F355 SPYDER F1 - Gearbox | FerrariChat

F355 SPYDER F1 - Gearbox

Discussion in '348/355' started by Mr355, Apr 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mr355

Mr355 Rookie

Apr 4, 2004
    I am look to purchase 1999 spyder with F1 gearbox are there any major problems with these opposed to the standard box and how much to repair/replace ($ AUS) Dollars

Regards
    Ben

2. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Have a look here:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11551&highlight=f1+gearbox

Basically it looks like you have 13kUSD in additional parts (i.e. the gearbox is on top of that) that can go wrong - doesn't say they definitely will, but they *can*. Would seem like a sensible thing to get covered by warranty.

Also, if you have a good search and read on the site, you'll find a few other items to watch out for along the lines of:

1) the gear indicators seem to have a very finite life (plenty of people seem to have suffered on here, and the cars can't be any more than 8-9yrs old) and cost upwards of 400USD to sort out.

2) Clutch wear can be a problem if the system isn't used correctly. I believe chronic wear can occur if the system is used as an "automatic", or generally abused.

3) Town use of the system can be a pain in the arse. The technique for getting it into reverse etc can be awkward.

4) Many seem to be of the opinion that the F1 transmissions are only now coming into their own on the 360CS. The 355 is significantly older than this...

With the added complications and the above, plus my Ferrari dream starting well before F1 transmissions, I went for a manual. And haven't regretted it.

I can see the attraction of these systems, but only if executed properly. So maybe my next car will have one...

3. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    firstly, the opinion seems to be that the 360F1 is a better F1 change than the 355 and I can say particularly with the early 360s this is NOT the case.

The 360 uses fly by wire throttle and in the early versions it was def worse for use and reliability.

Many comments on adverse clutch life- I can only say ive done 14K on mine , still on same clutch and others have 14/19K it depends how you use it.

On this issue of costs this is a concern.

It is possible that the actuator can go- this costs £2500 but also possible that the main pump can go and this costs £7500 so either of these packing up will cost more than a compete rebuild on a manual box. And bearing in mind im only talking about the anc items not the gearbox itself ( basically the same as manual with 12 modifications.

4. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    My advice would be to budget for the repairs and get an F1 only if you really want an F1. If you are not bothered either way, definately go for the manual -less to go wrong

I went to manual on my 355 for this reason (I was border line between the two)

5. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I'm unable to discuss drivability & cost of ownership regarding the F1, but if you'd like to see what it is about, here are a few pictures:

This is looking from the left rear quarter panel of a 355 F1. The transmission is the same, but how you shift and the shift linkage is chaned. If you notice in the front of the tranny, two rings, which are molded outwards of the tranny itself, that's where the shift linkage would go on a non-F1 car. Instead, it is removed and replaced with some kind of actuator which does the shifting for you.
    http://www.buymeaferrari.com/gallery/moorespeedtechday2/10_15_2003_015

This is the left rear quarter panel of a 355 F1. In this corner, this is where the magic happens. I'm unsure of the names of some of the items, but when you shift up, it sends a signal to this device and it, in turn, says "we gotta go up to third this time" and thus something to the tune of pressured air shoots up one of the desginated cables to the actuator in picture 1 to do the shifting.
    http://www.buymeaferrari.com/gallery/moorespeedtechday2/10_15_2003_014

The F1 on the 355 isn't that fast, but it does provide a fun factor. Hope this helps.

6. Mr355

Mr355 Rookie

Apr 4, 2004
    Thanks for the advice think Ill stick to the standard manual 6 speed.

Ive located a 1996 spyder with manual for about $40k cheaper than 99 F1 with 6000km

What is the life on a 355 engine is 40k kms to much.

The car has been involved in a rear end accident but the ferrari dealer that he services the car says that the car is mechanically A1 what is your experience with the above.

Would you spend $40k (AUS) more for newer and less Kms, Would I end up paying that for maintanance anyway.

Thanks again for tour help

Ben