F355 Market | Page 473 | FerrariChat

F355 Market

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, May 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    carnutdallas likes this.
  2. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Ferrarium likes this.
  3. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    carnutdallas likes this.
  4. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
  5. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    That car is also in NL. BaT mainly draws buyers in the US. Import and shipping costs probably need to be added to that price.

6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    ANd it even has a funny steering wheel. ;)

7. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Some prefer a 458 Speciale, some prefer a 488 Pista. Classic choice between a high performance NA engine vs a high performance Turbo engine. Some prefer the torque of Turbo. Some prefer the high rev and visceral experience of the NA motor. I’m not surprised these two cars are trading around the same price range. Perhaps even higher in some cases with the Speciale. But that’s my point, they should be trading roughly the same (eventually) considering production numbers are nearly identical for manual GTS/B vs 993 Turbo.

The performance numbers are close enough (in stock form), but it is my opinion the F355 does it in much more exciting fashion. Personally, I believe a RWD mid-engined car is the quintessential sports car, but perhaps that’s just me :).

carnutdallas and INTMD8 like this.
  8. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Wanting the market to act a certain way isn't GETTING the market to act that way.

The demand for a 993TT FAR exceeds that for the 355, it is WAY more iconic....and cherry picking one segment of the 355 market is silly.

9. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Far from silly when you consider they made 40,000 993’s vs 11,000 355’s. A TT is a desired variation of a 993. A manual F355 GTS or Berlinetta is a desired variation of a 355. That’s all there is to it.

I agree with you there is far more demand for the 993 Turbo and it is more iconic and current market pricing reflects that. My point is, it’s for the wrong reasons because the F355 is a better sports car under an equally iconic brand :). It won’t get you as much Instagram likes as 993 TT, but it’ll put a bigger smile on your face when you actually drive it.

If the F355 is trading below the 993 Turbo, it is undervalued, which implies in time, when information/knowledge permeates the enthusiast market, the market will realize it made a big mistake ranking the 993 Turbo significantly higher when they really should hold about equal. The market can be inefficient at any given time, but time and information eventually leads to some level of efficiency.

Buy undervalued assets before enough people realize they’re undervalued ;).

carnutdallas and INTMD8 like this.
  10. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Ken production numbers for the 993 Turbos are 6676 and add another 345 for the Turbo S according to a couple of sources. They did make a lot of 993’s though. They made more Turbo’s than they did of my Carrera S but my S is worth quite a bit less than the Turbo.

Shark01 and ShineKen like this.
  11. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Production numbers for manual F355 GTS & Berlinetta is 5877. 355’s also burn down outside of crashing, so who knows how many are left.

carnutdallas likes this.
  12. Wsmatau

Wsmatau Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2016
    Nice try on inflating the price, but the seller was paying all shipping costs outside of duty.

13. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Some people just can't live with the truth.....so when will the market "wake up" and go along with your viewpoint? The 993TT has been valued higher than the 355 at every time for the last 20 years when the initial depreciation wore off. Newsflash.....that isn't changing. The enthusiast market knows all about the two cars.

I've driven both multiple times, the 993TT is the better overall car, which isn't to say the 355 is not a good car.

Look at it this way, for guys that think like you do, you can take advantage of the low prices and buy several. Win-Win

14. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    The turbo is so much better than the regular cars they might as well be a different model......which they were. The TT was not just an option on the 911 order sheet.

408 hp vs 282 hp......quite a difference there.

jimmym likes this.
  15. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    993 is a very special car (I've owned one for almost 20 years) as is the 355. Special in different ways that are closely related to the two cultures that produced them. 993 is very German, 355 is very Italian. I'm well into triple digits on the odometer in my 993 and they're just incredibly good cars. Once you deal with the valve guides it's like owning a Camry. This is the real reason the valuations are so high for the 993.

jimmym likes this.
  16. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I agree. The Turbo was the top of the line and the hp and torque difference is significant.

17. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    …. last 20 years… ? Not accurate.

