F355 suspension analysis | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F355 suspension analysis

Discussion in '348/355' started by Mitch Alsup, Apr 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    As well it should.

My numbers used -0.8 as the front camber, so you are right on the mark here. Caster controls the fell of the left->right or right->left transistions. Its not overly sensitive until it get more than a full degree out of balance. You are running slightly less toe than I. Toe deadens the steering in the center and calms the car.

At the rear, I run -1.8 camber and -0.25 toe. Your rear camber and toe will cause the rear end ot be lively. If you like it this way, stick with it. If you want to calm the car down a little, add toe and subtract camber. My camber was finally set with a pyrometer on a road race track after some really hot laps. Getting the temperature profile nice and even across the tread while finding the correct air pressures.

If you are fighting the car on the street, or to rephrase the car won't let your mind wander/relax on the stereet--This implies you might want to take camber back to -0.5 front and -1.8 rear while dialing in some more toe to -0.25 both ends. This will deaden the cars on-center response without getting rid of the quickness, sensitivity, and balance with power on.

2. mfennell70

mfennell70 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    I know very little about suspension design (learning...) but a front roll center below ground seems an unusual choice. Does that picture really represents the angles of the suspension at stock ride height? With the instant centers so far out there, a tiny change in ride height makes a big change in roll center (producing results that it sounds like others have observed).

3. mfennell70

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    I know very little about suspension design (learning...) but a front roll center below ground seems an unusual choice. Does that picture really represents the angles of the suspension at stock ride height? With the instant centers so far out there, a tiny change in ride height makes a big change in roll center (producing results that it sounds like others have observed).

4. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Yes, the pictures are accurate to a couple of hundredths of an inch over 70"
    The stock ride height is confirmed in the measurements taken off the picture and with the factory shop manual.

When the roll center is at ground level, the forces in the suspension arms can change direction. The following graph shows the height of the roll center with respect to dive and roll for the front suspension: Notice how there are tow places where the suspension is 'confused'. One of the denominator terms went to zero. In actuality, one or more a-arms will changed from {tesnion:compression} into {compression:tension}. As this happens, the load on the bushings alters direction and the arm moves (a couple of hundredths of an inch) to take the new force vector.

5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    If you have/want/need your roll center at ground level, you are far better off to put the roll center a little higher or a little lower. But because when the front suspension is doing work, it is in a compressed position. Therefore, you either put your roll center just below ground level (like -0.5" with F355) or just above 2" (C5 vette) but rarely anything in between (street applications).

This then interacts with the location of your rear roll center,.....

Other than leverage effects why do you want the roll center at any one point or another?

Background;
    a) the less spring you can run the more tire traction you have
    b) the less camber change the more traction you have
    c) the lower the CoG the more traction you have
    The only reasons to use stiffer springs are:
    a) to avoid loosing more traction in camber than you loose in response to weight transfer
    b) to avoid hitting the road surface

With the front roll center lower than the rear roll center, the front takes more of the forces in turn, and this naturally generates mild understeer, but more importantly, it positions the operating point somewhere forward on the doughnut of traction. It turns out that in braking it is useful to have the front suspension loose a tiny amount of traction as it nears lock up deceleration rates, promoting stability under brakes. Positioning the roll center below the road surface positions operating point such that this effect is within alignment adjustment range. One might even use <say> ride height as the adjustment mechanism.

The downside of using this kind of adjustment is that you pick up a twitch as steering is added under brakes. Careful selection of springs sets the traction circle as BIG as possible without transversing the twitch. This limits how soft the front end can be in the F355.

In addition, with the roll center so positionied, the car will naturally understeer at the front under acceleration while turning <the forward bite regison>. So as the rear drifts into power on oversteer, the front end slowly sheds traction enhancing controlability while driving sideways under power.

At the rear the roll center is higher (4.2" for F355) (~5" vette). The high roll center shortens the lever arm and transfers less weight through the spring and more weight through the suspension arms from to the outside tire, enhancing traction. Since the rear end is not so inclined to roll from the short lever arm, the springs can be less stiff and still control body roll, also enhancing rear traction.

At the rear the raised roll center also rotates the traction profile such that maximum traction is available across the whole power on corner exit phase of cornering. So, not only is traction maximized under power, but the fron end washes out at just the right time to prevent acceleration in yaw (spin) WHEN the car is setup correctly.

The downside of using this kind of mechanism is that you may run out of traction in pure linear acceleration if the rear tires overcamber in squat. This induces fishtailing. In general you like to set up the car with access to this operation region. TO have access, transmission gears are selected to put the available traction just above the available traction to give the driver feel under throttle. However, if the car is given a serious power adder, the driver may find himself in uncharted waters (similar to the lowering without alignment situation above)

With the front ride height set to avoid a roll center at zero, the rear ride height can be used to transfer weight from the rear to the front under cornering loads. This allows one to ajust the oversteer / understeer relationship without changing any parts on the car.

