F355 Spider Top Replacement With Pictures | FerrariChat

F355 Spider Top Replacement With Pictures

Discussion in '348/355' started by 97 Spider, Mar 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #1 97 Spider, Mar 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well I finally got into this project today and got the old top removed. It was totally rotten and just shred in your hands.

It looks like I can only do a few pictures at a time so I will do several posts with explanations of the pictures and process.

FYI I have never tried to replace a convertible top before. I have stretched many headliners and done interior work in old muscle cars but nothing like this so it's a learning experience for me. Enjoy.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. darrenliu

darrenliu Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2008
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Darren Liu
    looking forward to this post.

3. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #3 97 Spider, Mar 17, 2014
    490times likes this.
  4. Carbuilder

Carbuilder Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2012
    Bolton, ON
    Full Name:
    Rick
    This is excellent!

My car had a new top (the fabric) when I bought it, but the install wasn't quite finished. It's a bit loose in areas. I'm sorting out the hydraulic system now, and was then going to take it somewhere to finish things up. Maybe I'll be able to sort it out myself after seeing how you do it.

Rick

5. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #5 97 Spider, Mar 17, 2014
    I just figured out how to upload all the photos in one post but I'll stick with the way I started so I can explain the pictures better.

There are two cables on each side that run through the top fabric. They are riveted on one end and have springs on the other. I didn't realize the pictures were so blurry, I'll get better ones on the way back together. One runs down the back side of the window edge and is attached with a screw behind the weather strip. The second runs above the window and hooks on to the front metal piece. Unhook and slide them out of the top.

490times likes this.
  6. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #6 97 Spider, Mar 17, 2014
    490times likes this.
  7. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #7 97 Spider, Mar 17, 2014
    The rear area:

You will need to remove all 6 of the snaps that hold the cover on and their studs. If you have unhooked the two cables and actioned the top towards the open position you will have enough slack to pull straight down at the bottom of the side window area and pull the top out of the metal track. It is just a stiff edge of fabric tucked in there. You can pull back and up on the very corner pieces and disengage the metal corner piece from under the metal track. This piece is glued into the top corner. You can pull the inside of the triangle part out too and you will just have the center below the back window left attached to the car.

490times likes this.
  8. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #8 97 Spider, Mar 17, 2014
    For the center attachment you will need to remove some of the interior pieces so you can get the strip right under the back window pulled forward. This piece has edges under some interior pieces on the sides that are under the top mechanism so you would have to unbolt the mechanism to get them out. I DID NOT UNBOLT THE MECHANISM. You can get the middle piece to slide far enough ahead to get at the nuts. It comes forward easier on the drivers side the passenger side because of the way the side pieces are made.

Anyway, remove all the nuts. These are on studs that are part of a metal strip that is wrapped by and glued to the top. The tips of his strip are hooked under the metal of the car so when you get it unbolted you need to push it toward the back of the car to disengage the threaded parts then lift up and pull towards you to get it out from under the track on the car.

490times likes this.
  9. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #9 97 Spider, Mar 17, 2014
    You should now be topless. Remove the metal corners and the strip from the canvas you will need them for the new top. Try not to bend the strip while trying to unwrap to glued fabric. (easier said then done).

This is where I left it today. All I could find in my shop was spray adhesive and I'd much rather have some brush on instead so I don't make a mess of things. I'll try to go pick some up in the morning and continue on wit the install. If there is any pictures of things you would like to see that I missed just let me know.

490times likes this.
  10. ssnowball

ssnowball Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2013
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Scot
    Hi there, greatly appreciate your overview. One of my screw taps is stripped (just behind driver side / left hand side of car just below back window). I am interested in a close up photo of what the screw tap mounts to body. Fairly small issue, but it bugs the crud out of me that the damn thing is stripped.

Thank you kindly.

11. Dino Chang

Dino Chang Guest

Dec 29, 2012
    What company did you buy your roof from? I have fitted two types of hoods to a few 355s. Not all tops are equil. One I did had to be returned because the rear was a little shot and had a gap running along the rear., That top was from Germany of all places.
    Don't forget to put masking tape bellow the metal runners when sliding in the new top sliders, this area can scratch. I found a brush on adhesive was more controllable.
    I did respond a few months ago when you asked for tips and advice, you did not bother responding ;( Good luck with your fitment never the less:)

12. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Wow. Great write up.

Carry on!

13. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #13 97 Spider, Mar 17, 2014
    The one I think you're talking about I took a pic of from both sides. It is a screw retaining clip so you could probably get the trim pulled back and replace it easy.

14. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I got the top from Quality Tops and Interiors on EBAY. It says HAARTZ OEM German Cloth/canvas. I guess we'll see how it fits.

When you gave the tips to my question in December I really didn't have a good response other then Thank you sense I wasn't really sure what you were talking about until today. I just read it again and I understand it much better now. I never did see your second post until when I just looked at it. I must have left town for work then I'm working out of town for two weeks at a time and do not get much time for personal web surfing. I must have never got back to it.

Thanks for the tips. The tape is a great idea. I was just really careful when taking it all apart I wasn't real sure how it was coming apart as I went. Putting some tape over the paint would definitely be the smart way to do it. I'll get some on before I go back together before I put a gouge in my paint and regret not taking a minute to do it.

15. ssnowball

ssnowball Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2013
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Scot
    Thank you Brian, greatly appreciate your help!

16. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #16 97 Spider, Mar 19, 2014
    490times likes this.
  17. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    #17 treedee3d, Mar 19, 2014
    Great job, I tried to remove it when I had a full repaint done on mine but was too scared I'd never find my way back so I just removed some components enough to be able to peel it back, cover it, paint the car and put it back. Luckily, my top was still in good shape and didn't need to be replaced. All I needed was to clear it out of the way for the paint job.

