F355 Prospect - Dash Wear - Opinion Needed | FerrariChat

F355 Prospect - Dash Wear - Opinion Needed

Discussion in '348/355' started by Dono, Apr 1, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dono

Dono Karting

Feb 27, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Don Neumann
    #1 Dono, Apr 1, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This car is a prospect on my shopping list. The outside looks pretty decent and most of the interior looks good too, except these sections of the dash. Should I pass on this candidate or are these defects repairable for a "reasonable" price.

My gut reaction is to dismiss the car but the rest of the ride is in decent shape. I am not looking for a huge hassle so I need opinions.

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Every one I've looked at either had some form of dash rash or bubbling on the center console. Additionally I've found some chipping to the paint on the F1 paddles, dirt finds it way into the control buttons. I wouldn't discount the car because of that alone. Deduct a grand, I would. (yoda)

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    That kind of work can vary a great deal from area to area. Find out how much to get repaired by the best guy around and deduct it from offer.

BTW When you get one, buy a windshield reflective cover and use it ALWAYS.

4. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    i wouldn't dismiss a car because of cosmetics, i woul discount it though.

You should be able to find a quote from somebody in your area or from the dealer to use as a gauge. 1k is a good place to start.

5. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    To me, this is evidence of carelessness and neglect. Leather shouldn't look like that if it is properly conditioned on a regular basis. It would make me wonder what else has been neglected.

Keep looking!

6. russell

russell Karting

Mar 2, 2005
    sacramento
    Full Name:
    russell
    welcome to JUST about every 355 out. gooey vents,dash shrinkage,bublled a/c controls and Bad pumps on spider tops. Buy a new dash- It is easy to repalce I did it. ask for 1k off to purchase it. YOU never really know. you may get a car with a good dash and it could have other hidden problems.. Its all a crap shoot..

7. tubeguy

tubeguy Formula 3

May 21, 2003
    Upland California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Deal

How many miles are supposed to be on it?

8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I do not know why Ferrari went back to leather for a dash. They never should have done it. The car has plenty of leather in it, it doesn't HAVE to be there also. Too hot there and a big problem if you forget your monthly or whatever conditioning treatment. Just recover it in vinyl like it should be and forget about it.

9. LeoExotic

LeoExotic Karting

Nov 29, 2003
    Manalapan, NJ
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    To me, this is evidence of carelessness and neglect. Leather shouldn't look like that if it is properly conditioned on a regular basis. It would make me wonder what else has been neglected.

How much does it cost to get the dash recovered?

Also I have had those gooey window and radio buttons on my wifes volvo, I used some Castrol superclean and the goo came right off. try it.

-Leo