F355 roof wont open correctly...help! | FerrariChat

F355 roof wont open correctly...help!

Discussion in '348/355' started by 355spiderguy, Sep 22, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 355spiderguy

355spiderguy Rookie

Jul 4, 2007
    scotland
    Full Name:
    iain
    hi all.

my latest 355 spider has just had a new canvas roof fitted prior to my purchase.
    the roof mechanism now has a couple of issues...

firstly, the roof frame when closing seems to want to come down on top of the seats even though the seats have went through the full moving forward cycle; they are definately as far forward as they should be....the only way for the cycle to continue is to use the manual lever 'tilt' the back of both seats forward...

secondly, the roof only then retracts down to the point where the mechanism meets the 'striking plates' that are located about 10" up from the floor base either side behind the seats...the roof then stops...it seems as though the passenger side is not 'sliding down' the strike plate...

the roof shall go through the close procedure, but is ever so out of align with the locating the locating 'keeper' above the passenger side sun visor.

any advice on both issues? are they related?

thanks for any help in advance.

*note.. i previously posted this in the thread in the technical section, but felt more 355 owners would notice and help here.

2. cbucgo

cbucgo Rookie

Apr 22, 2011
    fredericksburg, va
    Full Name:
    jason adams
    I'm having the exact same problem.....as soon as my top hits the striker plates, it stops. Curious to see if anyone has some insight

3. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    I had the same issue, I think.

When the roof beging its descent, it hits the seat right?

If so, it means that you need to manually punch the underpart of the roof just as it's folding down in order for the fold to happen properly.

It seems like 2 crossbars get intertwined and make the roof come down incorrectly.

It's very hard to explain without showing it live but basically, it needs a jiggle as it's coming down.

4. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    LOL Yeah thats it

5. TomPDX

TomPDX Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Are you moving the center bar (the one directly over your head) rearward before you activate the switch? Step one: unlatch roof; Two, move the front bar back back until beep sounds; Three: move center bar back. You have to do this because the elastic that used to do this for you no longer functions.

6. GeorgeG

GeorgeG Karting

Oct 3, 2012
    Dublin, ohio
    Full Name:
    George Gianakopoulos
    To close roof, after seats go forward, hold actuator for about a three count then stop. Look to your right at the metal frame and you will see what looks just like a wrench head, fork like shape. This is the key and it must seat properly or the teeth won't seat in the wind shield frame when the top closes.

You will manually move the top forward and you will see the wrench head/fork nicely move back and engage allowing the top to close. Tough to explain here. Do you want me to call you and walk through it?

George