You have balls my friend, nice work.

When you put it back, if the back part is just too tense, it's almost impossible to slide it back with the force of your hands in so we used a hammer and it worked like a charm (YES I said it, A HAMMER!)

490times likes this.
  18. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #18 97 Spider, Mar 19, 2014
    Get the strap orientated where it needs to be on the new top. Mine had a notch in the dead center and I lined up the center stud with it after doing several measurements of my own.

The bottom flap away from the rear window wraps up first. Poke the holes for your studs with an all(sp?) or something similar. Then glue and wrap the bottom flap around the strap, the bottom flap will wrap pretty much both sides of the bar.

Next punch the holes in the upper flap under the window, glue and wrap down.

Glue in the corners making sure you get left and right correct.

I let the glue tack up before wrapping but I still used some binder clips to keep it tight and in place as I worked. I usually use them when stretching and gluing headliners. I would also be a good idea to maybe put some of that low stick painters masking tape on the outside edges of the top. It is inevitable that while you are rolling the fabric and pressing you will get glue on you fingers and transfer it every where.

As you can see I did this part in the comfort of my own dining room. My wife loves it when I do that.

490times likes this.
  19. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #19 97 Spider, Mar 19, 2014
    O.K so I get everything together and go out to fit it to the car. No matter what I do thing is WAY to small. DO NOT BY YOUR TOP FROM QUALLITY TOP AND INTERIOR ON EBAY. They say its fine I should take it to a professional because I'm too stupid to do it. I bought it several months ago and can't return it so I'm out a grand on this and I have a car with no top right when I was hoping to get out and start racking up some miles.

I grant it that this is my first shot at it but I don't see what a pro could do with this. It's like Fat Guy in a Little Coat. I bolted up the bar under the back window to find that the triangle corners were then like 2 inches farther away then I could stretch it to be mounted. If I mount the back triangles first the bar is several inches from the mounting point on the car. I tried to get nuts started and pull it in with force and maybe get some stretch but it just bends the metal.
    Measuring shows from triangle corner to corner following the contour of the back window area is like 3 inches shorter than the original top.

Anyone know how I could stretch this thing that far?

20. Dino Chang

Dino Chang Guest

Dec 29, 2012
    Indeed, not all tops are equil.
    Very sorry to hear you bought a faulty one.
    My faulty short one was bought direct from Germany. It was above the engine cover deck that it was to small and rode up when the roof was closed and tight. Although the sides were ok. Since then I buy mine directly from a company in France.
    You can't make it fit if it's a badly made one.

21. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Would you be able to hook me up with the supplier you've used and had good tops from? It looks like I will need another one. There is no way to make this one right. It's sad too it's really identical to the original top in material and stitching. It looks like a really quality item it's just 10% under sized.

22. lauris

lauris Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2005
    Glasgow
    Full Name:
    Scott Laurie
    Hi, that's dreadful service from your supplier, be very interested to know how you get on as one day I will no doubt have to replace mine. The very best of luck

regards
    Scott.

23. dblankenbaker

dblankenbaker Rookie

Feb 14, 2014
    I had a similar battle with a new factory soft top on a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited last year. The thing was 1" too short all the way around, and the header bar didn't come close to latching. It is a 3 layer premium top and is advertised as being the same fabric BMW/Mercedes/Ferrari use. The secret was to leave the Jeep/top out in the hot sun (easy here in Arizona), and tug, tug, tug! It seemed almost impossible to install, especially with the length being too short to latch the header in front. But pulling little by little, I got it done. As long as your top isn't damaged, I would stick with it. But don't waste any more time until you can let the thing sit out in 80+ degree sun for a few hours. I think if you do that, attach the rear corners, and get the header to latch, you will be able to push and pull the bar with the rear studs far enough to get the nuts started. It might take 20-30 minutes of stretching the thing, but once you start seeing progress (again, with a HOT top), you'll know you can get it done. Good luck and stick with it!

490times likes this.
  24. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #24 97 Spider, Apr 9, 2014
    Well I got back home for my days off and gave this thing another shot. I did a Google search and read up on some things to try. I probably should have read up before I even started, but you know. Anyway since Montana doesn't seem to want to give up and warm sunny days yet I went with another method a read about. I took near scalding hot water and soaked towels in it the set them on the roof. The combination of the heat and water helping to relax the canvas really help in stretching. I can't believe how far I got it to come. It still needs to go more but it is on good enough to drive and I'll keep working it when we get some sunny days.

Here's a continuation of the install:

Pull the upper and side cables through the new top. I used a piece of mechanic's wire to make this easy. Just slide the wire through, hook it to the spring and pull it all through. I hooked the spring ends up when I had enough stretching done. The springs are pulled tight when the top is up so have it down half way and you can hook the upper and screw on the sides easy. The last picture is a upper one reattached. It will slide into that little loop when I get the front of the top pulled over the frame.

25. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #25 97 Spider, Apr 9, 2014
    I hooked the front of the top over the frame where it goes (did not glue it yet) and used the frame to help me stretch it long ways. Don't force it too much and bent things I just used it to apply a little pressure. This stretched to get the top closed fairly easy with a hot wet top.

I worked it and got the nuts under the back window tight. the worked on stretching the corner by the bottom of the bottom on the window. This took some serious persistence but I finally got it were I could get the bottom clipped into the channel and forward enough to get the stud/cover button installed. It is tight as a freakin' drum.