F355 Market | Page 374 | FerrariChat

F355 Market

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, May 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I think prices will retract some based on a global and US financial decline. The retraction will be on cars with miles. But the retraction will be small and then a huge price gain will occur in the next 10 years. It will be inflationary dollars, but supply, true rarity of the mark and a desire to have something that will never be built again - Dino phenomenon is real and the 355 is superior in every way. We will see a government crackdown on horsepower, speeds and allowed use. The haves and have nots divide will spread.

I am no fortune teller or global finacial expert, but I feel it in my bones. The muscle car industry is dying, but Ferrari is Ferrari and it is the most desirable brand ever created for the automotive industry. The boutique cars like Koenigsegg, Pagani, and Bugatti have other limitations and price tags that are not realistic for most of the public. But I was at the last Spring Concorso and spoke to multiple men and women bucket listing 430’s, 458’s and California’s. They lust after 355’s but realized the increased cost, rarity and a level of ownership that is different than a “modern Ferrari.”

Boys (and girls) the day is upon us where the 355 will never be a sub $150k car in most models - spiders will come up too, but they will float soon, maybe after the pull back and then it will be strong, strong 6 fig’s. The 355 is so much more than a 308, 328, 348 (sorry fella’s) and even a 512 or TR. It drives so well, makes glorious sounds, has great AC when all working and the quality is just better. We all know it. Others are realizing it and the available inventory is finite.

Yeah, I have my reasons for increased value and rarity. It is my favorite car, ever. I was a Porsche nut for decades, but never wanted anything more than a 355 - Testarossa a close second and then 512BBi, but I just don’t fit very well at 6’4”. I like 6 speeds and prefer screaming sounds! 355 has it in spades! Best to all and cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tres55, Skippr1999 and mclaudio like this.
  2. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Check BAT. Just last Feb a manual GTS sold for $127k. Of course it was yellow. When I bought my car, 2013, yellow, manual GTSs were in the $40-$60k range as were most 355s. I recall a yellow, manual GTS at Algar for around $60k back then and one in FL for $45k. Only car I saw in the $100k range was a Series Fiorano, $125k.

3. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Well said, and would only add that all the car companies are building emotionless questionable-looking sports cars. I drove a 991S for a couple of years and got rid of it. Could have been a Toyota, no way to tell.

4. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Well then your new quarters will be doubly spectacular! :)

carnutdallas and ShineKen like this.
  5. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I will only sort of disagree with you on one point. 355 spiders have done well recently on BAT too at $166k and $144k but they can't be run of the mill red/tan.

But 308 GTB in Euro trim is the most beautiful street car Ferrari has ever built. PERIOD.
    There's just not a bad angle for the car. And none of the modern, plastic sticky stuff, or OBD I, II.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

tres55, phrogs, Skippr1999 and 3 others like this.
  6. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    John, you are never wrong :) But… when the 355 came out, the 308 GTB took a step back, a very slight step.

355dreamer, mclaudio and ShineKen like this.
  7. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Yep. Would’ve been a horrible looking spider ;)

carnutdallas likes this.
  8. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Efficient Market Hypothesis states there is no such thing as a bubble. They are only identified in hindsight ;).

9. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Don't disagree. Don't care for the 308 GTS either. It was designed as a GTB. The 355 was designed to have the spider and GTS version from the start and all three look great no matter which you prefer.

As for stepping back. Agreed. But today that is what separates the 308 from the newer cars, even the 328. It retains the connection to cars like the Daytona with similar switch ware, tubular chassis, etc. No plastic bumpers, etc. It's a slow, old car and it feels like one. But it's a great car to drive. Very smooth, balanced, a true joy. It retains the connection to the older classic Ferraris which is missing from the 355.

The 355, IMO, kind of stands alone. The first true road car under Luca di Montezemolo and his best. It marks a new era for Ferrari and Ferrari at it's peak before bubble cars (360 and 430). Moving forward, it looked as if the 458 was a thow back to Dino and 308 styling , but it didn't work out that way. And as you said, today F cars lack emotion.

Both cars are markers in Ferrari history and deserve to be.

-K1-, MAD828, swoshsteffo and 2 others like this.
  10. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    John and Rob,

I agree with both of you from the standpoint of once owning this 1976 North American 308 GTB Fiberglass...

It was gorgeous, even with the NA bumpers! It provided me with ten years of problem-free ownership but I had to sell it ten years ago when it became a collector's car.

And so I replaced it with my F355 Challenge...

...also a gorgeous car!

I've been so fortunate to experience ownership of both. :)

Barry

26street, Philipnz, mclaudio and 3 others like this.
  11. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Barry, the Challenge life would be divine. Just can’t get to track and do that enough. I bet a 355 at speed with no street traffic is a blast. I would probably not stop smiling the whole time. Appreciate the shares :)

mclaudio and 308 GTB like this.
  12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    something like that. :)

13. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Right, Rob. Yes it is and I don't have to worry about speeding tickets either. :)

Slowing down from 165 MPH and downshifting to enter the infield road course on the Rolex 24 Hours Course at Daytona International Speedway

Philipnz, audi_328, mclaudio and 4 others like this.
  14. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Uh huh! :)

carnutdallas and rob lay like this.
  15. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    If I tracked any of my cars these days I'd probably just spend the day doing "barrys". :D

[​IMG]

phrogs, carnutdallas and 308 GTB like this.
  16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    :D

17. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Funny!

18. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky

That's part of tracking a car, John. You learn the danger of early apexing a turn (in this case Turn 2 at Lime Rock Park) and running out of track at track-out.

And you learn: "In a spin, both feet in..."

:)

19. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Learned a long time ago. "When in doubt......" watch from the hill be the esses. :D

308 GTB likes this.
  20. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Right, you can't spin up there...

:D

21. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    By the way, there's another hazard at Lime Rock Park between Turns 2 and 3 (The Lefthander). Here I am managing to stay on the track between those two turns :D ...

That's "Rattlesnake Mountain" in the background. It got its name several years ago when an open-wheel Skip Barber car ran over a rattlesnake and flipped it into the driver's cockpit.

I've only seen foxes and squirrels on that track when I've been there.

22. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    A few years ago at Lime Rock with PCA, we had a huge snapping turtle crossing left-to-right at the bottom of the uphill. Coming up on the corner, the flagger was waving for the drivers to keep right, next lap was gesturing to stay left, and that big snapper crossed the track without incident.

I've had a lot of fun laps there with my old 911.

ShineKen and 308 GTB like this.
  23. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    The snapper decided to leave White Hollow Brook to get a better view of your car. :)

It's time for you to return to the Secret Valley of Racing.

audi_328 likes this.
  24. Closingtime

Closingtime Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 1, 2020
  25. Kruegmeister

Kruegmeister Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 24, 2016
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Kruegmeister
    Maybe as a Start. But Car Enthusiasm grows.
    My 1964 Corvette was born before I was. I didn't grow up desiring one.
    Me getting into Cars is what got me there.
    Once you become a Car Nut you'll learn about Manuals & want one.
    As far as Electric, I have a Tesla P100D, my fastest to 60 (2.3 seconds)
    If everything becomes Electric I think you'll see more interest in the ICE cars for Enjoyment purposes / Collection Purposes... & that interest will not be a Malibu, Camry or Fusion.

carnutdallas and JSinNOLA like this.