F355 Market | Page 231 | FerrariChat

F355 Market

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, May 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I got the 200 number directly from him

tres55 likes this.
  2. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    She on Fchat (previous owner)? Would love to hear her story.

3. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Sold 1-2 months too early. Market got hot after my FOMO rant :p

carnutdallas, tres55 and ttforcefed like this.
  4. 32 Ford

32 Ford Karting

Jan 31, 2021
    vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mike McGowan
    Thanks Tre55. let me sort out a few things and we'll talk. My good friend in Italy sent me a bunch of F355 listings. He has imported a lot of car to Canada. It' about $10K taxes and shipping to Canada.

5. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    6% duty
    + logistics inland / ocean or air
    + broker
    + customs
    + inspections

6. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Is he near Rome by any chance?

7. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  8. 32 Ford

32 Ford Karting

Jan 31, 2021
    vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mike McGowan
    Tres55, No near Napoli, close to Salarno. A place called San Mauro de La Bruca. He here in Canada now. Goes back in August.
    Seller contacted me moved $5K on the price. Looks like we can negotiate. Time to spend the energy asking all the questions now. Wish me luck

Julia and ShineKen like this.
  9. 32 Ford

32 Ford Karting

Jan 31, 2021
    vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mike McGowan
    Sorry Tre55 I meant its about $10K. This is for taxes and shipping.

10. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Here a Ferrari Market item that will effect us all. Just got an email from Eurospares: Ferrari is raising the prices on all Ferrari parts, effective May 3, and, of course, it will be passed on to the buyers. So, maintenance cost will be raising. How will this effect the over all car market?

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    larger margin in prices cars taken care of vs. not. I know so many Ferrari owners that put off majors on belt cars and other maintenance because it was too expensive 20 years ago, now especially so! a great major on a 355 is now $10k.

12. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Damn.

13. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I'm guilty of putting off belt changes, not because of cost, but because they, IMO, aren't necessary on the excepted schedule. On the other and, when there is an issue with my cars, I fix it immediately. CV boots, motor mounts, spark plugs, plugs wires, headers, cats, etc, can all be serviced with the engine in, As well as clutch, brakes and other things.

But I will argue, a 355 major is only $10k if you defer fixing things like I listed along the way. I would say $10k for major indicates lots of ignored issues.

Homeboz, jimmym, MAD828 and 1 other person like this.
  14. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Group buy on 355 major kit anyone??

15. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    We need to instill the narrative major’s aren’t 3 years. More like 7 years, which is probably the avg time someone keeps a car before trading it for something else. Getting Tubi headers is also key :).

carnutdallas and MAD828 like this.
  16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I disagree, if you are doing things out of schedule, then yes there might be less things on the major. If you do everything on schedule, then you shouldn't have to do as much in-between. If you are DIY then keeping an eye and doing as you see it is good and fun. If you have a pro do it, I would rather have them do everything at once as less trips and down time.

So if you are doing everything and in USA (Europe/UK cheaper), then using a respected shop and doing everything on a major is $10k. There are of course cheaper shops that is possible to do as good of a job and then there are dealers who are more experienced with the newer cars that might even be more. I'm lucky to have Norwoods Auto Italia who has performed near 500 majors on 355's plus all of their other experience. They aren't the cheapest, but cheaper than many others and certainly more experienced.

FYI I agree belts aren't a straight up time line as the factory recommends. Rarely do they ever break, I think majors are more about the complete picture and showing future buyers your care. I will give more worth to a car the prior owner didn't spare any expenses and kept a factory schedule. Easy to tell the ones that skimped and that creates questions and risks.

17. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Eh. Doing a major every three years in the era of Hill tensioner bearings is throwing money away on behalf of an abstract principle ("keeping the factory schedule") that has been made archaic by improved technology.

jimmym, tres55 and steved033 like this.
  18. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    A major should include all belts, tensioner bearings, plugs if needed (miles not, time) fluids (oil, gearbox, AC recharge, brake fluid), air filters (miles, not time) oil filter. And frankly anyone who can't change the air filter and plugs themself should own a Ferrari. If they care to let the shop do it, OK. Now, anything else that needs to be done, other than maybe a water pump, is neglect. I've gone 8 years 11k miles since my car had a major. Ever issue that has come up has been addressed. The car hasn't seen a shop. It has been neglected less than any car that need a $10k major. I guess I could have waited until the car went in for a major and paid $5k for the major plus $7k for the Tubis and another $600 or $700 to install them and have a $13,6k major, but that not the cost of the major. That's the cost of neglect.

I see these rediculous claims for the cost of a major only to find out the guy had a brake job, new tires, clutch replace, new cats, bumpers painted...... I guess if you want to brag about how much spent on a major much you wait and defer things until you need a belt change. That's not how I play the game. I don't fix things that aren't broke and things that are broke get fixed immediately.

And then there are the guy's who drink the cool aid and when the tech says you need this or that they just say OK and do it. Guess how many time I've been told I should change the water pump on my 308? Doesn't matter. I've always said no and at 36 years old it's still pumping and not leaking. The 355, according to the records also has the original WP, never rebuilt of replace.

jimmym likes this.
  19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    no one ever said majors are 3 years! I'm coming from the 328 world, but isn't the 355 similar 7 years or 30k miles? that's why it is called the 30k major, there is a service in-between no belts.

JSinNOLA likes this.
  20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    $10k is the standard for required items major. mine is $17k with all those extra things.

you can always cut corners and I give complete credit to those DIY. however, when it comes to the market there will be recognition you did the major because you haven't done 500 of them before.

21. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    That was the narrative many years ago. I think the new narrative from Ferrari is 5 years. The Ferrarichat narrative is 7 years. If you ask John60k, it’s 10 years :)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.caranddriver.com/news/amp15356898/ferrari-f355-buyers-guide-what-you-need-to-know-about-values-problems-and-more/

“But one inevitability is having to replace the timing belt every three years, which can cost $7000 to $9000 because it requires that the engine come out. ”

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    That's just stupid, a C&D article saying 3 years? Ohh gawd, that has NEVER been the narrative on FerrariChat! We don't have our heads up our ass and know what we're talking about.

ShineKen and Skippr1999 like this.
  23. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    7 years.....

24. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Car and Driver no good? How about a Ferrari dealership?

https://www.ferrarisanfrancisco.com/blog/2013/december/24/ferrari-timing-belt-replacement.htm

“Ferrari factory guidelines for timing belt replacement with Ferrari Genuine Parts are as follows. Every 36 months or 30,000 miles, whichever occurs first, for the following models: Ferrari F348, Ferrari F355 Berlinetta and F355 Spider, Ferrari 360 Berlinetta and 360 Spider, Ferrari 456, Ferrari 550 Maranello, and Ferrari 575 Maranello. Every 60 months or 30,000 miles, whichever comes first, for Ferrari 612 and Ferrari 575 Maranello* (*after assembly number 43847).”

jimmym likes this.
  25. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #5775 johnk..., Apr 30, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    8 years now. Well, 8 and a spring start up, but I'm only 11k miles into the 15k miles allowed. Maybe I can go 12 or 13. :D

Oh God. I just read that blog from Ferraro of San Fran. 30k miles. I got plenty of time!

Considering how may Chevy V8s we blew up back in the 60's racing Corvettes I don't worry about it. Nothing that can be fixed.

ShineKen likes this.