F355 speakers | FerrariChat

F355 speakers

Discussion in '348/355' started by F355Bob, Sep 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

My stock radio speakers are shot. Is there an aftermarket one that fits without any modifications?

2. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    If it's the surrounds (foam around the edge of the cones) they can be easily fixed. If you want to replace them, take one out and go to any Auto Sound store and they will have many to choose from that will drop in.

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Just be aware that even though speakers may have the same diameter, there may be other factors to consider. When I bought some new speakers for my Lotus, the new speakers were deeper (larger magnets) and there was limited space behind the speaker. Also, the new speaker grills were more reflective (something to consider if your speakers are dashboard mounted). I tried to fit my old grills to the new speakers, but the mounting clips were different.

4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Johnk was kind enough to fix my OEM speakers. I wanted to maintain originality and I don't turn the radio on in my cars anyway :D

5. KingSteve

KingSteve Karting

Jan 16, 2015
    Maranello
    #5 KingSteve, Sep 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I need to do a proper write up (as with all the "tweaks" if made so far, but these drop right in without any mods, (almost!!) and are a very nice modern upgrade thats available everywhere.(of course much better with an amp!) But this allows me to keep the old "Ferrari" stickered 90s sound quality unobtainum originals nicely tucked away in a safe place, until the time comes! ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

Do you have a part # for the Focal speakers. I can't make out the lettering around the speaker. Thanks

7. judd10

judd10 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 30, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    #7 judd10, Sep 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. fdekeu

fdekeu Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2008
    Belzium
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Thanks
    Good info
    Are the 348 speakers also 2-way

9. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    They are 2 way component speakers, with a 6.5" mid base driver in each door and a high end driver behind the grill next to each side air register.

As noted above, there is a steel drip guard behind the 6.5" locations so those drivers have to be quite shallow unless you're willing to cut out the drip guards or use spacers and custom lower door panels.

10. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I have Focal 165 KRXS that I still need to get around to installing in my 355. They're shallow mounts and should fit without any modifications.

They are NLA though I believe so you will have to hunt a set down. I found some NOS on eBay.

11. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #11 TrojanFan, Sep 16, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    Anyone have and new, currently available door speakers to add to the list. I'm looking to upgrade but don't want to make any mods to the car. What's currently on the market that fits and sounds decent?

Also on the Focal 165 VRS, these are listed as 6-3/4". Will they fit without modification to the door?

12. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I put a pair of Infinity KAPPA-62IX in one of my other cars I restored, nothing else in there other than a head unit and I was extremely impressed with the sound.
    I have been curious about replacing the 355 ones as well, not that I use the radio lot, but it would be an easy upgrade.

13. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Anyone tried the Rockford-Fosgate T2652-2 in their 355? I had good luck with their speakers improving the sound in my 328. Decent sound at a reasonable price. I have a spider so not much is going to sound great with the top down anyway. Jus looking for some reasonable improvement from the OEM.

The website claims that it fits the 355 "Modena" so they have some wrong information there. I'm concerned about the depth which they have listed as $2.7". Anyone know if that would fit without modifications?

14. fboutlaw

fboutlaw Karting

Dec 3, 2014
    Woodside, CA
    Scanspeak Discovery 18W/4434G-00 fits with a 1/4" MDP spacer (available on amazon). There's not much depth in the speaker hole for quality speakers and a lot won't fit without door modification. Much cheaper and much flatter response than most car audio speakers. I've coupled that with a tweeter in the vents, which has a lot of space. Tweeters: ScanSpeak Illuminator D3004/6040-00 Beryllium Dome. If you search for the model numbers, you can find them. Crossover or DSP would be up to you.

GSF355 likes this.
  15. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Honolulu - Seattle - Okinawa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The door speakers have no depth at all. I redid my whole system. I found shallow mount coaxils at 5.25" that fit in the doors. Not sure what brand off the top of my head but spent a little extra for some quality one. I also installed tweeters in the wide dash vents, behind the vents. I could not tell if this was where they were originally bet there was some mounting hardware back there from tweeters being there before. I also got a newer deck, not expense, that had cross over ability build in to trim out the high and lows for appropriate speakers.

The result was some decent crisp sound but zero mid range or bass. The acoustics of the door speakers placement is laughable. Maybe the worst of any car I have installed a stereo on.

I knew then I had to take things a step further. I custom designed and built a sub box for the front storage area. I wanted it to take up as little space as possible so I went with JL 6w3's. I did two of them in the exact box dimensions advised on the spec sheet, created a false floor and added a JL 250 mono sub amp and bridged to two subs to drop the ohms to 2.

The result is glorious. It blew away my expectations and totally balanced the whole sound out. I still have 75% of my front storage as well.

Verdict - The 355 will have have a crap sound system unless a sub(s) is added. No way around it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. gbr007

gbr007 Rookie

Sep 6, 2021
    Full Name:
    Gregory RAHIM
    Johnk do you have a recommendation for anyone in the Houston Texas area that can still perform this service?