F355 Paddle Shifting Logistics - Please Help. | FerrariChat

F355 Paddle Shifting Logistics - Please Help.

Discussion in '348/355' started by SoftwareDrone, Jan 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    A long time NSX owner (http://northwest.nsxca.org.mike.html) I now have F355 fever. However, before I purchase one, I need more information on the F1 transmission. I have sent many e-mails to many
    people and have gotten nowhere. I really need to hear from experienced F355 F1 owners to answer some logistics questions. Here are a few of the many scenarios to which I cannot get clear answers
    to.

Scenario #1.

You are sitting at a stoplight with your foot off of the brake and your foot off of the gas.
    What is the Status of the Transmission and Clutch (STC)?

You put your foot on the brake. STC?

While leaving your foot on the brake, you rev the engine to, say, 3500 RPM. What happens?

Scenario #2.

You are in 3rd gear, at 40 MPH. You must shift the car into neutral using both of the paddles simultaneously (don't ask why, it's purely hypothetical). Now you are rolling at 40 MPH with the engine at idle. How do you get the car back into 3rd gear without a mechanical overrev?

Scenario #3.

While at a stoplight with your foot on the brake only, you shift the car into neutral, rev the engine to 3500 RPM and shift into 1st without taking your foot off the brake. What happens?

Scenario #4.

Can you bump start the car with a dead battery? (tricky question!)

Scenario #5.

What are the logistics of starting and stopping the car on a steep hill?

Does anyone have clear answers to any of these questions based on actual experience?

Thanks!

:)
    Mike

2. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Scenario #1
    Stopped at the light at idle and foot off the brake and gas.

After a couple of seconds the transmission will shift into neutral and yu will have to put your foot on the brake and put the car back into first gear using the paddle.

If you keep your foot on the brake while stopped, it will not drop into neutral but will stay in gear.

Rev the engine to 3500 with your foot on the brake. First off, please do not do this. In this transmission it is very easy to fry the clutch and this is one of the easiest ways to do it. Power braking is not recommended.

Now someone else take the next one........................

3. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    Scenario #2.

You are in 3rd gear, at 40 MPH. You must shift the car into neutral using both of the paddles simultaneously (don't ask why, it's purely hypothetical). Now you are rolling at 40 MPH with the engine at idle. How do you get the car back into 3rd gear without a mechanical overrev?
    ---------------------------------------------------

The TCU, Trans control Unit will select the "smartest" gear to be in. If you are doing 40, it most likely will go up to 5th or 6th gear. Then you can right paddle down to where you would perfer to be. It will never go back to first unless you are stopped.

PS....I do this while driving all the time, like rolling up to a red light and then it changes........click the paddle and then downshift to where you want to be RPM wise.

Someone taking the next?

4. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    #2 It will return the car to whatever gear it was in. Assuming speed is constant. My dealer showed me this one.

#3 Don't do it. At the stoplight alway get the car into neutral.

#4 Never had a battery problem. So I don't know.

#5 It takes a bit of quick footwork with a foot on each pedal. Pretty much learn it while driving in Seattle traffic.

5. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Yes, it basically select the gear that will not allow overreving. My dealer did it in my car at er..well over 40MPH.

6. pino

pino Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    South Central PA
    You cannot bump start the car because you have no physical way of engaging or disengaging the clutch. It is all done electronically. No juice, no clutch or shifting action. If the car is stuck in gear with this scenario, Ferrari has made provision for disengaging the clutch by means of a manual pump that can be quick connected to the hydraulic system of the clutch. Big $$$ special service tool.

Starting off on a steep hill can be performed by slight left foot braking, positive use of the accelerator to avoid excess clutch slippage, or starting off in second gear instead of first. The 360 F1 system actually has a software program better designed for stop and go traffic and starting off on a hill.
    You may park the car in gear, but the car must be started in neutral.
    I don't do it because this is stressful to the system if there is any pressure on the gears such as the weight of the car on a hill. Plus, if for some reason you cannot select neutral, you cannot start the car.

Hope that helps.