F355 power loss while driving | FerrariChat

F355 power loss while driving

Discussion in '348/355' started by Christian.v, Aug 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Christian.v

Christian.v Rookie

Jul 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Christian Valdem
    Hi all,
    Anyone have any experience with power loss in the F355?

It has happened twice now, that while driving, the engine suddenly change sound to a darker sound, and a significant loss in power. If I turn the engine off and let it cool down, I can start it up to a normal behavior again in a matter of minutes.

It seems like some of the cylinders shut down for some reason.. spark plug? No engine light lights up when this happens..

Any idea what this could be caused by?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

- Christian

2. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney
    What year model 355?? Does the instrument cluster indeed have its warning globes still fitted?? Its possible that the engine is in fact shutting down one bank of cylinders to protect from a over heat situation. Lots of good info on here regards this.

3. Christian.v

Christian.v Rookie

Jul 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Christian Valdem
    its a 96 model. Both times it has happened in the morning after a 10 minute drive (no high rev)

4. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

Happened to me. It was bad cat ecu. Exact same symptoms. Disconnect the connector to cat ecu and see if it goes away.
    Mine was 2.7 so I could do it with slow down light. Not sure about 5.2 cars.

5. Carper

Carper Karting

Aug 13, 2017
    Suffolk, UK
    Does your SDL illuminate when you turn ignition on before you start the car ... ie, is the SDL bulb installed in the dashboard ?

emac and taz355 like this.
  6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You cannot disconnect a TCU in a 96 355. The causes can be:

1. One of your 2 banks is dropping off due to the ECU cutting off its fuel because it is receiving a too high cat temp signal from one of three TCUs.
    2. Ignition components are cutting out at the coil.

Do this:

1. Verify that you have a SDL bulb at engine start up. It should light up and then go away. If no, replace the bulb.
    2. If you do have a bulb, you should see the SDL come up when the car loses a bank due to overheating, if not, then it is not the TCU
    3. Drive around the neighborhood until it happens, pull into the driveway and see if you can identify which bank is misfiring. Use a pyrometer, or pull one plug at a time.
    4. See if there is a cat glowing red
    5. Pull the OBD2 code. You should get at least a pending code.

Tell us what you find.

Christian.v, taz355 and Qavion like this.
  7. Christian.v

Christian.v Rookie

Jul 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Christian Valdem
    Thanks for all the replies guys. You're the best!

I drove around all day yesterday, and it happened again. This time the "check engine 1-4" lit up.. guess this at least means that the bulb is working :)

The car had to cool down for 30 min to get all the cylinders up and running again. As far as i could see, none of the cats were glowing red. Obviously they were hot as hell, but not glowing..

I assume malfunctioning cat temp ecu on 1-4 may be the cause?

Does the car take any damage of driving in "limp mode"?

Christian

8. Christian.v

Christian.v Rookie

Jul 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Christian Valdem
    I see some have had success with cleaning det MAF, I will try that before changing the ecu..

9. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Something inconsistent here. A 96 doesn't have separate CELs for 1-4 and 5-8, and only has one SDL as well. Where are you located? Are you sure you have a 96? Perhaps it's a 95 registered as a 96. Anyway, I would not be driving the car until you get this sorted.

Read the manual. There is no "limp mode". It's a pull over and stop driving mode.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Christian.v and Qavion like this.
  10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    if CEL is on, what is the code?

11. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    So it's a CHECK ENGINE light (only), not a SLOW DOWN light? Wouldn't the Slow Down light come on or flash if there was a temperature problem?

12. Christian.v

Christian.v Rookie

Jul 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Christian Valdem
    Yes only the "check engine 1-4" I just assume it is a temperature problem since it helps to pull over and let it cool down.

13. Christian.v

Christian.v Rookie

Jul 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Christian Valdem
    I dont have a reader, but have booked time at the local ferrari repair shop :( to find out..

14. Christian.v

Christian.v Rookie

Jul 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Christian Valdem
    It may be a 95, the vin says "0" in production year som hard to tell.. it is a m2.7 with manual gearbox, no airbag. has 2x slow down sdl and 2x check engine sdl

I am located in Norway

15. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Yes, if it's a 2.7 it's a 95 but I understand in some European countries they list the model year as the year it was first registered. The important think is that it's a 2.7.

Please confirm. When you turn the key on, before you start the car, both check engine and slow down lights should be lit. They should go out when you start the car. If the slow down lights don't light up when the key to turned on he bulbs are either burnt out or have been removed. Check engine light doesn't come on for cat high temperature, cat TCU problems or burnt slow down bulb. At least according to the workshop manual. Check engine coming on would indicate an additional problem.

16. Christian.v

Christian.v Rookie

Jul 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Christian Valdem
    Yes, when I turn the key, all 4 lights up, and then turns off after a few seconds of running.

I have read that the model has also had some problems with the plugs, så I will check that too..

17. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You can read your own code on a 1995 2.7 motronic. Do a search and it will tell you how. That will tell us plenty.

18. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    My understanding is that only USA have the button connected to the ECU needed to read codes. Not sure the Euro harnesses even have the connected for the button.

19. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Can an OBD2 scanner be used on an OBD1 port? (and vice-versa). I see there are cheap adaptors on eBay for OBD1 to OBD2 plugs.

20. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    As far as I know, no. OBD 1 did not have a standard. OBD 1 codes and ports differed from make to make. For cars with connectors the connectors weren't standard either, 7 pin, 9 pin, 12 pin, etc and each manufacture had its own code reader. Many OBD 1 cars didn't even have an OBD 1 port. Shops didn't want to have to buy readers from each manufacture thus codes were read by pushing buttons or several controls in order to get a dash light to flash the code. For example, on USA spec E30 and early E36 BMWs you turned on the ignition and depressed the gas pedal 5 time and then the CEL would flash the codes.

Qavion likes this.
  21. dwwis

dwwis Karting

Oct 19, 2015
    South Milwaukee Wi.
    Full Name:
    Dennis Wesley
    clean your MAF sensors
    worked for me

22. Christian.v

Christian.v Rookie

Jul 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Christian Valdem
    Thanks, cleaned them yesterday, will test today if it makes any difference. Will also switch left and right cat ecu to see if they are making trouble. I doubt it is the cat ecu though.. they reset when you turn the engine off, and therefore it when turning it back on immediately should make both blocks run again.. in my case it doesn't.. I have to wait for something to cool down first.. Hopefully a dirty maf sensor? Crossing my fingers

christian

23. yvesolution

yvesolution Karting

Apr 26, 2010
    Cabo Verde
    Christian, did you test the car? Was it it the MAF sensors?

24. Christian.v

Christian.v Rookie

Jul 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Christian Valdem
    I have tested it several times now. cleaning the MAF sensors did the job! :):)

Qavion likes this.