate narratives to take hold as we know.

I don't think its the "major" its just a term used as a surrogate for cost for those who don't own them.

9. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

FLORIDAsnakeEyes Formula 3

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    I have talked to Walker motorsports many times over rthe past few years and made significant improvements over stock without too much hassle.
    They race the crap out of the F355 across the pond have no significant issues other than normal race wear.

The most basic things are as follows:

1. Change the paperthin stock headers with Fabspeed or similar.

2. Swap out the dual mass clutch with a sprung clutch like the 360

3. Stay away from the F1 altogether, 6 speed is so much easier to maintain

4. The valve guides: replace on 97 and under if necessary after a compression /leak down

5. Replace stock driveshaft with a German made EG.

Enjoy the car as I did. Drive it regularly. Never let me down and was incrediblely fun to own.

Sent from my SM-F900U using Tapatalk

10. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    I don't think so. Anecdotally I know of a few people that wanted a Ferrari and had narrowed it down to either an F355 or a 458. Guys went with the 458 literally citing 'lower running cost' -- even if just the extra sales tax would've kept the F355 running for a decade or two. The maintenance stories around the F355 affect people's judgment, regardless of them being able to afford it.

11. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Owning older cars is a labour of love. Some get it, some would rather just get in and go. Nothing wrong with either IMO.

12. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Live in CT. The annual personal property tax on a 458 would be at least half a major on a 355. After 3 or 4 years, do the math. And since a 355 is at least 21 years old, it's qualifies as a classic car and property tax is around $17. Add higher insurance costs. I'll take the 355, thank you

13. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    That's a good point. My 355 is $30 a month on a classic policy.

Robb likes this.
  14. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    somewhere in this thread, there was a most to least valuable ranking of f355s and F1 variants.

GTB, GTS, spider. and F1 versions.... I'll exclude the specials and challenge cars for now.

I can't find it...what's the general opinion?

sjd

15. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    My opinion back on page 155

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/147424472/

Robb

steved033 likes this.
  16. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Robb likes this.
  17. OCKlasse

OCKlasse Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 5, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon K
    I'm that poor bastard. I knew I was taking a gamble on the car I bought. No regrets! Getting it all sorted and should have it back and running before year end. Can't wait!

18. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I'm not saying the reasoning you use as an example doesn't occur, I'm just saying I don't understand it as it doesn't sound reasonable to me.

Often times I compare, in my mind the 355 to the 993 as they are both beautiful cars from the same era and highly appreciated.

So having owned a 993, and as much as I think it's a great car and do appreciate it, lets do a quick comparison.

F355, 375hp 5 valves per cylinder and 8700 or so redline with perfectly spaced gear ratios and overall low ratio with LSD on every one.

993 varioram 286hp, 2 valves per cylinder 6800 redline with short first gear, unevenly spaced rest of gears and many without LSD.

So, both beautiful, performance wise, F355 in good state of tune kills naturally aspirated 993, pretty close with 993 turbo.

Maintenance kills F355 value because of engine out..........

At this age, many 993 drivetrains are coming out to do valve jobs, reseal or whatever other maintenance. Even distributor timing belt :) Yes, will not have to be done as often but to have a fair comparison, 993 will require some heavier initial cost to sort just as a neglected F355 and then you are back in the regular swing of normal maintenance.

That being said, a 993 widebody C2S I would say is easily more money with twice the miles as a comparable F355.

To put the 993 on a comparable level of performance you would have to put probably 30k into an engine rebuild with individual throttle bodies, porting, pistons, cams/etc and another 10-15k into a trans re-gear that would end up functional but noisy.

Said in another way, what would a factory 993 GT3 sell for? Because that's basically what an F355 is.

Hell a 993 RS is closer to an F355 than a regular 993 but still 296hp and what, 300-500k?

Any F355 or 911 from the mid 90's is going to require some cash influx to keep in best shape.

From my perspective, even if the 355 is the most expensive it's absolutely worth it.

If there's one thing I remember with my time with the 993 as a daily it was, man this car is a great daily driver, it really is. Then I get home, take the 355 down the street and open up the throttles once warmed up.......this car is so much better it really is not even comparable. The sound, response, gearing, tactile feel of everything, it's just on another level.

Just my opinion, of a person that hugely regretted selling his first F355 and having to replace it with another one.

The car I have now I will keep as long as I live and feel very privileged to do so.

DaisyCutter, Robb, MAD828 and 2 others like this.
  19. Doramon0720

Doramon0720 Karting

Jan 17, 2015
    Rancho Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Steven
    I own both a 94 NSX 5-speed and a 99 355 F1 Berlinetta. While I love everything about my NSX, the current price appreciation, the almost "zero" in maintenance cost and the nimbleness while driving the back mountain road, when I get into my 355, the sound (even though I fitted both with Tubi) and the additional power just made me wish I had a 6-speed so I don't have to agonize over which car to take out for the weekend... I have owned the 355 for 5 years now and I am currently waiting on the list for Eugenio to do the major, and the total cost to maintain for the last 5 years was the yearly fluids and the replacement of 2 O2 sensors. Even if I add the up coming major to the formula, I am only looking at about 2.5K per year over a 6 years period. I don't think that is much more than keeping any 911 well maintained on the road.. I know unless I can find a well sorted F355 6-speed so I can switch my F1, I am keeping both car forever... :)

Robb likes this.
  20. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
  21. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Who ever bought it already has it listed on eBay for 55k pounds.

22. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    That seems rather heavy.

Cigarzman likes this.
  23. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed