F355 Prices - The only way is up? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

F355 Prices - The only way is up?

Discussion in '348/355' started by soulkid, Feb 9, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rothbauer_Racing

Rothbauer_Racing Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    If only there was a way to gauge the age of who is buying the 308 & 328's? I would have to say it would be someone in his early 50 or mid 50? Why, because in 1980 when Tom Selleck was driving around in a Ferrari 308 on the TV hit show Magnum P.I. what do you think the target age was? If it was 20 thru 25 then by now his career should be stable, marriage with a home and kids all behind him. He's finally got extra money and time so, why not purchase the car of his dreams. Remember he's buying the image of Ferrari (his boyhood dream) and cares nothing about performance otherwise he would purchase the F355 today. And it will be this person that will pay a premium price for something that is ready to run with no issues as he’s not looking to spend time in the garage fixing a broken Ferrari, that’s not part of his dream. Matter of fact I don’t think that is anyone’s Ferrari dream!

Now let’s jump forward to the mid to late 80's when Miami Vise came out (my era). Were talking Testarossa and technically speaking one should be able to afford one if you really wanted that car today. I admired the car from the movie but, never thought of actually owning one or desired future ownership. I do remember in the early 80's while watching Magnum P.I. and I think I can actually say I sure would like to have one when I grow up... However I kept up with all the European cars and saw the birth of the F40 when I graduated from high school which changed everything!

I do agree with your views on the styling side. It was a major break thru when the F355 came out. Nothing else like it on the Planet!

Duty now for the Future! - DEVO

2. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Hi. I don't think I quite said $20,000, but I will be glad to make a copy of your post and re-post it in oh, about 2019 or 2020, when many 355s are trading in the $20s.

3. Strictly Ferrari

Strictly Ferrari Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2004
    3045 Davis Blvd.
    Full Name:
    Naples Classic Car
    Like I said I will put up the $ for the contract and I am not joking trust me !

4. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Just listed my 355 on Ferrari Ads - The early 95 - the "one to have"

5. Rob'Z

Rob'Z Formula 3

Mar 29, 2008
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Robert
    If there was a fool proof way to guarantee that average F355s will sell in the $20s in 2019 I'd sell mine today to own two then. A Grigio Titanio GTB and a Rosso Corsa GTS please.

Rob

6. dantm

dantm Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    YYZ, BOS, SFO
    Full Name:
    Dan B.
  7. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
  8. Strictly Ferrari

BANNED

Nov 29, 2004
    3045 Davis Blvd.
    Full Name:
    Naples Classic Car
    Looks like a real nice 355 B and priced very well with service and Low Miles only 7k @ 47,000. I think 3k below the real Market price.

Someone got a Good deal and room to fix any of the little items

Good luck to new owner

9. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    No doubt, a good price, but that car looks like it has way more than 7k miles on it. Remember, it's not hard to unplug the odometer in these things.

10. Strictly Ferrari

BANNED

Nov 29, 2004
    3045 Davis Blvd.
    Full Name:
    Naples Classic Car
    What do think about the other 95 B with 7k on it

what do the pic say on that one

ebay Item number: 170610727684

11. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    Isn't it history that will best inform us what cars are going to be worth into the future?

Looking to the past I would have thought there were a number of issues that might tell us what will happen in the future re car values.

1. Rarity: The fewer the build number the more likely values will rise in the future (following an initial depreciation.....with very few exceptions)
    2. Competition History (or association): Cars built for competition or homologation purposes
    3. Providence: History of ownership/usage (and owners), service history, mileage.

If a car doesn't have at least 2 of the 3 boxes ticked above then it isn't likely that prices will increase too dramatically or quickly.

The 355? Well as has been mentioned in some othe posts the only real pointer to future value will be providence (there are still quite a lot of them around). An excellent low mileage example with good history (and maybe a famous owner) will sell for a premium, but $100k in 5 years time....I really don't think so.

12. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    That car belongs to someone here. A gentleman and with an incredible car. $58K for a true very low miles 95B is worth it. If I didn't already have too many cars, that would be mine in a heart beat.

13. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    That car has way way more than the 7K advertised. Plus anyone with that low a milage would never leave a wheel on the car with that kind of rash. The car is well worn and the rear end has been resprayed. A good buy on these cars comes from friends or friends of your mechanic that know the car, not some stealership.

