F355 Market | Page 326 | FerrariChat

F355 Market

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, May 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I agree… Even if the paint was perfect, 136 is a great result for a car with 36,000 miles and a non-95.

Wsmatau likes this.
  2. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Mine is a driver. I wouldn't sell it for $200k USD.

I'm not even really sure what it would take. :D Three years searching for this spec, I don't want to go through that again.

INTMD8 and MAD828 like this.
  3. ConnecticutGent

Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2014
    @ttforcefed

Interesting thought regarding the '95 cars...I'm curious if there is consensus in the community regarding the premium that those cars should fetch in the marketplace?

4. MITengineer

MITengineer Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Montana
    I don't know about consensus, but personally think the Euro '94 is the one to have given the no-airbag wheel and Motronic 2.7.

But ...

Wsmatau, tres55, Targatime and 3 others like this.
  5. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I don't think we really reach a consensus on much here, year preference is no exception.

I prefer 2.7 to 5.2 though some may not care (or have to go with 5.2 if they want F1). Agreed (IMO) that a euro, non airbag 2.7 is the best.

Wsmatau likes this.
  6. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Aesthetics wise pre-airbag car with carbon seats is probably supreme.

This is anecdotal, but the overall fit and finish always seems to be better on the later model years especially 98/99. Not sure if there's any validity to that...just after looking at probably thousand+ ads over the years.

7. Wsmatau

Wsmatau Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2016
    That's fair, but at least you recognize your own attachment to the car. I've put so much effort into my Shelby, I wouldn't take market price for it either.

But that doesn't make it "worth" that much. ;)

I just get annoyed with FB groups and sellers that ID outliers and assume they'll get whatever pricing they set. Then again I can't tell you how many times people have overestimated the value of my car after watching a Barrett Jackson Auction.

8. Zamboniman308

Zamboniman308 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    I'll toss my likely unpopular opinion which is based purely on the perspective of I prefer my cars to be drivers with no excuses, I buy what I like to drive and enjoy.
    i.e. not looked at from a collectors perspective or some small detail that is perceived as more desirable.

1. 5.2 OBD2 all day long. Maintainability, ease of troubleshooting, availability of diagnostic equipment etc... basically easiest to live with and keep on the road. I'm sure this could be debated but personally I'm more comfortable in that generation of engine management. Some 355 parts are difficult and expensive to source. This will only get worse as time passes.

2. 95 superior engine.. meh.. in reality at this point they are all slow no matter what year, and I'm not going to be pushing a 25 year old car to the limits .. I'd go with the better condition car every time. Again parts are expensive and some/many can be difficult to source. You could also argue the later builds should be more mature and have more bugs shaken out of the whole platform over their earlier versions.

3. Gated.. yes it's the purest. More importantly should be the easier to keep on the road. It seems that equipment to calibrate the F1 system is hard to come by and getting worse.

4. Steering wheel.. Yes there are some ugly 90's airbag wheels. Lotus really comes to mind here. That said, I'm not going to make a decision on a vehicle purchase based on the steering wheel. They are all 355s ugly wheel or not 95 till the end.. Just like spiders are still 355s and potentially still a value play.

If you're looking at it from a market speculative or collector perspective you may have widely different priorities.

Challenge, Senshi458 and tres55 like this.
  9. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I think of it from a replacement value perspective though. The only other desirable Blue/Tan Berlinetta I know of for sale in the world is asking $215k USD and it has a little more miles than mine, and doesn't have carbon seats.

If my car was to go missing tomorrow, my insurance payout would have to be at least that to have a strong enough budget to replace it...and this particular example doesn't have the seats which IMO add $30k+ to a car.

10. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Mine certainly doesn't feel slow :)

Julia and Zamboniman308 like this.
  11. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    side note - insurance is funny, seems its not often what we think but don't find out until it is needed.

12. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    By modern standards they're "slow".

About as quick as a VW Golf R.

Doesn't really matter though...acceleration these days is pointless. We're in the realm of nonsensical performance for street use. You can't really use the power without getting in trouble or endangering others on the road.

That to me is why the 355 is special. It's the happy medium of sensation and useable performance on the street.

Julia, MAD828, GTO Joe and 1 other person like this.
  13. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Like this, 7 seconds in. "What a piece of crap, all I did was hit the gas pedal":eek:
    Can I tell you how much fun a 348 is just on neighborhood roads?

tres55 likes this.
  14. Zamboniman308

Zamboniman308 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    LOL at slow being a hot button.. my point being that a few horsepower difference between years is negligible in the grand scheme here and that they are all FUN!

tres55 likes this.
  15. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Maybe yours is, mine has a few mods but closer to a 981 GT4. (And are people driving new golf R's and saying oh hell this thing is so slow?)

Not saying it's the fastest thing out there, but can definitely feel the 45 rwhp difference between my 2.7 and previous 5.2.

