F355 Market | Page 173 | FerrariChat

F355 Market

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, May 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    #4301 tres55, Jan 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    And for all of you upset about my criticisms of the car posted, besides the window trim...where am I wrong? So what's the deal here? You guys all friends of the seller?

I looked the photos over before it was even posted here.

Also someone above claims I'm saying it was a major accident. I am not...but it seems pretty clearly evident there was something that required that repaint.

2. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Yes, bar code is missing but perhaps what you are seeing is paint work due to repair of cracks at the seams of the buttresses with the rear quarters. Photos seem to highlight those areas. The paint thickness measurements also suggest that, not to mention it say as much in the text.

3. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    That's possible...would be a bit odd still to paint and blend the jambs? Would buttress seams crack on a low 20k mile car?

Overspray on the passenger rear of the engine compartment, as well as on the air box itself.

Air boxes in general look pretty worse for wear.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

MAD828 likes this.
  4. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    It’s all speculation. Yes a 20k mile car can easily have cracked buttress, I have seen cars with repainted buttresses crack soon after as-well. At the minimum it’s an average repaint to repair buttress at the worst it’s an accident damaged car with a poor paint job and a non detailed engine bay. Any 355 engine bay can look tired like that without some TLC, most people selling a car lather it in tire shine to make it look presentable.

The over spray on that car is poor, but could easily be the reason for the door jams to have been painted rather than Masked at the door jam. If I was in America looking for a car that wouldn’t meet my criteria for sure. But I’m sure someone will appreciate it. Looks to be slim pickings for good examples the world over now.

tres55 likes this.
  5. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Over all it's a pretty honest presentation. Certainly not trying to hide anything. A lot of the dirt would wipe off.

6. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    Yeah agreed. And at least this didn’t turn into the recent Shaquille O’Neal thread on the recent Bring A Trailer Auction site.

For those unfamiliar: the Seller of Shaq’s old 355 claimed no accidents, and it did show a clean Carfax. A friend of a friend posted that Shaq’s old 355 was at one point crashed and was totaled by the insurance company. Another guy jumped in and said yeah I remember that. I stored Shaq’s car (before it was his and rebuilt ).

The guy got berated. He then had his friend, the guy, the actual driver the totaled car chime, in and said he lost control driving it in a hurry, and ran it off a cliff. He gave a 3 paragraph descriptive novel with mynute details of the accident.

That still wasn’t good enough, so the Keyboard Commando Critics, made him post pictures, which he then did. That still wasn’t good enough, so they called him out to BAT.

BAT verified the story that this guy did in fact total the 355 and then posted his pics.

Well, in retrospect, had tres55 said “ hey I have no idea what this means, but it’s my belief and opinion that I see a missing bar code and overspray on this car”. Not convinced his statements would have been treated any differently. I guess anyone can offer an opinion. People aren’t that stupid to believe everything they read. It’s just an opinion.

Not even sure how I got pulled into this argument, I was simply stating, yeah no bar code and over spray is weird as f.

JSinNOLA, tres55 and carnutdallas like this.
  7. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I don't recall but are 96's still single stage paint? Looks more like polishing compound to me than overspray but hard to tell from the pics.

johnk... likes this.
  8. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    Yeah could be. Great question my 1997 was 2 stage. No color on my microfiber when polishing. Sure someone will help on that one.

9. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I did some searching and a few mentions of- Glasurit non metallic (what the car in question is) is single stage. Glasurit metallic and all PPG clear coated.

10. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    FYI,
    My ‘98 with 19k mileage has buttress cracks and otherwise is a mint condition car. All of these cars are eventually going to have Paint work due simply to the buttress cracking issue.

we should all get over it.....

11. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Moving on now...

What's a White on Red, F1 Berlinetta worth? All original with about 20k miles.

From what I understand there's only 3 of them in North America in white? One of them being a salvage/rebuild title.

Getting really hard to value these cars right now as the supply is disappearing in North America....lots of options across the globe though and fortunate enough to be in Canada where anything over 15 years is kosher.

carnutdallas likes this.
  12. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    That does not look like overspray to me. That is wet sanding residue and compound from buffing and polishing. When wet and not removed promptly or the area protected, it will get into the black textured components and be very hard to remove. Once engine gets hot, it is like concrete! Way to powdery looking and blotchy to be overspray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jackie and bill and tres55 like this.
  13. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Nothing wrong with paintwork as long as no accident damage to body/frame and paint process done meticulously. Everyone wants a perfect 355 for $80k :). I can't fathom the cost to make a 355 near perfect and sell for sub $100k ask.

MAD828 and Skippr1999 like this.
  14. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I can tell you.

After starting with a nice car at 75k, I’m now around 120k after making it as perfect as I can. No repaint or interior work. I’ve had the car about 5 years.

20k was a super major done two years ago that included all the F1 clutch components (not actuator). I did a thread here covering all the work.
    These are fun cars but aren’t inexpensive to run. Most of it was stuff that just needs attention after 25 years. After spending the money with the right mechanic, it’s great and won’t need that degree of refurbishment for another 20 years.

MAD828, Robb and ShineKen like this.
  15. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    I’m in a similar position. 6 years ownership, no paint or leather work done and similar spend when I convert it to AUD, fully sorted mechanically and concours level restore. You summed it up very well.

Skippr1999, ShineKen and Robb like this.
  16. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  17. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I helped two buddies in Australia in their search for 355 manual coupes years back. I was right there in the market trenches. Lowest priced one we found was $125k AUD on a yellow 95 Berlinetta at the time. Seller ended up stiffing my friend for his deposit and didn’t want to sell.

Saw a few others that were “ok” but in the $165k AUD range. Other buddy bought it. Red/black 95 GTB.

Buddy who got stiffed ended up finding a pretty good Red/tan 95 GTB. Ended up paying about $200k AUD at the time. I thought he was crazy, but he could NOT find the right 355 for 2 years!

Buddy with Red/Black car had a guy bug him to sell his car for $260k AUD. $100k profit on a 355!

Market has gone as high as $300k+ down under. I seen the market move from $125k to $300k+ with my own eyes. It’s insanity. FOMO, Bitcoin, Tulips... this could be it for the 355. Cash is trash. Buy rare desirable assets. Don’t miss out ;)

Skippr1999 likes this.
  18. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras

Your numbers are incorrect Ken it’s even more impressive than you make it out to be!

The ok 95 B red on black was purchased for 190k and sold for 310k with minimal dollars spent on it during the owners time with it.

It took me 5 years to get my F355 in desired condition and spec. It’s a very tough market. Buckets are able to be purchased but none of the good car come up and if they do they change hands privately for big money. I sold my Berlinetta for 310k AUD convert that to USD... it’s cooled off abit now but I was happy I got in when I did.

It’s a special car the F355 and people like me are only just coming of age to be able to think about securing one. I was 10 years old when the F355 came out and it left a big impression on me! Once my age bracket hits 40 years + with some cash spare they will want the poster car.

ShineKen likes this.
  19. Jackie and bill

Jackie and bill Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
  20. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    ShineKen and INTMD8 like this.
  21. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Sorry if a repost but this makes me happy i already own an f355

crinoid and 05011994 like this.
  22. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    If we’re talking about Roland’s car, I remember that car advertised in the $160’s. Unless you are adding in Australian gubment taxes after sale :). I was told he made about $100k+ profit. Didnt know he sold in the $300k+! Seemed like an average example, but in a spec someone REALLY wanted.

23. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  24. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Don't want to derail this thread, but isn't this car's ride height very high? Or was that factory spec and most everyone has lowered their cars? (the latter is the case with 993's, which came from the factory at SUV ride height)