The reason modders of other cars go with spring and shock packages is to get the adjustability which arrived with the Ferrari. The stiffer springs and shocks fool the casual driver into thinking he has made significant forward progress in his handling, whether he has or not is often never known. The issue is completely confused when he also changes tires, wheels and brakes at the same time. Most of the time, any reasonable set of parts would make a similar step forward. This is more indicative of the factory setup than the tuner setup.

6. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Mitch,
    This is the most comprehensive analysis on the topic I've seen (so you'll probably grin a tired grin and advise me to read some books on suspension design. Fair enough). One question though: The 348s have a reputation for twitchy handling. Have you done a comparable analysis on the 348 to suggest why this might be the case?
    Philip

7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    In the following picture, there are 3 points of intrest that distinguish the early F348 from the SS and later F348s and the subsequent F355.

1) the chassis pivot point of the upper a-arm was lowered
    2) this decreased the distance between the chassis center line and the instant center
    3) this caused the roll center to raise

The raised roll center moves the traction profile to a better position with respect tot eh suspension alignment.

In effect, the early F348 suffered from not enough rake in the roll center at the front with respect to the roll center at the rear. Thereby, not transfering enough weight to the outside front tire to wash out traction as power was applied in cornering. Making for tricky handling.

8. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I should be clear here, I invented this way of looking at the suspension effects versus traction effects. I have never seen it in any of the multitude of suspension/handling books I have studied.

9. ChuckEBaby

ChuckEBaby Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 7, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    Well done Mitch!!!! You Da Man!!!

Another thread I have to catalogue.
    When I get my 355 next Year this will
    be where part of my 15-20K for "issues"
    will go to. (If not needed, certainly checked)

I inherited "0" in the Technical & Mechanical
    gene pool, whereas my Brother got it all…
    On the other hand, I'm the salesman in the
    Family. Everyone has a Talent. Find it, build on
    it, use it. We like to joke " He can fix anything
    I can buy"

Mitch, Do you design Rockets on the side?

Grazie

Chuck

10. sboney

sboney Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    What an wonderful analysis of the 348 vs 355. For a Luddite like me I always assume some combination of alignment specs, tire tread, roll bar and spring rate would be the primary cause of the difference. Interesting to see there is more to it. Thanks!

11. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    Good approach to the whole tire/traction issue but it suffers from a large (and wrong) assumption made at the very beginning. You use a graph of camber angle versus coefficient of friction to create your "traction" surfaces. Just what makes you believe that all tires follow your camber/Cf curve and that the tires on your 355 follow them. I know from lots of personal experience that your curve is a generalized one and is not accurate for many, many tires. I have some curves from the Audi R8 lmp tires (Michelin) that I race engineer that do not look anything like what you have.

Also you have completely ignored the single most important relationship of tires to grip-that being the change in side load with varying vertical load. The Cf of a tire falls off with increasing vertical load. Since, by definition any cornering event, especially when combined with braking and accelerating, generates significant weight transfer the total grip of the tires changes significantly with vertical load.

You also make assumptions that are not always true. Such as a car always dives under braking. It does not have to. This is a function of the kinematic anti dive characteristics of the car. As an example the Williams Renault Touring car that I helped to design in the late 90's had pro lift under braking!

It actuallt gets a lot more complicated than what you are showing. The actual "traction" map of the tires depends on a multitude of properties and cannot be solved in a trivial matter.

i am not trying to belittle your effort but it really is a lot more complicated than you make out and I am afriad your graphs, though "instructive" are not accurate. To be accurate you must either use a modeling method like ADAMS, or a Moment Method analysis as developed by Bill Milliken. Lacking that you can get yourself into a lot of trouble.

12. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    As far as ignoring deflection in the suspension bushings, control arms, hubs, and tires; I am guilty. At the level of this presentation, this level of detail would not enhance the readers understanding.

As far as ignoring weight transfer, I am also guilty. However, I don't know the 3D location of the Center of Gravity, and have no way of computing the weight transfer because of this missing data point. However, I do have a way of measuring the dispalcement that takes place at the wheels relative to the body, and the traction circles used are representative of the F355 in stock condition running on max performanc street tires.

I know you can move the kinematic points around to make the car roll out of turns and rise under braking. HOWERVE, I know of no car on the road today using these kinds of suspension geometries. If you find one, it is a simple job of flipping the traction circle in the correct direction or distorting the tob/bottom and left/right dimensions.

I agree with this. The method allows the causal observer to take a car that is already WELL setup and understand what small changes might do. It is not useful in setting a car up from scratch, nor does it supplant real measurements on real cars or more detailed simulations.

It is, however, good enough to explain why one should not lower one of these cars without some knowledge of what they are getting into. And that is the reason I put it together.

