F355 Market | Page 432 | FerrariChat

F355 Market

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, May 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    If it's anything like real estate buyers are paying cash. But even in FL real estate is slowing down. Houses on the market longer and longer. Fewer bids. No bidding wars.

ShineKen likes this.
  2. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Don't forget carbon seats, and most obvious, color. :rolleyes:

3. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I have to add that I also find it humorous that Euro cars are looked down upon. In the 308 world Euro cars sell at a premium.

audi_328, INTMD8 and Jackie and bill like this.
  4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    F40 world trades consistently with F355 world.

Jackie and bill likes this.
  5. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I don’t think it’s like the RE market. Car loans can still be had at 4% (vs. 7%) and less stringent guidelines to qualify.

Homes are still being built. 355’s are not. A home owner might need to sell if under relocation pressure. A car can be transported.

Homes also bought for income. Cars, not so much, especially 355’s. With homes you can see if the numbers make sense. A car is a toy.

6. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
  7. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    carnutdallas, OCKlasse and ChoonHound like this.
  8. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    All depends whos in the market looking at any given window of time I suppose.

9. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I guess the Merlin car needed a major, but it is a 1995 U.S. which I find much more desirable. Who knows.

10. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    the definition of a market

11. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Exactly, hence my "what is market price" comment above. I think it will go up and down but generally trending up slowly over time I suspect, just not "to the moon from here on out" type thing. All good for the 355 over time which deserves it. Still not clear why the Spider is not more desirable aside from supply, but it's not like there it a glut of any of these by any means.

12. Wsmatau

Wsmatau Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2016
  13. ChoonHound

ChoonHound Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2022
    Saint Michaels, MD
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    I think we forget that not everyone who might want a particular car (and can afford it) are available to bid on it at 2pm on a Tuesday.

So is BaT a “market”? Kinda, but also not really. There’s just too few people watching and too few translations. It’s an indicator. A data point.

BaT auctions used to be an event (like when I auctioned my Esprit in 2015) but now there are dozens closing every day.

Ferrarium and Closingtime like this.
  14. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    355 prices will always be choppy because of the tiny market size in both cars and buyers. Especially with the auction format a huge part of the hammer price comes down to whether one, two, or three guys were serious about buying car X in any given week.

Tarek307, Closingtime and ChoonHound like this.
  15. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Disagree.

If you really are in the market for a very certain spec, you aren’t apt to miss it because you wore a suit and went to work as opposed to lucking out that an auction finished right after you got a fresh bag of Cheetos in your boxer shorts… :cool:;)

Wsmatau likes this.
  16. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I agree that if you're in the position to bid 150, 200, 250+ on a car.... the ending time of the auction shouldn't be an influence.

It wouldn't for me, looking at it from what I think is a logical perspective. Would be happy to wake up at 3am to finish an auction if needed.

That being said, from an observational standpoint, it does seem to matter?

I've seen many mentions of -getting permission from the wife/bla/bla/bla- etc.

While I don't subscribe to that, it does seem to be a phenomenon that exists.

17. ChoonHound

ChoonHound Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2022
    Saint Michaels, MD
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    Disagree. There’s no pressure when bidding on BaT. No salesman, no owner, no “I flew all the way to phoenix to bid”, no urgency. It’s very easy to forget or say “maybe the next” unless you REALLY want it.

The plus side of that is I think BaT’s completion rate is high because winners REALLY want the car.

All my humble opinion of course.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I think everyone is forgetting these cars were YELLOW which has shown repeatedly to be the least desirable colour (given auction sale results, and how long yellow cars sit for sale) and they still managed to break into mid-100's USD...which is in my opinion a strong result for a yellow car.

If either of those cars were red they'd have been closer to 200. The Merlin car wouldn't have even made it to BaT before selling through their dealer.

squid likes this.
  19. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Spent a week in Key West. Boat races were great. Way more than 355 money to play in that arena! A lot of chatter been had while gone. Yowzers!

Anyone near Palmdale CA. Need help picking up a car I won. R Lee Ermey’s worn out 2000 W220 Benz S500. Funny story…..

Anywho….. Market is dead for now. Close this thread until Spring…..I have to get my car on the lawn somewhere, someday and then we can open the market thread back up. Cheers!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ferrarium likes this.
  20. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    It is really interesting that on many occasions in this thread the mention of a yellow 355 is thumbs down. If you have a rare yellow 996tt on BAT they bring the highest numbers and the guys on Renn List get all excited. They just had one this week go for about double what a similar red one would bring. Different tastes for different markets. One thing that is the same between makes is the desire for dark blues, Swaters on 355 and Lapis on 996tt.

audi_328 and carnutdallas like this.
  21. ChoonHound

ChoonHound Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2022
    Saint Michaels, MD
    Full Name:
    Lucas
  22. ChoonHound

ChoonHound Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2022
    Saint Michaels, MD
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    I predict someone will come along and take higher end cars away from BaT. There’s just too much volume and too many crappy dealers and too low standards. BaT needs to decide what it wants to be.

I can’t believe DuPont Registry hasn’t created auctions. It’s the perfect brand to do it. They could add boats, etc.

Maybe Hargerty will eat into BaT?

Anyway, I’m thinking an auction where cars are better curated and PROPERLY VETTED would do amazing things. You pay $5k to list plus a percentage of the final sale and someone from the auction will come to you, validate the car, do a PPI (with guarantee) photograph the car, etc.

Folks are going to get tired of buying expensive cars sight-unseen and getting burned.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

ShineKen and carnutdallas like this.
  23. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
  24. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Those wheels, ahhhhhh my eyes...

IvanRico, ChoonHound and JSinNOLA like this.
  25. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Horrible

JSinNOLA likes this.