Told this story countless times. My buddy had both cars in 2011. A bianco manual F355 and a black 993 TT. Said they were both around $70-80k at the time. One car had to go. He sold the 993 TT for $80k because he felt the 355 was a better car. Still has it till this day. He’s both a Porsche guy and a Ferrari guy. Has about 5-10 of each. A few GT3RS’. He’s a locally known euro car mechanic. He’s actually the guy who got me into 355’s and ultimately convinced me to buy one over an F430. I listened and never looked back. We’re both 355 fanatics now. He’s never once regretted selling the 993 TT, even with current valuation. Those who know know. Same reason why enthusiasts who really know their cars buy a CS/Scud and not a 488.

Here’s footage of both his cars taken by a random to prove he owned both. I actually have another buddy who sold his Rx-7, got a 933 Turbo, put a ton of money into it, was not satisfied, sold it and bought another RX-7, but that’s a discussion for another day :).

The enthusiasts market is hardly informed about the 355. They might think they know, but they really don’t. When will they “wake-up?” They can start by logging off Instagram and logging on Ferrarichat :).

IvanRico and carnutdallas like this.
  18. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I’ll tell you what…

When news of the release of the 488 came out, Fchatters were going ecstatic. I was the LONE WOLF in arguing I didn’t really see a need for the 488 as the 458 Speciale will still be an overall better car for the same price or less. I laid out the reasons. I was accused of trolling. Fchatters weren’t having it. This is on record. I have Fchat receipts to prove it if need be.

Look at 458 Speciale vs 488 prices now. No one even looks at a 488 anymore. Heck, even a regular 458 is arguably more preferred.

Moral of story? Know your cars and stick to your guns ;).

carnutdallas likes this.
  19. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    LOL.....we ALL saw this coming, a track special versus a regular production car?

And no, a 355 was in the $50s in 2011 because I drove my first one that year and the guy wanted $58k

The sooner you get off the 355 should be more valuable than a similar condition 993TT kick, the more calm you will be.

I'm going to leave this topic with you, as it is getting tiring having to respond to these future value fantasies that will never come true.

20. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Back around 2013-2014 I was getting bored of my (then still stock) 993 and seriously considered buying a 355 or a 993TT (note my Fchat join date). I remember looking at a nice example of each...the GTB was $47k and the TT was like $53k. Passed on them both, ended up dumping a bunch of money into my 993 to make it more fun. Those mods are now worth a fraction of what I spent and the 355 and TT have tripled in value. I won't quit my day job.

IvanRico and ShineKen like this.
  21. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Respectful disagree…

22. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    What were the specs of the car?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1995-ferrari-f355-gts-2/

I had an opportunity to buy this car in 2012 (I have proof) For about $72-3k. The BAT seller of this car outbid me. I’m guessing he paid $75k (or more) because the seller agreed to my price, but went MIA. Unfortunately, it occurred during hurricane Sandy. I spoke about this car in detail when it showed up on BAT. 15k mi at the time. Also there were hardly any price differences between a GTS or Berlinetta back then.

How much do you think a white manual GTB was worth in 2011?? $50’s??

But let’s assume you are right. A 355 trades for $60k while a 993 trades for $80k. That’s a reasonable price difference and miles, specs will close the gap.

How did it go from a $20k difference to a $50-100k difference?

“Never come true” isn’t accurate. The closing of the gap has occurred on a few occasions. It just hasn’t occurred on a consistent basis.

*I never saw you in the 488 threads arguing for the Speciale. I’m sure it’s obvious now ;).

23. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    The right 355's are already in 993TT price parity region. BaT isn't the barometer of the total overall market. Lots of sales are happening before the cars make it to the public market.

Things have slowed down in the last few months (across the board more or less) but if you want a prime example of a desirable (but not common) 355 spec, they're 200-250 USD minimum. Most sellers aren't motivated to sell for reasons obvious to us on this forum. It's really hard to replace a nice spec 355.

993 TT's are plentiful. Just look at how many have sold on BaT...probably 10x as many as 355s sold? Why are all these people selling them all the time if they're such god like cars? Why are nice 355s hard to pry out of peoples hands? I think I've literally seen more 993 Turbo S'***** BaT than nice / rare spec 355s.

carnutdallas, MAD828 and Closingtime like this.
  24. outlaw_singer

outlaw_singer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 23, 2015
    Congrats. Here is mine which I bought directly from the son of Gianpiero Moretti about 2 or 3 years ago. Unfortunately, I don't have the right car for it... ‍♂️
    Image Unavailable, Please Login