14. Strictly Ferrari

BANNED

Nov 29, 2004
    3045 Davis Blvd.
    Full Name:
    Naples Classic Car

So what does that that mean, I have talked with him face to face over coffee on this car

I have seen ALL the pictures on this car maybe you should and not just whats on eBay

And add up what $ it takes to correct plus the $58,000. That you would pay in a hart beat

also as listed on eBay the last major service was done in 2007

So let me know how how much you would pay for a car that just had a M S and no issue

With Interior & exterior

15. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You assumed that I just saw what is on ebay. That would be a wrong assumption. I can't tell you what you should pay for the car. Only you know that.

16. sdbmwfxr

sdbmwfxr Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    San Diego
    I think some are losing sight of things. There's a big difference between what a car is worth to an individual vs. what it will command on the market. The '95 for sale is gorgeous, but, like it or not, it is subject only to what the market will pay and what the seller will accept. If they don't find common ground, the car does not get sold.

In my search I have found two types of cars, those that are just for sale, and those that are for sale to be sold. Due to age and cost of repair, the f355, among other cars, fall into a niche market. That said, most cars will have to fit into a certain price range in order to actually sell, or they must have a unique quality about them that will command extra capital to an individual buyer.

I've got a 1995 BMW 525it with a manual transmission and an M3 engine that is completely sorted and a really great car. I wouldn't sell it for under 15k, if I had to sell it I'd be lucky to get half that. It's just the way it goes.

17. Strictly Ferrari

BANNED

Nov 29, 2004
    3045 Davis Blvd.
    Full Name:
    Naples Classic Car

18. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido

19. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005

So true, I know quite a few recent sales between friends.

20. Strictly Ferrari

BANNED

Nov 29, 2004
    3045 Davis Blvd.
    Full Name:
    Naples Classic Car

21. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    That is my 355 you are talking about. I am friends with the original owner who has a nice car collection of about 8 cars (including a few modern F Cars, 959S, R8, etc). He drove the car to his office (he's a doc) and back to his house 15 miles round trip - he also didn't like to be seen in it due to the color and it was so "flashy" - I heard from his best freind. The well know mechanic John Tirell IFS has serviced the car (said no reason to think it's not a 7K mile car) - and complimendted me on finding such a jem (he also has a 355B). When he did drive the car it sat in the Sun during the day whjile he was working - The Sultans cars have all these issues (recent Sheehan article) also and they are 0 mile cars. The first owner of the car is very honest so when I bought the car at 6K miles last year I got a PPI and it never even crossed my mind - I did ask the Mechanic at FNE and they said we have serviced the car and they always felt the car was one of the nicest they have seen.

I was selling it due to my recent purchase of a 9K mile CS, however I think I'm going to keep both. After driving the CS I think they will compliment each other perfectly - and I will be selling the 996 TT.

22. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #122 ASK328, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011

23. Strictly Ferrari

BANNED

Nov 29, 2004
    3045 Davis Blvd.
    Full Name:
    Naples Classic Car
    Andrew,

You know I have many cars with miles like that and more and I have do not have the ware that yours show on the seat and the dash and I am in SUNNY South FLA.
    I know you just got the car in May of 2010 and got it that way who know what the first owner did before you.
    Do you have records showing inspections or service every 2 - 3 year would clear any up any questions
    All you showed me was the last MS in 2007

Any way good luck with the sale

Al

I was post 118 Gerry D
    That ask that question
    "Do you really believe that this car only has 7k?"

24. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #124 ASK328, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
    Al,

It does show that with records - inspecting the car in person EVERY person feels the miles are accurate - I always take things personally with the cars, I apologize (and I shouldn't take it personally). I just have heard of so many stories from people that you can put a car in HOT sun for a day and it cooks the interior. Forget the fact if the girls didn't glue the leather down that well one day, all leather dashes on Ferrari's have not been put together the same way. So many of us would never park the Ferrari in the sun all day, others especially in 95 just didn't even think about it. The first owner was one of them, just didn't even think about that.

All the best,

Andrew

25. Strictly Ferrari

BANNED

Nov 29, 2004
    3045 Davis Blvd.
    Full Name:
    Naples Classic Car
    Ok ! That is all possible and with a good look at everything first hand it may be what you say it is We have talked about this car since we me in Dec.
    Well it is time to take a look in person and go over all the records and and if it is the real thing we will do a Deal

Al