To me that means more than "meh" but I can see how it wouldn't to others.

But absolutely agreed that many newer/higher power cars are not as enjoyable. Would rather use most of the car than have it constantly reeled in with traction control and stability control.

16. Senshi458

Senshi458 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 17, 2015
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Erik
    So the 2.7 car have 45 HP more than 5.2? I cant belive that, maybe best best best case 5 HP more. But its the same engine nothing changed except the air intakes + ECU.

So for car that is 20-27 years old 5 HP you cant really tell the difference, so the 5.2 car if you change the headers + exhaust to Tubi + new spark plugs + service then you will gain 10-20 HP?

I had option to buy 2.7 car in Norway for 30k EUR less what I paid for my car, would any day buy best spec car + condition not 2.7. Also for security I think airbag cars better than non airbag cars

tres55 likes this.
  17. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    My car in it's current state is 45rwhp more than my 5.2. It was a while ago but looking back at my dyno thread, with the same mods it was 35rwhp more. Many more differences between early 2.7 and 5.2 than just air intakes and ecu.

I tossed my airbags, not really wanting them as they approach 30 years old anyway.

From all the dyno sheets I've seen, the 2.7 cars are way more than 5hp higher than the 5.2's but believe whatever you like, makes no difference to me.

My experience is as follows, 2.7 vs 5.2 with high flow cats, no secondary cats and sport exhaust. Last is the same 2.7 with cat delete pipes instead of high flow cats.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Wsmatau likes this.
  18. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I was searching for a non-airbag steering wheel for so long. After being involved in an accident, I realized I would much rather have an ugly steering wheel that provides some safety in the event of an impact rather than a nice looking steering wheel to smash my face against. Lol

I've passed on the last 2 pre-airbag steering wheels I've come across/been offered. Nice to have, but I think I probably wouldn't run it. If my car came with it, I'd keep it as is.

19. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    This difference could have something to do with an unknown issue somewhere in the powertrain of the 5.2.

I have no doubt your car is probably a 1%'er in terms of F355 horsepower output...but it's not the norm or what one should expect. It's an outlier IMO.

I'll be installing tubi headers, high flow cats, secondary bypass, capristo muffler, gruppe M intake (maybe I'll do the conical mod to it as well). I'll do a before and after dyno. I'll be surprised if I gain 10-15rwhp. Lol. That's not what I'm here for though...to each their own. My daily driver sedan would walk circles around the F355 on any street or track.

20. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Idea- start a 5.2 vs 2.7 thread so this market one doesn't get clogged with all these posts regarding the major horse power gains that surely every mario andretti posting here feels by the seat of their pants lol

Wsmatau and Senshi458 like this.
  21. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Sure anything is possible, but there are a ton of 5.2 dyno runs in the same range (mid to high 290's) and many 2.7's at 320+. (or, a lot more than 5 crank horsepower on average)

There is already a 5.2 vs 2.7 differences thread from years ago. I don't feel differences by the seat of the pants, I measure them on the dyno and at the track. LOL

22. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Good expectations. So many people expect 30hp from intake, 50 from headers, 20 from cats, 25 from exhaust and then expect to havea 500 hp car. I read that out here frequently, on an NA car I think your about right. Revs and breathes better and smooths out, it can often be faster but feel slower. Hence butt dynos are worthless. :)

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. Senshi458

Senshi458 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 17, 2015
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Erik
    How many dyne sheets have you seen where they have checked 2.7 vs 5.2 cars? Maybe the condition of your 5.2 car was very bad and thats why the results for your old 5.2 are bad?

What facts do you have to back this up "Many more differences between early 2.7 and 5.2 than just air intakes and ecu"? I have checked but cant find much more than air intakes + ECU. Maybe 2.7 have F50 engine and 5.2 Mondial engine :D

Ferrari changed from 2.7 to 5.2 for emission compliance + 2.7 cars are more easy to tune than 5.2 cars.
    But this cars are not fast by modern supercar standards, its more about spec + condition. I dont think much people will care if its 2.7 or 5.2 car, I think more people will go for 5.2 in great condition + spec like FHP +++

tres55 likes this.
  24. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Your car is probably the lightest street F355 out there as well I'd imagine. That will play a big role in track times.

I don't disagree yours is a prime specimen! Just saying to the vast majority of prospective F355 owners, that is irrelevant since these cars are only "quick" at best regardless of what you do to dial them in...short of slapping a turbo on them. :)

25. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Senshi, I have already stated, what I've seen is the trend for 5.2 vs 2.7 dyno from pretty much every dyno and track result I've seen out there.

As for the differences, refer to the prior thread I mentioned. -

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/motronic-2-7-vs-5-2.570797/

It seems responding to 2.7 questions/values in this thread is not viewed in the same light as paint thickness readings and personal vehicle upgrades.