And it is good enough to explain what the driver feels in the transition from pure braking as one adds steering input, and why these cars put power donw so well exiting turns.

13. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    Mitch,

I hope my "expressions" where not taken as being negative. Actually I think you have developed an interesting method of graphically representing a difficult subject in a new and unique way. Kudos and congrats on that, it is not easy to come up with original concepts but you have. Better than me there!!

Mitch, I am curious about what you are using for your suspension software. I see you have scanned in the front (or rear) views of the car and then have laid some instant center lines to get your SVSA and roll center heights. Are you laying this out with a CAD package and/or using a suspension package like Mitchell's?

One of these days, with some time I might look at presenting some more theory behind suspension kinematics and dynamics that might help explain some of the mysteries of car handling. Given enough persuasion I might even go into the differences between a kinematic roll center (Which is actually wrong) and a force derived roll center (which is still kinda wrong but less so!)
    and why the magic key to handling is roll moment generation front and rear and the relationship of that to vehicle suspensions. Every one pull out their calculators and computers!

14. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I hopw my response did not indicate any negativity with respect to your acknowledgements of the inadequacies of the technique.

What I did was to take the scans from the owners manual, and then in a CAD program scale and position those scans so that they represent both sides of the actual suspension. I measured a couple of points (on my F355) just be verify the scaling and positioning. From this drawing, I placed measurement points on all the important pivots. Then I took those measurement points to the 3D suspension analysis program.

The lines denoting the roll center and instant centers were only drawn for the benefit of the reader and were not actually used in the 3D analyzer, however, the 3D analyser DID come up with points that were within 'drawing' error of the drawn points (static position). And indeed, these points do move around as the car moves around on its suspension.

I don't actually remember what 3D program it was, as this data gathering and analysis was done over a year ago. I do remember that the software was a free download for 2 or 4 weeks of use. I removed the software when it was no longer useable. I have written a 2D version in eXcel, and that program agrees very well with the 3D program. One item I would like to point out to the curious, is that the program I used seems to be using 32-bit floating point numbers (instead of 64-bit or 80-bit floating point numbers) at least in a few cases. This can be seen in the traction profiles as jagged edges on the surface profiles.

I'll be waiting.

15. mfennell70

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    Ah, right. I had been thinking of a particular car where lowering the suspension puts the roll center below ground and that was a Bad Thing. I forgot that the rear roll center of that car was quite high.

Thanks for the excellent write up.

16. Jonas Jarlmark

Apr 7, 2004
    Impdesigner:

The data for the Audi R8's Michelin tyres, are they Magic Formula data that are measured at 40 deg Celsius or are they proper tyre curves at a relevant temperature on a relevant surface?

The data I get from Michelin for the cars I'm race-engineering are all MF-data @ 40deg and I had some work making them inte heated-up typical behaviour. Still havent managed to make the relaxation-lenght do what the tyre does to the car...

/ Jonas Jarlmark

17. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    Jonas,

Michelin is quite "tight" with tire data. After a lot of hassling I got some Pajecka coefficients out of them (Magic formula stuff) but nothing that relates that to "real" conditions.

Also the data was actually gotten by me when I was designing the Williams/BMW LMP cars in 98 and 99.

Tire data is about the hardest (and most critical) of all data to get for vehicle modeling. often times I have wound up adding a "correction factor" (grip factor?) to my vehicle models to correct for lack of tire data. I describe the car as completely as possible and then run a lap simulation for a known car config and a known track. I then "tweak" the grip factor until I get the lap simulator to match the real lap time. I do this with a couple of differing car set ups and when I get a grip factor that works I then can start doing some proper "what if" scenarios on car set up. Of course this only works for that track and those tires!

The other problem (Goodyear is famous for this) is that I will get tire data for a new tire, say about 3-4 weeks after the race has been run!! But at least I can see what I should have had as a set up!

What type cars are you working on and where? I am with Audi Sport Japan/Team Goh (And others but they are ichi ban number one!) and will be doing the LMES and LeMans.

18. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    guys,
    this is all great stuff - and I'm starting to understand a bit (I think). Its a real pleasure to attempt to learn about this in such detail from you pros.

I'm trying to apply what I've learn't on this to a scenario I would like to achieve on my 355 Spider.

Firstly my goals (like many others) are:
    1)make the car look more aggressive by lowering and/or adding wheel spacers.
    2)NOT change the tires/brakes or wheels from stock (as these are all new).
    3)Budget of 2-2.5K pounds (3-4K dollars)

If I lower the car by 1 or 2" and put stiffer springs on the car, and wheel spacers of up to 1" or so, this sounds like I may be heading in an OK direction...? as long as the springs are a lot stiffer right ?

Thanks for any comments
    Ade
    (sorry for being a bit thick!)

19. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    A) have you scrapped the nose with road surface anywhere in the last 6 months? If not, where do you live? drive? I can't even get out of my own driveway without touching the nose at stock height.

B) I should forwarn you that 'I' consider lowering a car to make it look agressive is 'RICE'. Lowering it for a purpose is acceptable when you know what you are doing.

C) Lowering a car such as an F355 (which starts out 1.5" lower than a Vette) does not gain as much as lowering a Vette since the CoG is already low and the track is wide.

D) a spider is not generally considered a track-like car, so the question of why you want to move the car in this direction returns to the concept of RICE.

E) adding spacers adds stress to the axle bearings, going for 1" of spacers on each side is very agressive and might require some recountoring of the inner fender area to avoid rubbing.

But on with the questions:

If you are going to lower the car 1" you should be looking at springs that are about 40% stiffer than stock, and you SHOULD change the roll bars to match this 40% stiffness gain*. If you lower the car 2" (you now only have 2.2" of ground clearance) you are going to need closer to 100% gain in spring rate to keep from bottoming. Shocks need to follow the spring rates. These spring rate suggestions are stiffer than needed by the traction profile analysis and are used more to keep the car from <ahem> interaction with the road surface than in optimizing the traction profile.

So lowered, the car will transfer weight significantly faster (lower CoG, stiffer springs and shocks) so the driver has to stay ahead of the car (no resting on long trips). Most drivers cannot do this with a stock suspension over 120 MPH unless they get regular track practice (like 6 times per year). The car will slide easier, and won't have quite as much traction due to the stiffer springs. Interior comfort will decrease and shakes and rattles will increase. Finally, the car will become very sensitive to suspension alignments and alignment procedures.

*Side note: why does every high performance car NEED anti roll bars?

Explanation: consider the displacement of the front suspension under two sets of acceleration a) heavy braking, b) pure cornering; both performed at 1Gs of acceleration.

The longitudinal dive under braking has to do with the weight transfer and the effective spring rate at the front wheels. This is governed by the CoG and the wheelbase.

The latteral roll under heavy pure cornering has to do with weight transfer and the effective spring rate of the side of the car. This is goverened by the CoG and the track.

Most cars have a wheelbase that is around 150% (+/-) of the track.

So the dive under brakes will only be 66% (1/150%) of the roll under pure cornering. What we want is to be able to transition from pure braking to pure cornering with the outside tire not raising nor falling during this transition. An antiroll bar set to the correct value adds 'effective' spring rate in roll that is not present in dive to accomodate this requirement.

So the antiroll bar is making up for the wheelbase being longer than the track such that the suspension movement at each corner is normalized in both acceleration directions.

20. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Great Thread!

Mitch,

Thanks for taking the time. My 348 a 92ts, was very well set up, though I think I just kind of lucked out since I didn't set it up myself. The car exhibited all of the positive characteristics you've mentionned and was not twitchy. Though, don't let off on the throttle too fast mid turn. What I found wonderfull with my 348 was the ability to throttle steer when the car was well loaded in a turn.

I think that what most of us should get from this is that careful alignment and set-up can maximize the car's handling, predictability and safety.

Well done.

21. Nick R

Nick R Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2004
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    Nick R
    Mitch,

I can’t stop laughing! I really enjoyed it when you said “A) have you scrapped the nose with road surface anywhere in the last 6 months? If not, where do you live? drive? I can't even get out of my own driveway without touching the nose at stock height.”

Thank you again for a great laugh!

Nick

22. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    Thanks Mitch! really helpful indeed, thanks for taking the time to write all of that. I know very little on the subject - sure you can tell :) .

I live in London UK, the roads where I live are pretty good generally, so its no problem lowering the car... if you don't mind the tougher ride ofcourse.

I don't know what RICE means - is this an American thing? I'm guessing I fall into your 'worst nightmare' scenario... young guy, likes to mess with his car without understanding. :-(

23. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    RICE is what happens to innocent automobiles (mainly Japaneese) when enthusiastic (younger) owners spend all their cash and energy on wings, body work, paint, wheels,.... trying to trick out a car and make it LOOK fast (without actually making it fast).

24. Jonas Jarlmark

Apr 7, 2004
    Mitch:

Intresting side note on anti-roll bars. I have always simulated the car on track with the transition load cases and never reflected over the fact that you actually could make the outer front / inner rear damper to not move at all with a certain setup of anti roll bars. Naturally, the asumption that the driver can utilise the full tyre elipse during the transition from braking to cornering has to be made if it should work.

I'll think a bit more about it and run some simulations and come back.

LMP-designer: Don't know if you got my PM. Working on my PhD in Vehicle Dynamics and as a race engineer for SRTS in the Formula Renault V6 EuroCup. Worked previously for Toyota Motorsport on simulation of the Le Mans car GT-One.

/ Jonas Jarlmark

25. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    Mitch, great work very impressive.